CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Twitchy throttle

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 12:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twitchy throttle

Just got a new-to-me 99 CBR RR. After 10 years of waiting it was time to finally get the bike I wanted. Bike is totally clean and has less than 8600 miles, one owner...you get the picture.

Had it out today and it ran great except for one issue I hope someone can help with. The throttle is very "twitchy." There doesn't seem to be much of a "roll on" on the throttle. If there is, it's a very short space from no power to lots of power. The same is true on the other end when easing up on the throttle. It took a little getting used to.I'm wondering if this is typical or if there is an adjustment that can be made. It could be I'm just not used to the throttle response yet. Any suggestions you guys might have would be appreciated.

(the throttle freeplay is adjusted properly)

Old 06-11-2007, 01:32 AM
Default RE: Twitchy throttle

mine is that way to i think it is something we just have to get use to

Old 06-12-2007, 02:26 AM

Anyone know if there is a way to smooth out the throttle response?

Old 06-12-2007, 12:44 PM

If you want more time between throttle turn to response, adjust the cable and add slack. The bike has nuts, that's why it reacts like it does. I noticed it with my 96 900rr over my 92 gsxr.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:46 PM

Well define twitchy i guess... I mean, there is a lot of horse power going to a small surface area so as soon as you give it hell it'll give you hell but I see no reason why it would make you not be able to handle it. My advise to you is find a buddy that is an experienced rider and let him ride it a few miles and see what he has to say. If he too claims the bike has no power and then just throws you off your seat then you may have some internal Carb adjustments that need to be made. Just my .02 $ ..... Good luck glad you bought the best year the 900 had!!!

Old 06-12-2007, 11:23 PM

are you talking in the lower RPM's? If so I'd say its pretty normal. Remember its not an FI bike. If its across the RPM range, I'd say check the play in the chain, maybe get the Carbs cleaned, you're dealing with a 8 year old bike. clean carbs, plugs and an air filter seemed to wake mine up last year w/27,000 on it.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:58 AM

Thanks all for the input. I was thinking along the same lines as far as the carbs go. Had it out tonight and noticed that it isn't a constant thing. Sometimes it is worse then seems to get better then back to "twitchy." I will also try to lube the throttle cable.I am planning to do some digging this weekend to see what I can find. It is hard though since I would much rather be riding than wrenching. Will let you know if II figure it out.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:23 PM

adjust your throttle cable. you should have 1/8-1/4 inch of freeplay before it moves your cables, but it might be a loose drive chain. if your chain is really loose it will give you that surging(twichy)effect.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:31 PM

I am expereincing that on my 94 with 25k miles.. I am convinced it is the fuel pump. II did not have that problem last year and earlier this year. It feels like when you stomp the gas in an automatic car. It starts to go then stops and downshifts, then goes...that lack of something. Convinced its a gas issue. I changed the filters and plugs and there is a great improvement but that lack of something is still there.

Question: Will a fuel pump from a 1990 cbr 1000 work?

Old 06-15-2007, 11:06 PM

read Twist of the Wrist II by Kieth Code....very helpy with the twitchyness...my 93 is like that also...even with brand new carbs, jetteing, and dyno

Quick Reply: Twitchy throttle