CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Perception of power 94 900RR

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perception of power 94 900RR

Getting back into motorcycles after a 9 yr. hiatus. Bought a 94 900RR back in November, cheap off of Ebay. It is very clean, stock, with 23K miles, and a Yosh slip on installed. I have taken a couple of joy rides in the cold weather just to check it out good and try some of my new riding gear. It seems to run good, pulls hard through to red line, rides and handles good. I've had it up 135 mph and it gets there real quick My question is when I accelerate hard in first gear, the front end seems to be planted to the ground. I haven't spent alot of time with it yet but it doesn't seem to have the hard hitting torque power band that my 86 Gsxr 1100 did. With that bike, there was a tremendous power band hit at 6,000 rpm that would either loft the front end in a big power wheelie or would just blow the rear tire out from under neath it. Back when I had the 1100, I raced several people with 900rr and my 1100 was dead even with em all the time. If anything, my old 1100 was a little stronger, just harder to get launched as I was usually behind after the hole shot but pulling past at the quarter mile. This 900 get a little light in the front end but never really seems like it has the power to do a power wheelie. I have even done a few clutch dumps holding the bike at 8,000 rpm and 20 mph. The tire grabs and it just launches forward without alot of fan fare, doesn't spin the tire. I realize this is a good thing for drag racing but I do like playing arond a little bit to. Does this seem right to the other 900RR owners out there. I realize this is a 14 yr old bike and a little smaller in displacement that my old 1100, and I am relying on some old memory but I expected it to be a little wilder than what it is. I thought the 900RR was always a stunters preference but this things just doen't seem to have it down low. I know I can gear it down and probably will. I am a 225 lb. 39 yr old guy just trying to have a little fun before my body tells me I should be riding a Harley. I do like the ride and the feel of the 900 although I still crave for a 1000 gsxr. I will ride this thing back and forth to work, about 500 mile per wk. Any thoughts would be appreciated. It is amazing how two wheels can put a smile on your face, frown on the wifes.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:48 PM
Default RE: Perception of power 94 900RR

My 900rr needs to have the clutch pulled in the and the revs high in order to wheelie.

I've never done it, but watched my friend, who used to own my 900rr do it.

Even though it won't wheelie just by twisting the throttle, it is lightning fast to me

Old 03-23-2008, 06:50 AM

A good running 900 should lift the front wheel a little while accelerating hard in first gear. It won't jump up like, say an earlyR1 but it should lift it 1-2 feet by the time you run out of gear, even whin you're riding in a slightly forward position rather than leaning back as if trying to lift the front. I've had a lot of 900rr's and the only ones that ever seemed a little weaker through first gear were the '96-97's but they would still power up.....just not as well as the earlier/later ones. Try doing a little fine tuning. A carb good carb cleaning/sychronizing could work wonders. Even if your bike doesn't sound like it needs it, it could do the bike a world of good. Also pop in a new air filter. Give the bike back all of the flow it had when it was new.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:37 PM

It is also possible that someone tried re-gearing it for top speed. Therefore compromising acceleration. Check out the sprockets and see how many teeth you have on each compared to stock.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My '97 with stock sprocket had never went up either in the first gear.

Anyway welcome to the club bro....

Old 03-24-2008, 04:13 PM

MY 900 WHEELIES IN FIRST GEAR NO CLUTCH ANY TIME SECOND IS ANOTHER STORY HAVE TO CLUTCH IT UP

Old 03-25-2008, 06:54 AM

Best way to find out is to run it up to about 5000rpm in 1st with a little throttle and then whack it wide open.. You should have the front wheel pointing skywards with no trouble.

I do agree in principal though, the Honda is very mellow in the way it churns out the poke..

CJ

Old 03-26-2008, 09:50 AM

Well, if you want it to be quick.......being on the ground is the way to do it.

Check the sprockets.....rear tire, etc..........
It should and will if running properly jack it up in first NO problem under heavy acceleration. 2nd I could do if I closed the throttle and whacked it back open.......although clutching it was easier.
It should be pretty impressive to ride if tuned properly.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:36 PM

Hey bigguns69, welcome to the forum.

I have the same situation that you have. i wouldnt call it a problem as I'm not a fan of lifting the front, it more like a characteristic of teh 93/94 blade. The only time my girl lifted her front when I was showing and arrogant dude on a CBR250 his *** as he kept on hounding me to drag him after a couple of stop lights. When push came to shove, I launched in first and it felt like my eyes were getting sucked into the back of my head, but her wheel stayed firmly planted, i revved her up to about 8000rpm, when I dumped into second and her wheel popped up for about 2 seconds, hovering about 15cm off the ground (I guess), before resting down softly. That was the only wheely she has ever done so far. Her rear has never come loose as well, its almost like she's running on superglue. I have standard hard compound Bridgestones on her rims, which give me ample grip as well as durability on dry road. Well ok, she's not that sticky in the wet though due to the hard compound.

In terms of dragging this is perfect as you actually lose time with the front in the air.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:02 PM

If your looking to amp it up though you can do the 520 swap and go -1 front and +2 in the rear. That gives it a little more kick.

Quick Reply: Perception of power 94 900RR