CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Struggling with these carbs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2024, 06:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Struggling with these carbs.

So as the title says. I've been hounded by these carbs. I've had the bike a few months now. I've rebuilt them with a kit. New needles and floats and all that. I couldn't get it right. Sent it to the bike shop. Three months later, they say this is the best they can do. It starts and idles and revs but as soon as you ride, it just bogs completely. As in, the smallest amount of throttle will get it going but the moment you try and open a little, just bogs right down.

I don't know anymore what to do with this thing. I'm at a loss. Months have gone by where I could have been doing other stuff to the bike but instead I've but stuck and stalled here and kinda lost enthusiasm for it. I still want to fix her but this is getting me down. Not getting it fixed. Here's a video of what the carb is doing.

Thanks for any help.
Tried uploading to YouTube and adding the link here, this was the only way to get it working for some reason.

Also, ignore the black dot. That's just my phones camera from being old.

Old 04-05-2024, 03:06 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you checked the whole fuelling system outside of the carbs? The fuel lines, filters, pump and tank? Reason being I’ve stripped my carbs down for a good clean to make the bike run better, and in doing so found my fuel tank was nasty inside, fuel filter practically blocked and fuel pump probably not good either. Could be an easy win if you’ve not checked already.

Old 04-05-2024, 03:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jaseypk
Have you checked the whole fuelling system outside of the carbs? The fuel lines, filters, pump and tank? Reason being I’ve stripped my carbs down for a good clean to make the bike run better, and in doing so found my fuel tank was nasty inside, fuel filter practically blocked and fuel pump probably not good either. Could be an easy win if you’ve not checked already.
Yeah I checked those. The fuel lines I replaced. The filter I replaced. This particular model didn't have a fuel pump. It all worked on gravity. Checked the gravity feed. Fuel came out in a stream. Tank is clean. I wish it was something outside the carbs but unfortunately it's not.

But now at the point where I'm broke and I think I have to sell it off. Don't have the time or money to work on her further. Which sucks but that's life.

Old 04-05-2024, 03:21 AM

That really does suck. I don’T suppose you considered getting more new screws/needles did you? They’re not that expensive I guess and could be the difference between selling your bike as a non runner and keeping it/selling for a lot more. I’d offer the ones out of my bike to try but I’m guessing you’re not local to me in England!

Old 04-05-2024, 08:01 PM
Received 426 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by VengefulRat
Yeah I checked those. The fuel lines I replaced. The filter I replaced. This particular model didn't have a fuel pump. It all worked on gravity. Checked the gravity feed. Fuel came out in a stream. Tank is clean. I wish it was something outside the carbs but unfortunately it's not.

But now at the point where I'm broke and I think I have to sell it off. Don't have the time or money to work on her further. Which sucks but that's life.
Yeah, it's unfortunate shop did such crappy job of cleaning carbs. Really, really sucks because NO ONE at shops have much skillz anymore. They just swap parts and hope for best.

Proper carb-restoration requires completely disassemble carbs down to every last nut, bolt and individual component. Scrub out secret hidden passages with PEA-based fuel-system cleaner and scrub-brushes. That's where most clogs hide, especially at 90-degree bends. Then ultrasonic soak everything. Micro soda-blast. Replace all rubbers, float-valves, float-bowl seals, fuel-rail O-rings, pilot-screw O-rings, even slide diaphragms if needed. Not very many people have the equipment much less experience & skill to do this kind of work.

For future searches, send carbs to this outfit. Many, many decades experience on thousands of carbs. Expert workmanship, reasonable fees (much less than what shops charge), and quick turnaround.

https://customcarbservices.com

Old 06-28-2024, 01:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They’re not that expensive I guess and could be the difference between selling your bike as a non runner and keeping it/selling for a lot more. I’d offer the ones out of my bike to try but I’m guessing you’re not local to me in England!

Last edited by ChristineDanie; 06-28-2024 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-29-2024, 03:31 PM
Welcome crew
Received 340 Likes on 316 Posts

looks like another bot.... admin

Old 06-29-2024, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Al1040
looks like another bot.... admin
I was a little confused when my post popped up again, from someone else!

Old 06-29-2024, 03:59 PM
Welcome crew
Received 340 Likes on 316 Posts

Yes indeedy.... happens occasionally