CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Turbo progress

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006 | 08:37 PM
Default Turbo progress

You might recognize the first pictures if you read my thread in the newb forum. Anyhow, here are pictures from my turbo setup. The exhaust (turbine housing, manifold, dump) are getting HPC coated right now.

Thumbnails

Full-size, exhaust finalized

Name:  CBREX2FULL.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  23.8 KB
Name:  CBREX3FULL.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  26.8 KB
Name:  CBREX4FULL.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  47.7 KB

Thumbnails (most recent pictures, about a week old)

[URL=http://s2.supload.com/free/DSCN1037.JPG/vi

Old 04-30-2006 | 10:01 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Default RE: Turbo progress

Everything looks really nice -- I especially like the dump pipe. I fashioned mine similar to yours and had no problem with noise -- it was a "sleeper" Busa if there is such a thing

I don't know why but I thought you had an intercooler. Didn't see it in the pics. What are you doing for detonation prevention?

Old 04-30-2006 | 11:30 PM

ORIGINAL: chainstretcher

Everything looks really nice -- I especially like the dump pipe. I fashioned mine similar to yours and had no problem with noise -- it was a "sleeper" Busa if there is such a thing

I don't know why but I thought you had an intercooler. Didn't see it in the pics. What are you doing for detonation prevention?
You are correct. I SWEAR I took some pictures of it when I had the turbo setup broken down, but my girlfriend (her camera) says she uploaded all the photos for me. Anyhow, you can kind of see it in these two pictures:
[IMG] http://img86.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn09016th.jpg [/IMG]
[IMG] http://img142.imageshack.us/my.php?i...scn09158wf.jpg [/IMG]

It's a cut down core from a DSM. It might be sufficient, it might not. If it's not, I think I'll be using my trunk for an ice water tank, and going water:air for the cooler. There is a guy on this board (he ran something like a 9.9 @ 155 according to timeslip section) who has a turbo '94. So that's the smaller 893cc engine, and he says he's running 215hp on a stock compression engine. STOCK COMPRESSION!! So with my 0.074" thick Cometic gasket (vs the 0.065" thick one that MC-Xpress supplies for its 185whp kit), I think I can clear 200whp safely. SportRider's Mr.Turbo 900 was running over 13psi and over ~200whp on stock compression for a brief period of time and it held up fine. If some guy has a non-intercooled 893 running 215hp on stock compression, then I think my goal might get racheted up to 230whp for my small-intercooler, lower compression, 919. We'll see how 200 goes, and then go for 230 if need be. I want that title of highest horsepower stock internals 900RR. If I break 260whp, then I think it'd be the highest horsepower 900RR in the world.

Reason for all this editing: Still trying to get these two pictures to work.

Old 05-02-2006 | 04:54 AM

your thicker headgasket will comparitively make less hp at the same boost level as a motor with a stock gasket. fyi. a cut down dsm cooler will most likely be nowhere near sufficient.

those coolers are junk. geez, i might have to turbo my 99 and blow you out of the water.. ahha

if i was you, and i was running your setup, id look into making your storage space a place to mount your water/meth injection tank. run a hobbs switch so anything over lets say 5 psi will be sprayed. honestly, youll have way better results your intake temps will be much cooler and have less **** hanging off your bike than trying to mount that gayed out dsm cooler. those things are inefficient in stock size. let alone cut down. if you insist on running a cooler, may i suggest a spearco core .

Old 05-02-2006 | 04:59 AM

and now that i look closer, is that box with the hks hasngin goff it just a plenum or is that the actual cooler>? because if thats the intercooler, and its not water to air, you have a 400% chance of heatsoaking that bitch within 10 minutes of you firing up the bike. thus, you will detonate that **** and scatter your stock lower end all over your legs/face and road.

if youd like to talk further about this, im game.

my name is josh and i run ccfab. i mainly do turbo hondas, but i have been tossing the idea of turboing my bike around. do i smell a challenge?? haah and ill do it with a stock headgasket, [X(]

Old 05-02-2006 | 05:14 AM

I'm up for a challenge. Bring it on.

Of course lower compression will mean less hp per psi, but it also means I can run more before having predetonation issues. It's a street bike, so I'm not going to rely on a bandaid like meth or race fuel. A cooler won't run out of "coolingness" and it's always there, always working. Additional pumps & plumbing is just going to tax my electrical system further and add more hurdles to get past. If I end up needing it, I'll go with it. But first try is air:air, second is water:air, and third would be some means of raising octane.

That'd be the plenum you're looking at. The cooler is front mount style.

Old 05-02-2006 | 05:28 AM

my breath smells like cat food.

Old 05-02-2006 | 05:45 AM

Old hot rod trick I just thought of... cooling the fuel. Perhaps the biggest advantage of carbs over EFI is that the fuel delivery from carbs can help absorb/cool the intake tract. Run some iced down fuel, and that might make a decent hit against the intake temperature. What would be done is make some extra length of fuel line into a coil inside a container like a soup can, filled with ice water. Only problem is possible condensation inside the fuel line, but that's more of a problem if the fuel just sits there for a long time. I don't think condensation would be a problem with flowing fuel.

Old 05-02-2006 | 07:26 AM

eh, my money is still on the water/alc injection like we spoke about.,

Old 05-02-2006 | 08:04 AM

For a race bike or dyno queen, it'd be perfect. But it's a street bike where I want to be in and out of the power all day long without any problems like needing to keep refilling a meth/water tank. I'm still leaning towards a fuel cooler and water:air cooler for now while I do more research on a meth kit. Cooling sources that will always be there without needing to be replenished. Meth is probably more effective but I don't know yet if it'll suit my needs. Constant power on tap is the reason why I went turbo instead of nitrous in the first place.

Making 250 or 230hp would be great. The only number I'm really stuck on is 200. And that's really just for bragging rights and self-verification more than anything else. 200+whp in a 55" wheelbase is going to be retarded. That's almost twice the stock power. I doubt I'll need another 30hp on top of 200. I wonder what gear I'll need to be in before I can even fully get into 200whp without it standing vertical.

If you do build a turbo 900RR and can bring it down to AZ some time, I'll run you. Even if you're making more power. After all, we don't race dynos.

Quick Reply: Turbo progress