CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Where do I find footpeg hangers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 06:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do I find footpeg hangers?

Ive had my bike what a week? And was playing around, tweaking the foot and hand controls for maximum confort for my 6'2" mansized frame and noticed the left side peg was tweaked slightly, as well as the shift lever being about half an inch too high for manic upshifts...

I got my jemmy and carefully tweaked the hanger back to being straight, then got my trusty peice of scaffolding tube and put it over the peg and tweaked that straight too. I was being careful not to put too much leverage on the thing, and yep, I did just that and snapped off the peg, halfway through the hole. Bollocks.

I went and welded a nice chunk of alloy back on the offending hanger and drilled a hole when it was all done so now the peg is about 1/4 fatter and not too pretty, but seems solid and straight enough.

My friendly neighourhood parts importer quoted me something like $450 for rearsets, and a whopping $60 for the stupid Honda Hanger. He laughed when he asked what I thought it was worth.. I said, about $6 for a bit of alloy perhaps $10 for import duty and shipping, after all its just an alloy V with three holes drilled in it..

Is he looking in the wrong place? The bike is so clean and pretty I dont want to start deteriorating the thing with bits of welding and black tape if I can avoid it, or should I just pony up the $60 for a lesson well learned? Frankly I have tweaked a lot of pegs and levers in my time, and never broke a single one till yesterday..

CJ

Old 01-23-2008, 07:16 AM
Default RE: Where do I find footpeg hangers?

$60 sounds about right. Dealer cost here in the US on the right peg hangar is 27.80. Retail would be $45 give or take. Being in Panama I could see the price being $15 more than that.

Factory parts are expensive. I've bought enough new parts now that I'm kind of immune to the sticker shock but the first couple of times I placed an order I about passed out. $12.00 for a single body fastener??? You gotta be kidding! Anyway, that's how it is.If you want a real treat, ask your dealer how much a fuel tank is for your bike. They're $600-$800 here depending on what color you're buying and what dealer you're buying from.

If you ever have to straighten any of those parts again (brake pedal, rearsets, shifter, or levers)Use heat. I've straightened out some levers that were bent pretty far. I was figuring on having to replace them anyway so what the hell?... I have been shocked at the fact they'll usually straighten out without cracking, just have to get them good and hot.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:18 AM
Default RE: Where do I find footpeg hangers?

My welded repair is probably stronger than stock, and is 1/4in thicker too..

As I am a strapping lad (ok, a bit old for lad now, but I am man sized) I want to get the pegs a little more rearwards and perhaps half an inch lower.

Luckily for me I have a close friend who owns a machine shop, so I plan on taking one of the hangers along and fabricating me a pair out of steel half an inch back, half an inch down to get the legroom I crave.. I might have to cut and extend the shift rod, but the other side is no problem.

I dont even know if the rear brake even works..

CJ