CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

NON STARTER

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 02:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NON STARTER

Hi,

I lay my bike up for the winter.
When I went to try and start it, there was a few splutters and then nothing (had to jump start from the car)
Petrol getting to the cylinders, but no spark at no 1 plug, is it worth while looking at the other plugs and checking them, or should I replace the ignition pulse generator as this is common to all plugs?
Any advice greatly welcomed.

Mac

Old 03-17-2008, 02:42 AM
Default RE: NON STARTER

Hey there

Since your bike has been standing for a long time, there is a great chance your fuel is buggered. Plus your battery and plugs might also be foiled. Your battery might be shot too.

Drain fuel and put in new fuel, charge battery for a few cycles, change plugs. If your bike is carbed then clean and sync them.

Your bike will feel like new after that and you'll enjoy happy miles on her.

Duke

Old 03-17-2008, 07:34 AM

Duke,

The battery is definitely goosed that was why I was jumping it from the car, I put in some fresh petrol and the plug from no1 cylinder is ok (gap and colour) thinking of trying to see if there is any spark at the other plugs and if not I think this would point the the pulse generator?

Mac

Old 03-17-2008, 08:06 AM

Hi Mac

The pulse generator would be a little of a last resort. If she was running fine before you stacked her away for the winter then the most basics could be the biggest fault. I too stacked my bike away for a while and that shot my battery where it would not hold a charge at all, and it left me almost flooding my cylinders to get her started. The starting procedure only uses the battery and no stator power, and is incredibly draining on the battery. If it doesnt hold a charge or is shot then that would be one of your first bets to change. Even if your plugs look clean, its worth going over them lightly with a wire brush and some carb cleaner to remove any sediment/grime that may have settled over some time.

A long stand is not good at all for a carbed bike as well. i have heared of guys buying their bikes from dealers, where the bikes have been standing for a long time to be sold, and having to come back to have their carbs cleaned and synced.

The main things that need to be changed/cleaned after a long stand is, fuel, sparks, carbs and battery.

If all of those dont give you any results then it will probably be the pulse generator.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:54 PM

Duke,

I've posted a thread asking if anybody knows the resistance of a working pulse generator on a "97" model, this should help me rule this out.

I'll keep you posted.

Mac