CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

What octane do you run in your 900RR?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What octane do you run in your 900RR?

yeah and its rumored to go up more, I guess they got to offset the cost of shipping fuel to the middle of the pacific ocean somehow LOL, not to mention finance a certain presidents screw up...er...war...er...mistake...ummmm...I dont know...whatever you wanna call it...LOL...
Name:  5555C314EACC4F15A81ACC55EFC2D57D.gif
Views: 517
Size:  4.9 KBBUSH

Old 03-06-2008, 06:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 3rd world gas comes in at an astounding $3.42 a gallon of 91..

95 (not a typo, thank you kindly) is $3.67 right now.. It doesnt make my bikes or cars run any better..

CJ

Old 03-06-2008, 07:35 AM

ORIGINAL: 89ls1

Matt - What part of Texas are you in?
ft hood/killeen area. i have only seen 2 900rrs in this area

Old 03-06-2008, 09:57 AM

Im in the Austin area...Have not found anyone around to ride with yet.

ORIGINAL: dr_crayon

95 (not a typo, thank you kindly) is $3.67 right now.. It doesnt make my bikes or cars run any better..
If they sold that around here I would probably put it in my stuff. Of course my car is a track/street racer....

Old 03-06-2008, 10:19 AM

ORIGINAL: mattthecat

ft hood/killeen area. i have only seen 2 900rrs in this area

Theres about to be a third 900rrwhen i get back from afghanistan in july.

From what ive been told about the gas is that lower octane gas actually creates more horsepower than higher octane gas. and that u wont notice much differnce between the two, higher octane gas has more of an effect on cars because they have the knock sensors. Some one on this site told me about that a while back. i cant remember who it was though.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:25 AM

ORIGINAL: tutman6

From what ive been told about the gas is that lower octane gas actually creates more horsepower than higher octane gas. and that u wont notice much differnce between the two, higher octane gas has more of an effect on cars because they have the knock sensors. Some one on this site told me about that a while back. i cant remember who it was though.

That is incorrect. A higher octane fuel burns hotter and faster therby creating a more explosive combustion therby creating more power by pushing the pistons down more forcefully (torque). All a knock sensor does it detect knock and tells the computer to retard timing as to not damage the engine. Knock can be caused by bad fuel, to much timing, running to lean, running WAY to rich, hell I have even seen false knock occur due to bad motor mounts and other crazy things.

This info is based of my knowledge of working on cars, but I believe it still holds true with motorcycle engines. Atleast 4cycle engines

Old 03-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

none of the above. We run in a different name in my place here. There are only2 type; RON92 (leaded petrol) and RON97 (super unleaded). Basically all the vehicles here run with super unleaded fuel and maybe some really old vehicles will use the leaded fuel.

Well the price is still a very sensitive issue here.. lets see; 1liter = RM1.92, 1 gal (3.79l) =RM7.28. USD1 = RM3.3; 1gal=USD2.20

Maybe its appear very much cheaper than most of you out there but the direct comparison between countries can't be the same.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:58 PM

So I take it the RON97 is 97octane? I still wish I only had to pay 2.20 for my fuel[sm=boohoo.gif]

Old 03-07-2008, 02:18 AM

ORIGINAL: tutman6

That is incorrect. A higher octane fuel burns hotter and faster therby creating a more explosive combustion therby creating more power by pushing the pistons down more forcefully (torque). All a knock sensor does it detect knock and tells the computer to retard timing as to not damage the engine. Knock can be caused by bad fuel, to much timing, running to lean, running WAY to rich, hell I have even seen false knock occur due to bad motor mounts and other crazy things.

This info is based of my knowledge of working on cars, but I believe it still holds true with motorcycle engines. Atleast 4cycle engines

this is worth checking out a forum on octane raring from a while back--https://cbrforum.com/m_160707/tm.htm

heres a quote from that write up
"Octane is NOT a measure of power capability by any means, ever!
Octane simply gauges a fuel's ability to resist knocking. That's it. The end"

Thats not even the forum i was talking about earlier theres others out there saying the same thing.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:06 AM

In a way octane should be a measure of power capability because by resisting knocking you can further increase timing which can further increase power!
If you where to use a lower octane you would invariably have to back off timing so as to not induce knock which can damage your engine.

but I do agree with the part of the quote:
"Octane simply gauges a fuel's ability to resist knocking. That's it. The end"

Quick Reply: What octane do you run in your 900RR?