CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Bike Broken??

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Broken??

So I went to go for a ride yesterday and when I tried to start the bike up it turned over a couple times and then made a clunk noise. I tried to engage the clutch and attempt to start it again and noticed that my clutch lever was all of a sudden VERY stiff. Now the bike won't even turn over and the clutch doesn't work at all.?????? If anyone has any ideas as to what the problem could be it would be greatly appreciated. My mechanic can't even look at it for a week
The bike only has about 16 000 miles on it?????

Old 05-10-2008, 11:48 PM
Banned
Default RE: Bike Broken??

Well from the sounds of it buddy, you're bottom end is toast. My guess is the clutch won't work because the engine is seized.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:33 AM

WOW... Man do I hope you are wrong... guess I'll find out Thurs

Old 05-11-2008, 01:10 PM
RCR

A little more clarification please. Does the starter try to turn over? does it turn and stops in a bind or it doesn'tengage at all?

can you put it in gear and push it to make the engine turn?

Just a wild guess from what you posted: The clutch assembly or basket broke causing the the jam and not letting it turn over.

But Kid, Wouldn't you think the clutch would still work (as in engaging and releasing)if the bike siezed? I hope for Dan it's the clutch and not that.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:30 PM

Another test is to put it in gear, whilst on a paddock stand (rear in the air)
pull in the clutch with side stand up and then turn it over.

Let us know what happens.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:48 PM

yeah, more info needed. you could just be stuck in gear and not in neutral anymore (in which case, 929 won't start regardless of whether you have your hand on clutch or not).

Old 05-13-2008, 07:51 AM

^^ In response...

Not trying to be sarcastic, but I think mine will start while in 1st. I've killed it before not paying attention at a stop light and I didn't have to shift back to neutral.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:59 PM

well.. I take it to the shop tomorrow. Man... wish me luck! (Honda's are bulletproof... MY ***!)

Old 05-14-2008, 10:47 PM
Banned

^^^Easy!

Well Honda can't watch after every bike when it leaves the factory, either, though I'd be happy to talk to management about teh position...

They'll all start in gear but only when the clutch is disengaged.

The reason I said toast is for some reason just sounds like a trashed valve or something jamming up a cylinder unless it threw a rod... I dunno. But if I heard a clunk and ^that **** happened (I would first try to roll it to see that it's free), I would probably go ahead and assume it's toast.

Did you do any good, hard riding before you put it up? Maybe stretching your legs on the ride home?

Could have happened then and manifested once the bike cooled and the block shrank...

I know man, seems like I'm saying terrible stuff, lol, I hope it's not but good luck buddy. Let us know - PLEASE - for the love of gawd not another dead, "Won't start" thread

Old 05-14-2008, 11:00 PM
Banned

Forgot to ask and answer a question...

RCR, if you throw a rod or spin a main bearing and **** starts moving around in therethe crank can definitely pin the flywheel against the clutch (not in the good way, lol). You may or may not even in that scenario crack your block so you might not be able to see it from the outside. This is all worst case scenario but again, better off hoping for the worst, I guess.

Dan02, did the bike sound perfectly normal for those few moments when you started it (before the clunk)? No weird noises, odd idle sound... anything?

Let us know what ya find out!

Quick Reply: Bike Broken??