CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

2nd gear slipping to neutral - help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd gear slipping to neutral - help!

Just like the title says, last night and today, my 2nd gear is slipping back into N under medium accel (i.e. freeway entrance ramps). I've been told by a couple of shops around here that it's from me pulling 2nd gear wheelies, down shifting too hard, or skipping the gear when shifting. But I don't do any of that stuff!

Any ideas of what could be going on/what kind of repairs I can expect to make?

On a side note, it's running hotter too. Usually it runs around 178-189 degress on the freeway, today it was 206-217. Please help

Background info -

bought the bike used from a dealer
32,000 miles
I've never abused it, dealer said it was a daily driver before me

Old 07-05-2006, 02:07 PM
Default RE: 2nd gear slipping to neutral - help!

Slipping into neutral: Who is to say how the previous owner shifted gears? Did he power shift (no clutch) or did he shift the right way? It is possible the gear is rounded off to the point of it slipping back into neutral especially if he was doing this while riding a wheelie. Hopefully someone else in this forum is able to assist you more than me. I don't pull wheelies very often so I can't speak to wear and tear associated with that practice. I would seek a second opinion from another dealer as well.

Higher temp: When was the last time the coolant level was checked/changed? The temps you are reporting are they in the same conditions? I have seen when riding on the highway when it is like 70-80 out carrying your lower temps and seen when it was closer to 90 that I couldn't get the engine below 190. 206-217 on the highway does seem too high if this is after riding a steady speed for a couple miles though. Next I would possible check your thermostat to verify 1) displaying correct temp on the gauge, 2) thermostat is opening up to allow enough coolant to get to the engine so that it can actually cool down, which goes back to my first question of coolant level.

Let us know what you find out, I am sure it will help someone else out in the future when they exhibit the same symptoms.

Old 07-05-2006, 09:58 PM

my 954 did the same thing! sliped in and out of gear 2nd gear under load. Ended up replacing the shift fork. I had it done under warranty so it didnt cost me, but the shop said it would have been over an $800 job if they would have charged me. Sorry man but it sounds like the same prob mine had.

Old 07-05-2006, 11:28 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I've spoken to everyone I know and I 've gotten a small list of responses; everything from shift levers/forks to ground of gear teeth (just like you guys suggested). One guy even told me not to turn it on again and have it towed to the shop for fear of metal bits floating in the engine and doing more damage. It's going in for it's 32,000 OEM warranty check this friday so hopefully I'll know something early next week. I'm really hoping this will fall under it. If it does, I'll be exstatic (sp?) that I bought that extended warranty. I'll let you guys know how everyhting turns out.

Old 07-13-2006, 01:25 PM

Well, finally got an answer. Bent shift fork. Only problem is they want to take apart the whole engine and dig through the tranny as well, a $2k + job. This is the third shop that's said this, so it looks like I just have to suck it up. Thank goodness I bought a service plan on the bike (that covers 50% labor and parts on repairs outside OEM). Looks like I'm without my bike for the rest of the season; they won't work on an engine/tranny until sept/oct. Then I'm probably going to end up selling it. This sucks.[sm=smiley19.gif]

Old 07-13-2006, 03:25 PM

Did they give a reason for digging thru the tranny?

Old 07-13-2006, 03:49 PM

They said in order to fix the shift forks and make sure it's not a gear grinding, they would have to tear it apart.

Old 07-13-2006, 04:18 PM

But if they go in to fix the fork, and see that it is the fork would they have to go in the trans anyway? I am asking because its obviously a big money difference, and driber said when they fixed his it apparently was just the fork. So I was not clear why they want to go further with yours than they did with his.

Old 07-13-2006, 06:19 PM

They shouldn't have to tear it apart. I have my engine with a bad 4th gear shift fork that i am repairing myself. You DO NOT need to split the engine in half to get to the forks!!!! The obvious answer to the (going in for a deeper look) is to rack up the repair charges! Come on man don't fall for that. It is YOUR bike and they are probally wanting to check out the (dog ears) out on the gears. The shift fork is a common problem with these engines and that is in most cases just the fork! Go for the simple thing first, tell them to just replace the fork. Thats all they did with mine and that's what i am doing with the spare engine im working on. Anyway i ended up buying an engine w/3,200 miles on ebay for $500. I pulled my original engine and am working on that while i have a good running engine in the bike so i can still go riding.....$2,000 to REPAIR an engine????? Someone is trying to screw you!!

Old 07-13-2006, 06:54 PM

I second that. Be firm with them, DON'T let them screw you man.

Quick Reply: 2nd gear slipping to neutral - help!