CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

smuggler's box question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 08:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smuggler's box question

hey. i was looking into making better use of the storage space under the passenger seat on my 98 RR. since my bike has had a pretty rough life before i got it, i do not know what is supposed to be under the seat, as far as OEM goes. it looks like it should have a more enclosed compartment, but since i know the tail has been replaced/repaired, it is probably not the way it is supposed to be.
i want to make it more secure, water tight, and able to hold smaller parts, pieces, bungee cords, tools, and maybe paperwork.......
the kind of stuff you never know if you are going to need or not, but just in case.
if the OEM setup isn't an actual enclosed box under the seat, does anyone have any suggestions about where to find one that would work in the allotted space? i tried the ol' "ditty bag" trick, but that is kinda precarious flopping around inside the fender area.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:12 PM

If you PM me your email addy I will take a pic of the stock box from inside to show you what it's supposed to look like. It's not a waterproof design so I keep my reg and such in a zip lock bag, It also has a drain hole by design so water will not stand in it. It's big enough to get a small jacket and gloves in it
Jim

Old 07-04-2010, 03:34 AM

thanks, Jim. i can take a pic of what is under my tail, to show why i think something else is supposed to be in there.

as an experiment, i took a few measurements and then went to wal-mart with the intent of finding something that might work. i came up with a couple of plastic seal-able boxes, a small tote bag/backpack, an insulated soft-side beverage holder, and the one that really intrigued me....a kid's soft-side lunch box with Marvel Superheros on it...

the soft-side containers fit the space well, conforming to the shape of the inside, and will keep everything relatively weatherproof. the small backpack will also work as a pillion bag, and they all zip shut.

my intent is to be able to carry tools, a flat repair kit, bungee cords, tape and what-not, and the more stuff i can fit under the seat safely the better.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:00 PM

well, i decided on one choice for now. a soft-side close-able bag thing that seems to be perfect for my uses. it fits the space and will be water and weather proof.
Name:  DSCN2245.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  121.3 KB
Name:  CBR900RRtail004.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  112.0 KB
Name:  CBR900RRtail009.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  130.1 KB
Name:  CBR900RRtail010.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  140.7 KB

Old 07-05-2010, 08:22 PM

Nice RR and nice bag

Old 07-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM

I'm gonna guess you have an aftermarket undertail on there cause your missing the entire storage box.

Looks like you found the best fix for your needs so your good.

Nice find.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:58 AM

yep, aftermarket with LED tail lights... the bag is roomy enough to hold a socket set, various wrenches, screwdrivers, a flat repair kit, bungee cords, and the other little bag i bought that i can use as a pillion bag. much better than a basic tool kit, and there is still room a few other what-nots.

i still wonder what others use, if anything, but i am pretty happy with this.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:38 PM
December 2011 ROTM

Here is a picture of the stock setup with the toolkit in front. Not the greatest picture, I know. I think I may have some more in there if you want to take a look.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/album.php...&pictureid=596

Old 07-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM

The stock one works just fine for me so I don't use anything else.

Originally Posted by rtabish
yep, aftermarket with LED tail lights... the bag is roomy enough to hold a socket set, various wrenches, screwdrivers, a flat repair kit, bungee cords, and the other little bag i bought that i can use as a pillion bag. much better than a basic tool kit, and there is still room a few other what-nots.

i still wonder what others use, if anything, but i am pretty happy with this.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:41 AM

it is often a point of contention among riders as to what tools to carry on your bike. it is generally considered that the stock tool kit is woefully inadequate and the tools themselves are usually cheese-like products. i have the stock tool kits for my older bikes, just to show that i have them [for resale value], but any bike i feel like taking farther than across town has to have a pretty comprehensive tool kit. here in Montana...it can be a LONG walk to find help if you don't have the right tool when you need it. you can't exactly expect the next farm house to have that metric socket for removing your seat or back wheel or a torx bit to pull off your bodywork

Quick Reply: smuggler's box question