CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

overheating problem, what to do next

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 08:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default overheating problem, what to do next

Just went to the workshop last Saturday to collect my bike after I sent her for servicing, dynojet, KN filter and exhaust replacement. She was having overheating problem too. After a long two n half weeks, Ijust can't wait to ride her. Paid the bill and took her off; she was blazing on the highway andthe torque just simplyamazing. Wow!

The bad news is when I reached home I suddenly noticed the temperature needle is hitting the red line, again.Straight awaywent back tothe workshop. All the foremen were cracking thier head; the coolant level is ok, fan is running ok, water pump running ok, they replaced the thermostat immediately but still no luck. What really puzzling me isthe needle is going upwhen I run more faster on the highway; where I thought it should be the other way. The needle will remain above the normal level until the engine is turned off, regardless the fan is running or not.

Does any of you guys had faced this problem? Please help, need some advice here. She is in the workshop again. The shopowner gave me a replacement bike, a 98 kawa zx7r. Let me tell you, the 7r is no where to my rr.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: overheating problem, what to do next

no clue is the bike obviously overheating or is it just the guage?? that is wierd that the shop gave u a replacement bike. and yes the bike should be cooler when you are running about 50 + in 6th it should cool down really fast.
sorry but that is all that i got. have you done a coolant flush lately?
JonBrown

Old 10-08-2007, 12:56 AM
Ava

The cooling lines might be clogged somewhere? If the fan is working fine, the thermostat, etc, I can't imagine what else it might be other than perhaps a faulty gauge? I had overheating issues with my fan not coming on, replaced it three times, and then realized it was a damn loose connection near the fuse box and I wasted damn near a hundred bucks on used fans from ebay. Let me know when you figure out what it is, because that seems VERY strange.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:17 AM

Had flushed the coolant several times but still the same. The foremen do told me about the faulty gauge but I don't think so. Perhaps the cooling line is clogged; but when I flush the water seems to flow fast and nice.

A friend of mine had mentiond about faulty engine gasket will lead to overheating too but I'm not sure about it.

The last alternative they did was to remove the thermostat altogether but things to seem get more worse, water start to drip from everywhere after they test rode her.

They had no choice but to give me a replacement bike because I was really mad and no transport to go back. I was hoping they will give the 02 gsx1000 but damn the bike had expired the road tax.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:28 AM

Does the bike feel hot? Is the engine hotter than shtt when you're near it? Is the oil cooler clogged/not working? If it is then I could see why the temp rises as you increase rpm's, regardless if there's airflow or not. Is the oil pump pumping?

11 is the cooler, 4 is the pump. Check the cooler and its connections first.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:38 AM

I can't feel any difference of the heat from the engine. Its always hot I guess. What you mean by oil cooler? I'm not sure about the oil pump eitherbut if it does not work I'm sure there will be much more bigger problem since the oil won't flow to the transmissions right?

Thanks for the suggestion anyway, I'll let the foremen know about it.

Old 10-08-2007, 04:52 AM

Okay, here's what it says in the service manual under troubleshooting for the cooling system if the engine temperature is too high:

-Faulty radiator cap
-Insufficient coolant
-Passages blocked in radiator, hoses or water jacket
-Air in system
-Faulty water pump
-Thermostat stuck closed
-Faulty temperature guage or thermo sensor
-Faulty cooling fan motor
-Faulty fan motor switch

Old 10-08-2007, 05:10 AM

Yes I had went through the manual too, the things that haven't check are passage blocked in the radiator and faulty gauge. Thanks Spirit, let you know the outcome.

By the way I had called the foreman regarding the oil cooler and oil pump as well. As usual they haven't done anything yet, promised to do it by wednesday, I doubt...

Old 10-08-2007, 05:15 AM

Just hope I don't miss the motogp next weekend.......

Old 10-08-2007, 01:09 PM

yea spirit i havent thought of the oil that would explain it alot that the pump is missing some teeth or something to not pump as efficiantely as it should. also i know on cars the head leaking can overheat the engine w/out any other signs but i dont know about on bikes

Quick Reply: overheating problem, what to do next