CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Reoccuring Charging Problem???? SOLVED!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reoccuring Charging Problem???? SOLVED!!

Well I've been having this problem for about 4-5 months now. Every few days my battery will go dead and I have to recharge it. I don't get to ride a whole lot in the few days maybe 3-4 hours total ride time. But about three months ago I got a new battery and R/R. The problem seemedto go away at first but about 2-3 weeks came back and has been going on ever since. Now I have used the fault finding chart from electro sport and usually end upwith faulty connection between R/R and + battery terminal. But if I unhook the battery and R/R and test the 12v wire from the R/R and the +battery cable for continuity it is fine so I don't think there is a problem in that wire butI may be wrong though. When the R/R went out it meltedpart of the plastic aroundone of the yellow wires but the connector inside looks fine. I bought a wire harness off ebay to replace it but of course when I got it the same plug was burnt on it too (seems to common on this bike). They were going to give me another one but everyone they had was burnt on that connector also so I just took the refund.When I put the new R/R on I also ran extra ground wires at the recommendation of someone on this forum, can't remember who but I did it. But I don't know what else to do. It gets old thinking I'm going to ride to work only to find out the damn battery is dead again and it has to charge for an hour or so before I could even think of riding. I open for any suggestions. I'm willing to try almost anything at this point.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Default RE: Reoccuring Charging Problem????

No body ever had a similar problem to this? No opinions or anything. I'm really stuck here.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:26 PM

Sorry slim, the only way I can help is by recommending a look into the service manual but it says to perform about six different tests with about seven different testers on all the components. Hopefully someone who actually works with electricity can post here but otherwise, I think BlueFox said it best, stop ****ing with it and take it to a professional. It seems like this problem is relatively common across the CBR range, so chances are good that Honda's service tech bulletins already have the details for the fix. That way it shouldn't take too long and you'll be much happier much faster.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah sometimes its better to take to a much more qualified person instead of cracking head and wasting time. Good luck!

Old 10-03-2007, 09:37 AM

Dude I just had a new baby, and with Christmas around the corner I can't afford to dish out $600+ for bike repairs right now. See I figured since it was such a common problem more people would have an answer for it. But last night I rippedoff the r/r connector and put new singleconnectors endson it. So I'm gonna see what happens with that before I just start changing stuff. I mean hell I couldput on a new stator and anotherr/r for like a 1/4 of the price the shop would charge me just to rewire something. Basically I'm saying I have the capabilities to fix the problem I was just looking to you guys to try and get a starting point so I didn't have to tear through everything. I was figuring people here had experience with it since it is so common.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:36 PM
dd

What is the charging voltage at the battery? Should beabout 15-15.5v, alsocheck at 5,000 rps. Did you use a Honda reg. or was it after market part? Had problem w/mine but was overcharging, but i have 929, should be the same. Do u have a shop manual?

Old 10-03-2007, 09:59 PM

Yea I have a haynes manual. But right now (after rewiring the r/r) the voltage is at 12.2-12.8 cold. At 2500 on the test paper I have it said it should be 13.5. I haven't checked that again yet but hope to tomorrow. I have rode it a few times since the rewireand when I get home I shut it off wait a lil bit and check the voltage and it seems to be pretty consitant so far. But I have an aftermarket r/r I got it when I replaced it. It is supposed to be better it has the metal back and everything. Can't remember why they said that helped or the brand name off hand.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:28 PM

Maybe after you totally succeed at solving this bugger you could post in the How-to about what you did and with what tools and meters--because then when my harness goes to **** and some ******** says to just take the bike to a dealer, I can read your post instead...

Old 10-04-2007, 11:03 PM
dd

Your charging voltage is low, could be stator,wiring or reg. You have to test the wiring first w/specs from the manual. I would start with replacing your after market reg. with a Honda part!

Old 10-05-2007, 02:19 PM

But from what I've heard the honda one isn't very good. What do you mean my voltage is low. The spec in my book says 12.8 with bike not on.

Quick Reply: Reoccuring Charging Problem???? SOLVED!!