CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 900RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-900rr-19/)
-   -   Tires for the 900.. (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-900rr-19/tires-900-a-152173/)

splash 06-13-2014 12:52 PM

16" Q2 JC? never sold in the US. 16" QII sold across the pond tho.
guess that means u've decided on the 17" conversion.
look forward to hearing your tire comparison.

jasonchristopher 06-13-2014 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by splash (Post 1275678)
16" Q2 JC? never sold in the US. 16" QII sold across the pond tho.
guess that means u've decided on the 17" conversion.
look forward to hearing your tire comparison.

yes splash, actually somewhere in this thread i mentioned my 17"vfr rim i bought last year and actually popped on the tire to the 17" rim this afternoon.. while i'm writing this i'm debating which tires to test out first..the whole reason i started the thread was mainly because of the lack of rubber for or beloved 16" blades and the whole 17"conversion was never really a big thing i wanted to change but was curious and when the right rim came along i snagged it..

so two weeks ago i needed to get a sticker for the bike and i failed for being down to the safety nubs and came home did a tire search and got mostly threads on the dam 17" conversion and less of what people currently use for 16" rubber, i've been riding these 900's off and on since 1992 and the front end has never been an issue for me, but i like sticky rubber and i'm less partial to a touring tire.. so i guess this thread will have it all, but i wanted it to be mainly for the 16" tire experiences and availability (current) from manufacturers and i'm still planning on buying the 3D's so i guess it will still be a majority 16" thread with the 17"wild card.. i paid a little over a hundred for the set.. i basically bought the rim just in case there was absolutely nothing left but a touring tire(which i dont care for) and then i was planning on moving to the 17" tire.. anyway a little bit long winded but i've put a lot of thought into this and have read lots and lots of threads and people running in circles with different opinions so by the end of the month i promise i'll be back with mine. and hopefully this will be useful to someone in next couple years..
and by the way splash what have you been using?? do you use your bike everyday or just the weekends to blow off steam.. hows you rubber held up? sounds like a personal question huh? :)
jay

Vinman911 06-14-2014 11:18 AM

I ended up with the S20F, but in all actually they sent a S20R. I got no complaints out of it. Had it on since Jan 2014. Only has 300 miles on it but it feels good. They do sell the S20 in a 16" for front. I wish they had those at my local dealership. I had to get the Bto 16 for front. Don't really care for it. Little bumpy. I hope to wear it out and get the s20 to match.

jasonchristopher 06-14-2014 09:55 PM

Vin i just got home from riding s20's, my god what a difference from the podiums. these remind me of how the blade is known for just falling into a turn..
i'm still just breaking them in and over the next couple days i''m going to start pushing them harder and harder, but so far man i like the new shoes.. after the first ten miles they felt better planted than the last set and was ultra smooth in and out of turns..
up here we have large rotaries basically like large sweeping turns just shaped like a circle of all different sizes.. man coolest purchase i've made in a while.. didn't expect my own reaction.. now i'm really curious to know what the Q2's feel like..

splash 06-16-2014 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by jasonchristopher (Post 1275701)
and by the way splash what have you been using?? do you use your bike everyday or just the weekends to blow off steam.. hows you rubber held up? sounds like a personal question huh? :)
jay

good to hear about the S20's JC. if I was ready for new tires I think I'd be looking at them, but not riding much these days so my tires still good for a long while. have M3's on and they seem to work well (had Metzelers on the FJ11 and liked them) just don't get tested much in this environment. I challenge anyone to a "widest chickenstrip" contest. need to move to NC or Tenn (how's that working out for ya Conrice?)

WilliePete 06-20-2014 03:14 AM

Thank for the info! looked up my skids and found out they are really old and that I need to replace them. Now to add new skids to the number 2 spot on list of needs!

cc rider 08-29-2014 01:34 AM

JC, Im assuming this is your first time with the s20s. That is all I have used on my 99 900. They just make you feel glued to the road. But, do not expect much mileage from them!

Originally Posted by jasonchristopher (Post 1275741)
Vin i just got home from riding s20's, my god what a difference from the podiums. these remind me of how the blade is known for just falling into a turn..
i'm still just breaking them in and over the next couple days i''m going to start pushing them harder and harder, but so far man i like the new shoes.. after the first ten miles they felt better planted than the last set and was ultra smooth in and out of turns..
up here we have large rotaries basically like large sweeping turns just shaped like a circle of all different sizes.. man coolest purchase i've made in a while.. didn't expect my own reaction.. now i'm really curious to know what the Q2's feel like..

jasonchristopher 08-29-2014 01:20 PM

ccrider: im glad you bumped this thread.. yep i put these on at the beginning of the summer and have to say, i absolutely love them..
i also bargain shopped for them through amazon and got both front and back for just over two hundred.
i also bought a set of q2's that i was going to swap out at some point but the Q2 set had the 17" front which i forgot so i decided to just use those on my street fighter..
But your right! i would recomend the S20's to anyone looking for new rubber and not that i'm a well off guy by any means, but i would buy these yearly knowing how confident they inspire me through the turns..i also have zero chicken strip on the S20's not that its a contest but i have no problem with getting the maximum lean out of them..
i also run all my tires about 10lbs under pressure..

cc rider 08-30-2014 12:08 PM

Yeah I think I got under 4k on them last time. That is aggressive driving though . A little over $200 is about what i was paying each time for the set. that's a good price. I picked them up on eBay or motorcycle super store a couple times. One time I did a 100 mile thruway ride playing around getting it up to 100+ it was new but got chewed up pretty good.u could tell how soft they are. Can't beat the grip though. I haven't been on here a lot cause I'm so busy and I bought a 05 vtx (Honda) of course. It's nice to have a choice of bikes for different moods :). I got metzlers on the cruiser that ive heard of people getting almost 20k! . Just starting to have trouble with my 900 and shifting 1st to second. I think it's an internal problem cause I hold the lever up firmly after shifting and it didn't always catch. It's been getting worse gradually. I'll post for help once I make sure I check everything. Im hoping it's not a shift fork or gear issue

Originally Posted by jasonchristopher (Post 1279972)
ccrider: im glad you bumped this thread.. yep i put these on at the beginning of the summer and have to say, i absolutely love them..
i also bargain shopped for them through amazon and got both front and back for just over two hundred.
i also bought a set of q2's that i was going to swap out at some point but the Q2 set had the 17" front which i forgot so i decided to just use those on my street fighter..
But your right! i would recomend the S20's to anyone looking for new rubber and not that i'm a well off guy by any means, but i would buy these yearly knowing how confident they inspire me through the turns..i also have zero chicken strip on the S20's not that its a contest but i have no problem with getting the maximum lean out of them..
i also run all my tires about 10lbs under pressure..

WilliePete 08-30-2014 09:41 PM

Just bought a set of s20's myself on Thursday, should be here on Wednesday. Finally had the extra money to put towards safety (current tires are way to old to trust anymore). Went with the s20's due to the lowest sale price I could find and availability of 16" front. That and the info from this thread help make the decision easy. :icon_beerchug:

With that said does anyone mount and balance themselves or have a shop do it. If you do it yourself I'm curious as to what process you use as I have see and done (a long time ago) this many different ways.

Will