CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

raising bar height

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raising bar height

what are some of the methods you guys have used to get your bars up higher? my neck and back do not like the riding position.

-what cables need to be extended to raise the bars? looks like front brake M/C soft line is the only one thats fairly obvious.

-is it ok to drill and tap the top tree for bar clamps? or through bolts with nuts on the bottom? I was thinking of cutting up an old bmx stem and re machine the pieces to work well.

-what will the handling be like if i slide the forks up just enough to run the clipons on top of the tree instead of below like stock? too quick? tank slapper? is there enough stock brake line to do that with no other mods?

Last edited by sonic reducer; 04-27-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:15 PM

dude look up heli bar risers on the internet and for gods sake and for your safety PLEASE do not drill holes in the triple trees they are the only thing holding your front end together!!

Old 04-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

I have a set of heli bars I am not using. Never fitted. 46mm I think.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by toddmonster
dude look up heli bar risers on the internet and for gods sake and for your safety PLEASE do not drill holes in the triple trees they are the only thing holding your front end together!!
Uhh, Not to start anything, but people drill there top clamp ALL the time for dirt bike bars. My 900rr has dirty bars done the same way.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:54 PM

i agree nitrodude with the holes that I would be drilling into the tree there would be no ill effects structurally wise. however i dont think i would tap threads into them as the web of the tree seems about 3/16 thick. But I think if I am going to drill the tree i am going to have to get rid of the fairing too since the handlebars will interfere with the fairing stay and possibly the fairing itself. nothing's ever all that simple is it.
has anyone ever flipped the clipons to the top of the tree? this looks doable but will require i drop the fork tubes by .75-1" which seems like a pretty large amount on an already quick handling bike. i may just go for it and see how it does around town.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:55 AM

If you want to convert to the tube bars, you should really invest in a new top yoke specifically machined for this purpose. I would hate to see your bars rip off of the bike while in a corner!

Old 05-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Default Apex clip-ons

Hi there! Have you seen Apex clip-ons? I´ve installed them on my CBR 900 RR not long ago and even though it was a little tricky to adjust them to not interfere with fairings and maintain the original trottle and clutch cables I think it was worth it.
Now I have wider and more comfortable handlebars but much more discreet than dirt bike bars. You hardly notice the difference until you mount on the bike and since I have more leverage it´s easier at curves.
I had to buy them in the US but shipping to Spain was quick.
I´ll post some photos as soon as I can. Regards.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:11 AM
Default photos after and before

Here there are the photographs. Two first are with apex bars. Two second with original bars. Greetings.

Attached Thumbnails raising bar height-image003.jpg   raising bar height-image005.jpg   raising bar height-imagen-009.jpg   raising bar height-imagen-007.jpg  
Old 03-12-2013, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by vfrman
I have a set of heli bars I am not using. Never fitted. 46mm I think.
I know this is a while ago but do you still have these?

Old 03-12-2013, 06:17 AM

Yes. I still have them.

Quick Reply: raising bar height