CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Rear ended

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear ended

Sitting at a light, brake on, minding my own. Actually checked my mirrors and saw a white car approaching way down the block. Looked up at the light and wham. Lady hit me. I guess was too busy with her unrestrained five-year old in the front seat to stop. Or maybe she couldn't operate her brakes since she said they didn't work. Anyway, I was thrown over the handlebars and landed on my back. My bike ended up under the front bumper and slid with it for about 30 ft. I slid too with my arm up on the bumper to keep from getting run over.

Not a scratch on my helmet. Lots of holes burned through my jacket (FieldSheer mesh). There were a few scrapes on my elbow and my knees but except for the bruises on my left asscheck and my lower back, I was super lucky.My bike wasn't so lucky.

As far as a visual inspection goes: bent rear rim, crumpled swingarm, Vand H exhaust destroyed, cover on left side of motor has a small leakand what seems to be the worst, the frame is broken where the exhaust attached and on the opposite side looks to be cracked. The front end seems to be structurally ok with the expected scrapes on the handlebar ends, tank and fairing after being dragged for 30 ft.

So now what? I'm guessing it will be a totally loss but is it worth it to try to fix it? Or part it out? Not really sure what to do. Any thoughts anyone has would be appreciated...

Used-to-be-mint 99 CBR 900RR

Old 06-28-2007, 11:39 PM
Default RE: Rear ended

Part it out, buy another. It's what I would do. Better yet!!! Buy another 99 900RR, and part out to yourrself.

Old 06-29-2007, 12:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear man. Its all depends on your $$$. The total cost for repair looking at your damage will be a bomb I guess. Even if you are going to get a new bike, you won't be able to make much of trade in value with that condition of bike.

Old 06-29-2007, 12:33 AM

sorry to here about this glad u r ok
ever thought about getting the issurance money and then dealing with the insurance company
on buying it as salvage to make a stunt bike
i am looking for a crashed 600 f4i to make a stunt/beater bike to play with
a 900rr stripped down would be a killer wheelie machine to say the least

Old 06-29-2007, 08:12 AM

Main thing is you are ok.

I'd probably part it out too, or just keep the parts for your next 900rr.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:32 AM

or part it out to me for the sprockets and the front fork seals. i think 98-99 will innerchange.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:26 AM

Good thing you're alive! I hate stupid people. That lady better have had a sore throat due to all the apoligizing...

If you part out the bike, I'm interested in the motor itself. Please PM is you're going to let it go.

--Chris

Old 06-29-2007, 01:55 PM

Hey man, glad to hear you are ok..... WEll here is my story compressed...

Got hit at 50 mph, bike and me flew 60ft far and 20ft high.
-Broken collar bone, REALLY sore wrist, but wearing full gear so Im lucky.
-Bike, front end completely jacked and clip-ons, etc.

I decided to fix it into a stunt bike.
-MANY DAYS of work and lots of eBay parts later I had a rolling chassis (Honestly took me over a month and a half to get all parts needed and work)
-Ended up ditching the project and trading it for a Jet ski. If I could do it again I would have parted it out immediatly. Good luck and hope this helps.

I know what you going through and it sucks so Im def really sorry for ya man.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:32 PM

Sucks Dude. Glad your OK.

Part it. Too many busted up major parts to make worth fixing. Or, just let the insurance company have it and go buy another one.

I would prepare for battle with the insurance company. Go to Kelly's web site (I think it is www.kbb.com ) and get the values for it. They may only want to give you a fraction of what it's worth, because it's 8-years old. Look at some that have sold on Ebay too, and print off the closed auction page, so you can show them. Other peoples insurance companies SUCK to deal with!

Old 06-29-2007, 07:11 PM

Thanks all for the responses...will let you all know what happens.

Quick Reply: Rear ended