CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Turbo progress

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006 | 02:19 PM
Default RE: Turbo progress

The best shrouds for any kind of heat exchanger always have a smaller opening than the face of the core. This is due to the fact that if there is no ducting present less than 1/4 of the air molecules that hit the core face will actually go through the core anyway. So basically the opening can be 1/4 the area of the core face and not cause any degredation to the cooling affect of the intercooler (or radiator or whatever). Plus with the opening smaller the air in the shroud gets presurized and really wants to go through the core and not back out the opening. That's why it's so important to have the sides sealed.

A nice simple duct for you would be just to make 2 pieces as long as the cooler and about 2 inches deep, then make the side pieces semi triangular like so that one of the long pieces is angled and makes the opening the same length but only half the width.

I'm not around to look at my bike right this second but is there any room to put the stock fan on the other side (i.e. passanger?) of the radiator? A fan in front would be a PITA to seal up against a curved radiator and be a HUGE restriction at speed maybe to the point of causing you to everheat.

Old 06-12-2006 | 06:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Cutlassjim

I'm not around to look at my bike right this second but is there any room to put the stock fan on the other side (i.e. passanger?) of the radiator? A fan in front would be a PITA to seal up against a curved radiator and be a HUGE restriction at speed maybe to the point of causing you to everheat.
Negative. No room but the front. And the stock fan doesn't like rotating the opposite way (pusher style). I've got aluminum sheetmetal, tin snips, and rivets. I'm good to go for shrouding.

Old 07-01-2006 | 03:01 AM

Hi guys, I am new here and have been reading a few posts. You guys seem like a nice bunch unlike alot of other forums. Lemme tell you all alittle about my bike.

1999 900RR
MC-XPRESS KIT
PORT & POLISHED HEAD
WEB CAMS
UNDERCUT TRANS
LOCKUP
3-9 ARM
PM WHEELS
MSBC-1 BOOST CONTROLLER.

Never been on a dyno, so I cant tell you the hp. I had a 4" arm on my bike and a dead shock so needless to say, not good dragrace times either.

laser20psi, I have 120 main jets, stock needles, and I run between 1.5 - 2 psi fuel pressure at idle. Make sure you get a bypass regulator that increases fuel pressure under boost.

66droptop I have a mc-xpress intercooler that fits perfectly in front of the radiator. It would be a pita for you to convert over to one now since you basically would have to fabricate all of your plumbing to get it to work. It measures 8 1/2" X 14 1/2"
I think water injection with a hobbs switch will be the easiest way out. But, if you are not running more than 10 - 12 psi with c16 fuel, you will be ok.

DOC

Old 07-02-2006 | 08:29 PM

Thanks alot TURBO RR that information on the fuel is goin to make it so much easier when i prep my bike in the winter time. Oh and you seem to have one sick bike.

How much boost do you run on average days?

Old 07-06-2006 | 06:28 AM

How much boost are you running, and on what octane fuel?

I'll be running my fuel through an ice tank, hoping to gain some of the benefits of water injection without the extra hassle. I wonder if it's going to make much of a difference.

Old 07-07-2006 | 04:53 AM

On the street, I usually have my boost controller set at 6 lbs. It is easy to do with the boost controller I have a MSBC-1. It is right under my guages, so I can change the boost on the fly.

On c-16 fuel, I have run up to 11 lbs of boost. I have stock compression, and stock rods and pistons, so I am not pushing it. I was planning to sell the bike and get something bigger, but I will get hosed to much so I am planning to keep it. I am going to install some turbo pistons and some rods in it, so I can really turn it up and not worry. But to date, I have seen to 11lbs with no problems.

Those carbs cannot take much pressure. If you have 3 1/2 lbs or more, you would definitely flood the carbs and fill the engine and exhaust with gas. (don't ask me how I know![&:])

I can't wait until you guys get your bikes running. Riding a turbo bike is like NOTHING ELSE. I have ridden bikes with 40 - 60 hp of nos, and nothing feels like a bike coming up on BOOST!!!!

Old 11-23-2006 | 05:31 PM

ORIGINAL: TURBO RR

Those carbs cannot take much pressure. If you have 3 1/2 lbs or more, you would definitely flood the carbs and fill the engine and exhaust with gas. (don't ask me how I know![&:])

I can't wait until you guys get your bikes running. Riding a turbo bike is like NOTHING ELSE. I have ridden bikes with 40 - 60 hp of nos, and nothing feels like a bike coming up on BOOST!!!!
So how did you deal with the issue of the carbs?

Old 11-24-2006 | 12:33 AM

I think mine are at about 3psi. My Malpassi fuel pressure regulator is doing a hell of a job. My pump is running like it's on meth. I'm amazed at the amount of fuel pouring out of my return line. It's like turning on the water faucet in the kitchen, just minus the air. The second time I started up the bike, I had a kink in the return line (I've got the feed and return line both running to a plastic gas can propped up next to the bike) and my carbs started pumping fuel out of the bowl vents. I about shat myself, thinking all my fuel problems had returned. Then I saw my line was over reaching a bit and was kinked at the bottom of the regulator. Brought the gas can closer, and my problems went away. Phew!

Old 02-12-2007 | 09:44 PM

New guy to motorcycle turboing. I'm kind of a long way off on this, but I'm poking around with the idea. I'm rebuilding my f2/f3 basically from the ground up, and my buddy just gave me a T25 of his SR20. I've been doing some reading on turboin the bike, but my main snag is the fuel system. With FI I understand how to manage it, but with carbs I know nothing. I take it, I need a variable fuel pressure regulator? How will the fuel increase in accordance with the boost?

Old 02-13-2007 | 08:01 AM

im hating i want it can you do mine

Quick Reply: Turbo progress