CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Problem with my 99 900rr

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Problem with my 99 900rr

trance,

LMAO, as I have to agree with gixxereater, and the others it has to be "Black Magic[sm=exactly.gif]" I hadto pull the carbs on my CBX 5 times after putting in a stage III kit, which I ended up throwing that piece of ****in the trash. Dyna Jet uses there own size jetting. Hell after putting it in, I could of pull the cannister off and put a 1/2 of tank of fuel back in the scoot. I ended up going back and getting several sets of Keihin jets and once again another 4 more times of pulling the carbs back off to change the jetting. Ending up with 96'sidle and 120's in the mains.

That put theA/F ratio at 13.5 to 1 right where you need to be. I then went to the dyno for a run, wherewe sync the carbs and adjusted up any free play that was left in thethrottle cables.Setting up 6 carbs is real fun.....With the X you have to remove the exhaust at the cannister, pull the throttlecables thentilt/drop the motorjust to remove the carbs, now that's a real pain in the ***.... [sm=rant.gif]

The inline fours YEA got to love them.....I do mine it's alot more saddletime. Once you have done a little carb work,they are not bad to work on at all. LMAO... The "Black Magic" seems willgo away.....Good set of gages and the right tools you can do it, if you do any wrenching, plus the guys around here will help out. [sm=bounceybounce.gif]

I will say the same, if there isn't any floats that are sticking, you need to do some jetting but stay with the manufactures jets!!!!!!!!!!! [sm=trust_me.gif]most manufactures have done the experimenting on there own carbs.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:17 PM

+1 to jet kits being ****ty. We had the carbs off my brothers CBR 1000F about 30 times trying to make them work with his ****ty V&H exhaust, that **** box would just NOT run right. It was too rich on idle, too lean at part throttle with a HUGE dead spot from 5-6400RPM and then ran OK from then to red line. What a PITA!!! Finally bought a stock exhaust but couldnt get the aftermarket junk to work with that either (although it was better), bought a STOCK set of carbs with stock jetting and away it went. That never ran so good as that day!!

To contrast that, my 900RR ran like a raped ape and metered flawlessly with an aftermarket jet kit (installed by others) so it CAN be done but god only knows how many times THEY had it apart to make it work, and they had an A/F ratio meter to help them along.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:43 PM

gixxereater,

I here that, I ended up gettting a A/F meter/sniffer from JCWittney for about $150.00that was money well spent, makes the job a hell of a lot easier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When you have the right tools..... Now if I coould get the wife to agree with that.....LMAO..... I now have here on her own scoot so I tell her she needs it.....works about 50% of the time.....

But you are right on the money once a set of carbs are setup with the correctA/F ratio and are sync, they are hard to beat. When you tell people that a set of carbs that are out of sync, can and will cause engine noise to the point that one would think they have a hell of a rod knock.....or the engine is coming apart.....some think you are crazy...

The old saying..... The proper tool for the proper job......Never seen a woman get pregnet by the use of only a tounge......[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 01-15-2008, 10:30 PM

A raped ape! Hahahahahahaha!!!