CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

2001 honda 929rr one spark plug not working and smoking from exhaust

Old 03-19-2010, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 honda 929rr one spark plug not working and smoking from exhaust

i just got this 929rr the other week and rode it for a couple days and man are they strong. but i was going to ride again a couple days later and it started running like crap. so i poured some injector cleaner in it and that didnt help so my friend looked at it and noticed that one of the piped behind the front tire wasnt getting hot. so i changed all the spark plugs and its still running like crap and smoking pretty heavy kinda smells like raw gas. any ideas is really needed. thanks.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:18 PM

Since it smells like gas the gas isn't burning, so no spark. Pull that plug to see if it's screwed the pooch. If it looks fine, put the coil on it and see if it fires. Then test the same coil with a plug you know is firing fine, if it still doesn't fire you know either the coil is bad or a wire is busted going to the coil. If you want to be trashy just unplug the injector to that cylinder and run a 750 triple.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Default 929

okay i pulled the plug out and yes it does throw a pretty good blue flame but before i checked it there was raw gas in the lip of the spark plug. i switched the injectors on that one cylinder and still the same problem. the same header still does not heat up....whats next a valve problem

Old 04-07-2010, 06:03 PM

If it's sparking and you swapped injectors so it's getting "good" fuel you shouldn't have a problem, It may be that the ecu is sending way too much fuel and it can't ignite. Mixtures of about 9:1~10:1 can be rich enough to bog an engine down and stall it. So if it's happening on a single cylinder that might be the problem. You'll need a dwell meter to measure the duty cycle of that injector compared to the rest at varying rpms. It could also be that the circuit is bad so the injector is always open. Measure the voltage at the injector clip for each one while using the power switch to do the whole priming thing. You should see 12V at each one for a split second, then 0V, you may not even see it on a voltmeter because it's a fast series of pulses. But if one is shorted on, it will show a steady 12V all the time, leaving that injector open all the time to dump in fuel like crazy.