CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

She's in hospital

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008 | 08:52 AM
Default RE: She's in hospital

Dinez that sucks man! Question though why did you not check the oil through the lil side window sorry man but i always check my oil level b4 every ride It's a good habit let me know how the situation turns out.

Old 02-02-2008 | 09:39 AM

this is why the rider is suppose to do the preride checks b4 each ride.

Old 02-02-2008 | 10:20 AM

Damn how did you let that happen... That sucks but was easily avoidable.

Old 02-02-2008 | 11:51 AM

ORIGINAL: alpha omega

i always check my oil level b4 every ride
Not everyone has a convenient window...I don't, and I don't check my oil before every ride because I'm the one that put it in there. After enough miles, sure, it's my duty to check, but damn, not every ride. No way more than one percent of riders check their oil that much, sheesh.

/sarcasm Yeah, right, it's dinez' fault for trusting the shop he goes to. Uh huh. Who does that either...checks their fluids, tire pressure, brake pads, and everything else after getting a vehicle back from the shop? No one I know.

Although, I do my own service precisely because I don't trust a careless repair monkey to stick his grimy mitts all over my best girl.

Old 02-03-2008 | 02:43 AM

ORIGINAL: SpiritRR

ORIGINAL: alpha omega

i always check my oil level b4 every ride
Not everyone has a convenient window...I don't, and I don't check my oil before every ride because I'm the one that put it in there. After enough miles, sure, it's my duty to check, but damn, not every ride. No way more than one percent of riders check their oil that much, sheesh.

/sarcasm Yeah, right, it's dinez' fault for trusting the shop he goes to. Uh huh. Who does that either...checks their fluids, tire pressure, brake pads, and everything else after getting a vehicle back from the shop? No one I know.

Although, I do my own service precisely because I don't trust a careless repair monkey to stick his grimy mitts all over my best girl.
not all mechs and techs are careless monkeys but alot are

Old 02-03-2008 | 12:41 PM

I disagree with spirit. I do check my oil before every ride. If I am going to be riding a lot of places one day, I will at least check the oil in the morning. You guys should be doing a pre-ride inspection quite often.

Old 02-03-2008 | 07:47 PM

The window for oil level check is really blur on mine. I really couldn't see anything.

Anyway I always do some minor checking before every ride, that will be tyre condition, front and back lights and my clutch cable condition (I had bad experience when it snapped twice before). Sadly, engine oil was not in my list.Never had in my mind such a thing could occur. Lesson learned!!

Latest News:

I had received feedback from the shop after theywent through my complaint letter; They had agreed to give me a50% discount for the '99 engine (RM2500 after discount) (1USD = RM3.2). They claimed that there are not solid proof to support my claims and this is the best that they can offer me. I don't like the idea of changing all the parts because I'm really unsure the extent of the damage. What do you guys think of the price?

I need to go and check the engine. Unless I really test run the engine, I'm really not sure the condition of the '99 engine as well. Most probably the engine will be started, let it run and thats all. Any tips from you guys or anything particular I need to observe?

Old 02-03-2008 | 08:55 PM

My heart is actually bleeding here for you mate..

A couple of years back I got myself the nicest ZX7 you ever did see.. Flawless stock bodywork, in the Black/Grey limited colours instead of vomit green.. One owner from new etc..

Anyway, 8 days into ownership one of my buddies blags a quick ride.. Sadly he had just gotten back from a track day and was spinning the motor in traffic in low gear, the bike got hot, the coolant overflowed, and oblivious to the peril the guy went and gave it a handful, trashing the crank..

Bless his heart, he said my bad and we took the bike cross country to a guy who had a motor.. but no, it was a ZX9 motor, so rebuilt mine at my friends expense, but when I went to get it the motor exploded, blowing the crankcases.. Nice..

I am actually meant to go and get the bike back, you know, it had a new battery, new tires, nice stainless exhaust ext.. I went on a bike a while back.. I could have cried.. little bits of Ninja all over this guys shop..

It took me two years to beg borrow and steal the cash needed for another bike, and then weeks of testing utter junk before finding my blade..

Me, I would be talking to my lawyer if I was you, just to see where you stand. There has to be a degree of negligence on the shop's part, even if you were to dumb (sorry) to check your oil level.. Yes, I check mine when I think about it, which is about every 3000kms on the Yamaha, and I just go ahead and change it anyway.. The blade, never looked..!

How much abuse can you stick to an engine in a country that has fairly enforced limits? Down here we get to go as fast as we dare, so speeds are always above 200 and I run flat out or there abouts for the whole morning..

Let them fit the new motor, and have a buddy shake down the bike after you shake it down for lets say half an hour in the saddle.. Until then, dont give them a cent of your hard earned..

CJ

Old 02-03-2008 | 09:53 PM

Points noted.. No paying till I satisfy with the engine...

Chinese New Year will be around the corner; the shop will be closed for 2 weeks. Till then my buddy had borrowed his goldwing... damn; I really look slack with it!

Old 02-04-2008 | 12:12 AM

ORIGINAL: dr_crayon

My heart is actually bleeding here for you mate..

little bits of Ninja all over this guys shop..

I hate when someone makes me laugh and cry at the same time...funny description of a tragic event. I've always loved the ZX-7, especially the original, early nineties models...awesome.

Dinez, I think their offer is pretty reasonable--if it includes the labor to install the motor.

How much for an attorney? RM3k-5k? And that is no guarantee of success.

I say take it if the motor is good. I've never heard of a shop offering to pay for ANYTHING that couldn't be proved was totally their fault. The chance you are getting would never happen in my country...

Quick Reply: She's in hospital