CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

vibration problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: vibration problem

I have braided lines on my front and i only feel vibration in the front when i hit them hard, but then again that was when my front fork busted and i didnt realize i was leaking fluid im hoping new front fork seals fix the problem, it was only when i jammed them HARD like stoppie hard or lock up hard.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If the vibration is constant while you are riding, then it is your wheel. If it's only when you apply the brake, the most likely cause is your fork settings.However I recomend you the do what JP had described above to ensure your brakes are ok. Good luck.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:38 AM

problem here is that the honda dealer has no mechanic for the moment so i have to try to fix this my self...

no i dont have braided lines
i did check the "disk nut's" and the all are lose,the steel of the diskcan "float freely"
the vibration isONLY there when i apply the front brakes (200km/h with no brakes and its fine)
with hi speed braking it is a big vibration, but the slower the speed, it goes over to be pulsing or brake/release/brake/release sensation
i did mont a pencil to the shock-leg and both the disk and the rim seems fine when turning the wheel
but if i hold light on the brake and turn the wheel,i can feel brake/release/brake/release
did take the front axel out and it is fine

in my mind it can only be a bad: brakedisk or caliber

what do you think ?

Old 05-16-2008, 08:51 AM

CBR900RR,

I have to agree with the guys here, and with your last post, it's one or both of the rotors, what you will need to do is remove them.Use a 12 inch scale, one that you know is good and true, like a carpenters square. Lay each of the rotors on a good flat surface and check them as many times a possible between each of the steels, check both if there is any light between the scale and the rotor surface or the scalewill rock up and down, then you know the out come. You have a warped rotor or rotors.

Calipers will work or the won't work, if the piston is frozen the brake will either say applied, or back in where it will not come out and push the pad agains the rotor. What you are feeling through the brake lever is a paulsationof the warped rotor, This is becausethe brake pad and caliper are moving in conjection with the surface of the rotor.

The local dealer doesn't need a mechanic on duty to check them, if you have a warped rotor / rotors I would take them back and show him and would ask for a refund.

I would take them back along with your square and show him where the problem is and thatthere iswarpage.

Good luck and let us know what you fine.

[sm=partyparty.gif]

Old 05-16-2008, 04:01 PM

Couldn't say better than that !
A caliper just applies on the rotor. If you feel your brake lever goes back in your hand then that's because the pads are pushed back by a bent rotor.
I can't remember having bought a bike that had straight rotors (I buy crashed bikes from salvages ...). I can assure you that one can say his rotors are straight when your eyes can't see a bent on them when your wheel is rolling freely (without calipers) with you facing the wheel. Damn, I made it complicated again ... [&:]

When you say your disks are "floating freely", is this difficult to make them "float" ? If not, then the rings are loose and ... dribble !

Now I should try to stop adding my 2 cents now ... [8D]

J

ORIGINAL: ZRX1

I have to agree with the guys here, and with your last post, it's one or both of the rotors, what you will need to do is remove them.Use a 12 inch scale, one that you know is good and true, like a carpenters square. Lay each of the rotors on a good flat surface and check them as many times a possible between each of the steels, check both if there is any light between the scale and the rotor surface or the scalewill rock up and down, then you know the out come. You have a warped rotor or rotors.

Calipers will work or the won't work, if the piston is frozen the brake will either say applied, or back in where it will not come out and push the pad agains the rotor. What you are feeling through the brake lever is a paulsationof the warped rotor, This is becausethe brake pad and caliper are moving in conjection with the surface of the rotor.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:48 AM

hello again, i have now got new rotors and new pad's and did think it all was ok but....
it still vibrates

when i brake the brake lever feels fine and NO pulsing there
butthere isa vibration in the lower front part of the bike that i only feel then using the front brake[:@]

eny idea's?

Old 05-30-2008, 10:57 AM

Well you replaced all the moving parts except for the bearings. Guess take a look at them. Put your bike on a front stand and spin the wheel if you hear clicking the bearings are probably dead, also check for lateral movement again if you get some it's bad news for the bearings. Good news is that they are cheap. I guess also check the calipers to make sure they're not loose.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:46 PM

Well at least you solved part of the problem : you don't feel that pulse sensation ... wich means you did have a problem to either rotors or pads.
Bearings could indeed be something to look at next.
I realize we did not ask you what kind of vibration you're feeling. You feel them when riding, in your the clip-ons, right ? When vibrating, do you feel like your clip-ons are going left to right or up and down (more likely back and forth) ?

J

Old 06-03-2008, 10:48 AM

Rotars are warped....

Old 06-03-2008, 12:12 PM

ORIGINAL: CBR900RR

hello again, i have now got new rotors and new pad's and did think it all was ok but....
it still vibrates
eny idea's?
ORIGINAL: BEAU Rotars are warped....
thats the first thing he replaced, so unless he got a new,warped set of rotors which is possible but extremely unlikley the problem is somewhere else, im with everyone else on this, bearings seem to be the only thing left.

Quick Reply: vibration problem