CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Stators/rectifers arggggg.. really!! honda"s biggest failure!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 08:15 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stators/rectifers arggggg.. really!! honda"s biggest failure!!

i've had it..
last year i bought a new stator and rectifier from rricks.. burnt up in less than a year.. what a waaste of money and i've been thinking over this last six months that my bike just needed another serious cleaning up. carburetors rebuilt, spark plugs changed ect,ect! plus i started a thread on losing power, but mysteriously everything came back to life twenty min later..

so what am i getting too? last night i ebayed a few items.. i bought two-04 gsxr 1000 regulator/rectifiers and i plan on wiring them into my 95 900 and my 97 900..
i also bought two hundred feet of 18 gauge winding wire and i plan on rewinding my own stators.. so i know they're done right!!! i plan on coming back here with pictures/video documenting everything, in case someone else has got to the point i have.. so far I've spent 100 bucks on materials and those materials will cover two full stator rewinds and two replacement rectifiers off of a newer gsxr 1000, the so called upgade. but im not willing to go back to any of these electric companys.. i've gathered allot of information from this site and a few others which, i'll also post here for reference and education.. if anyone has any questions, just ask..
once its altogether i plan on doing yearly updates to the thread including every 1000 i get out of my homemade setup..
i think thats it for now...
ill probably post a unwinding video in the next couple days..

Old 09-22-2013, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to the forum. And this is the issue I was looking for. My 1995 cbr900rr died in the middle of the road. Battery gets no charge. Runs off jumper cables. Dies ones they are removed. Has to be a stator and or rectifier. My only question is I found. Better deal for the 96-99 stator/rectifier/gasket kit. Can that be used on a 95? Or did they change stator position/type in 96+? Any help is appreciated.

Looks like the tectifiers are from 93-2000 are all the same. The stator have different years on amazon.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For the rectifier get a mosfet type - found on newer bikes. See ... 04-06 R1 Rr Installation How To - Modifications - VFR Discussion ... for some info on which ones to get and where from. See ... R/R Connectors ... for connectors for them. Or do what I did and get one from a late Fireblade (2008 I believe) for my 92 bike and not have a source for the connectors. Doh .... Just used spade connectors to wire it straight in though.

Also check out your existing earths and install new ones. I wanted to make sure the engine, frame and rear subframe were connected staright to the battery. So, put a bolt through the subframe plate opposite the rectifier. One earth from the engine to here. One from the main frame (handy fixing for the coolant bottle that does the job) to here. Then a single cable to the battery. This tidys up the earthing leads and ensures that you've done the best to earth the system.

Dave

Old 09-25-2013, 01:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i just went through hell with this situation and with all that i collected i was hoping to make some kind of a tutorial with my experience, but ill do that on a rainy day.. i personally ended up buying a 03-04 gsxr 1000 rectifier $ 40.00 anywhere and they fit all blades from 02-up, but you just have to install female connectors to your stator wires..
to test your stator is really straight forward, there are tons of how to's on utube.. and the same goes for testing the rectifer, which is usually the villian on these blades..
stators run 92-95 and 96-99
heres some good info here..
http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-trip...r-upgrade.html
http://www.triumphrat.net/daytona-de...-heatsink.html
http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/i...arging-system/
http://www.electrosport.com/technica...ting-guide.pdf
http://www.fireblades.org/forums/art...ng-stator.html

ok i think i put enough info here to make anyones brain hurt... at least by the time i was done sorting out my stuff i needed at least a week just thinking about nothing.. let us kmow how you make out..
jay

Last edited by jasonchristopher; 09-25-2013 at 01:13 PM.