CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Steering Damper

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Damper

I am looking at used steering dampers for my bike. Are they all essentially universal with the exception of the mounts? I was looking at one on Ebay for instance by GPR and the auction includes the unit but no mount. Will that be difficult (in obtaining) or pricey to replace?

Old 01-19-2007, 11:24 PM
Default RE: Steering Damper

I wouldnt put one of those on my ride unless I was planning on riding track seriously. Dude do you really want to add some mechanical device that influences your steering?

Old 01-20-2007, 01:06 AM

I would and have invested in one...Scotts radial and I kno the scotts just use a different mounting kit for different bikes...same as probally most other brands GPR i thought was bike specific but i dont kno for sure...if you can afford one get it they do not hinder your steering that much at all not enough to matter and if they seem stiff THEY ARE ADJUSTABLE...atleast all the good ones are (Go with Scotts, GPR, Ohlins, etc)1 in a 100 chance you'll need it...but if you hit that 1 out of a 100 you'llbe more than thankful u dished out the cash...when you buy usedyou might need to get it rebuilt which I believe is like 15 or 20 bux.

As for prices on mounts Ive seen the scotts mounts go for anywhere from 50-100 i dunno about GPR look on the net and ebay maybe ask a local shop.

Old 01-20-2007, 05:47 AM

Here's the deal. If your not getting loose in the front end at high speeds (wobble), don't worry about it. I've had speed wobbles (pot holes/wet pavement induced) with my GSXR750(stock with dampener) and my 900RR (no dampener), and there was NO differance in how I had to react.
My 900rr DID have an after market on BEFORE I got a hold of it. And to install one, you will have to drill into the frame to mount it.

In the end, as mentioned above, if you are not prety much TRACK centric, don't even bother.

Old 01-20-2007, 04:09 PM

I'm going to take the other opinion. I think installing a Scott's damper was one of the better mods on my 96 900RR. I've had tank slappers under different circumstances. With the scotts damper I don't know it is there until I need it. I've ridden on the track with and without the damper and gives me much more confindence. If you have ever had a slapper with a roll on wheelie on a windy day, you'll appreciate it.
My damper was a 20 min. install. NO drilling for the 96

Old 01-21-2007, 03:09 AM

I would agree. A steering damper is like an air bag in your car.

You'l likely never need it, but in the instance you do, it will save your A$$.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:00 AM

That's debatable. Are you on an 04?

Old 01-21-2007, 11:55 AM

I have to completely disagree with this. Have you ever came out of a increasing radius right or left over a knoll and the front get's light? Well the faster you go, the higher probability of when that tire meets the surface again, you could experience a tank slapper. Track or not, it's a great idea. Plus, try doing tricks without one. It is a great investment.

Old 01-21-2007, 04:43 PM

I kind of already answered your question in my original post.
I've had "slappers" with and without a dampener, no differance with what I had to do.
As to tricks, I'll leave that to the more experienced trick riders personal preferance.

Did you see the part where I mentioned track riding? I wasn't meaning straight away track riding.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:31 PM

I have a damper on my 95, and I wouldnt ride without one. As far as you dont need one, then why has honda put electronic steering dampers on the 06 an 07 1000rr? I guess if you didnt need it they wouldnt make it a stock item on a new bike. H.onda E.lectronic S.teering D.amper (HESD) is the same thing as a pneumatic damper. They do help with high speed wobble and tank slap. But, even if you have one you could still get tank slap or a wobble, they will just help you. I like mine because when I come down from a nice highway wheelie, at about 90-100 mph and my handlebars arent exactly straight, the damper helps with the landing of the front wheel.

Quick Reply: Steering Damper