CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Waving

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waving

Hello to all. I am a new member. I have been gathering and learning from all of you for a few months now, this is a great resource for help and how-tos. I started out in 1992 on a Rebel 450. Sold it to pay medical bills from a snowboarding jump gone bad. I have since purchased a 98 CBR 900RR. I know its alot of bikeand I do my best to keep checking myself and to respect the bike and its abilities beyond my capabilities. I am 34years old learning turning techniques and body possitions lately...I am also interested in learning throttle technique and extreme acceleration control, as well as How to lean off the bike properly. Pleased to be a part of the forum, hopefully I can add to its preferred professionalism and insight. Thanks again,

Soooooo.....that being said and done, I wanted to ask if there were any specific ride-by wave signals that I don't know about out there. I am aware that it is common practice to wave at other riders in passing, but couldn't there also be a signal system integrated into the waves. Such as....letting the rider going the other way know there is gravel in a turn ahead, or a speed trap, or the road is closed, oranyhting of the sort. Has anyone evr heard of such a system of wave signals? Just a trivial interest. My wife, who is going to start riding when we find the right bike, suggested that we use ASL (American Sign Language) to communicate on trips, for such things as hunger, bathroom breaks, stop and see something, fuel low. Anyway....

Great to be here,
Silverman

Old 09-07-2008, 09:10 PM
Default RE: Waving

I just give a wave with my left hand, right hand on throttle.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:13 PM
Cro

Around here if you see a bike tap the top of his helmet with his left hand there is a cop close.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

haha I always feel amused with the alert of the cops though. It always happen anywhere anytime!

Hey silver welcome to the forum man! Great bike and post up some pics too. I will try to wave to my fellow bikers but most of the time it will be a nod; its not easy to wave out of sudden from the twisties or while you are going fast. Apart from that I'm not sure of any notification signals except when I'm in a large convoy where the marshals will communicate themselves with radios and alert the others if there is any obstruction or danger ahead

Old 09-07-2008, 10:06 PM

Welcome Silverman!

Old 09-08-2008, 09:58 PM

I like to raise my middle finger in salute as I scream by . . . .

Old 09-09-2008, 03:30 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ That's a harley or chopper rider's antics, you should change your bike then... [8D]

Old 09-09-2008, 07:15 PM

Whatever you do, new riders, never give the "wave of death."

Ithas often been cited as the trigger for wars and general armageddon [&o]

Old 09-09-2008, 07:47 PM

I think these are pretty universal and understood where I ride:

Tap on top of helmet: Cop
Left hand out, fingers horizontal, hand waving up and down: Slow down
Left hand out, fingers horizontal wiggling fingers, moving left to right: Sand / traction danger
Thumb down, tapping on tank: Need fuel
Left hand vertical, chopping front to back next to helmet: Clear to pass
Left hand horizontal waving left to right: No, or not clear to pass
Foot pointing left or right: Debris on road / road hazard

One other one we use, is to indicate a number with the left hand... then with the left hand across your chest, fingers vertical... do a quick jump with your hand forward... indicating an intersection or exit...

So you can basically go.... left hand 2.... the quick jump, and indicate right, to let the riders with you know you're say exiting the highway on the 2nd off ramp from where you are.

Then the obvious ones for left turn, right turn, stopping...

I give a quick peace sign wave to most oncoming sports bikes. Squids usually get a sarcastic "thumbs up"

A few people I ride with use ASL for more specific directions, destinations, exits etc...

my 2 cents.

- Pixel -

Old 09-09-2008, 08:44 PM

Good post, I had no idea there were so many waves.

At stoplights I will sometimes do the "Macarena" to make sure drivers see me.

Quick Reply: Waving