CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

?am i going crazy or what?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?am i going crazy or what?

So I figured it was time to buy some sliders for my '01 929 and Vortex was the way to go. I boughtthese because of some of the reviews I read. When they finally arrived they did not fit on the bike because the bolt was a few cm too short. In fact, the only way I could get one of them to fit (right side if it matters) was by using the bolt by itself - in that case the bolt only threaded one less-than-full turn.

So I contact customer service and explain the situation to them, even suggesting that perhaps Vortex put a shorter bolt in there or maybe they could get me a bolt a few cm bigger.

They ask for the product # written on the packaging and for my VIN, I guess to make sure that I got the right item for my bike. Whatever, I provided the information. They tell me:
The problem is that you ordered the sliders for the CBR929RR, but your bike is a CBR900RR. Unfortunately, Vortex does not make sliders for your bike.
So after a minor episode of thinking that I've been riding a fake '98 900RR thats been modded to look like a 929, says 929 on the registration and all other corresponding paperwork, feeling like everything in the world around me isn't what it seems like I just discovered the matrix or sumn

...I snapped back to reality and had to explain to them that the name may be called 900RR but it has 929cc's and therefore is sometimes called a 929 - the way Vortex has it on their website and all the vortex packaging they sent me. To no avail, customer service kept telling me that I don't have a 929RR, that I drive a 900RR, and that they don't sell sliders for 929RR's.

Even when I explained to them that Vortex frame sliders for a 2001 cbr over 900cc's have only one option on their website, they said that they only advertise names of bikes by what their vin # calls them.

So is my 929 really a 900RR, or were they just stickin to that story cuz they had nothin else, not realizing that what the vin says and what Vortex calls the bike don't have to match.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Banned
Default RE: ?am i going crazy or what?

I don't have vortex sliders but yes, as far as paperwork, everything should read, "CBR900RR." Marketing purposes led to the 929RR being displayed everywhere since it was new and apart from the old-model, actual 900RR's (919cc)but still a 9.

Order them for the 954. That's your ticket, buddy.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:46 PM

Well these Vortex sliders I have say CBR929/954 01-03 so i'll still end up with these.

Has anyone bought/ used these before? My bikes stock and it doesn't make sense that the bolt wouldn't fit.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:05 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

I cant say for sure about the Vortex, but mine are side specific, and notched. If yours are similar maybe your just have a small mix up ?

Old 03-11-2008, 12:26 AM

yea the Vortex ones are the same way as far as right and left go. They're different in that the base and slider are two pieces that attach seamlessly. The bolt is 7.5cm long and the threading starts at 4cm from the top. If anyone has an extra bolt or somethin layin around and could share the measurement info it'd be real helpful.

Vortex base
Left side base
The bolt inside the base piece
Slider attachment

Old 03-11-2008, 12:32 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Come to think of it the ones on the bike when i bought it were Vortex me thinks. I have them laying around somewhere, i can prolly dig them out tomorrow evening. I will check this thread when i get home from work, if no one else has helped by then i will go dig them out of wherever i buried them heh.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:57 AM

Mine are Vortex, they are different from one side to the other. Did you happen to make sure they are on the proper side?

Old 03-11-2008, 01:16 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

^^ i did that mix up on my buddies 636 and couldnt figure out why it wouldnt work untill i realized it was on the wrong side then it worked fine [:@]

Old 03-11-2008, 01:44 AM

yea, neither bolt will fit on either hole with the corresponding base. Think i'll try some hardware store to see if they have a bolt of this size / allen head that I can thread myself.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:21 AM

I bought two different sets (off brands)and had the same problem. I used the one bolt from the other set and made them work. They don't want to put the time in to get the right bolt.Becareful, and get a longer bolt because if it is too short you will pull the threads out over time.

Quick Reply: ?am i going crazy or what?