CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 900RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-900rr-19/)
-   -   No Power to my Fuel pump (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-900rr-19/no-power-my-fuel-pump-92537/)

MT_900RR 04-29-2009 08:45 PM

No Power to my Fuel pump

2 Attachment(s)
So, I'm new to both this forum and to my bike... so please hang in there with me. Recently, my 1995 Honda CBR 900RR bike stopped working. After a little digging, I found that my fuel pump wasn't working. Being a complete idiot, I said "Oh, I don't mind blowing 160 bucks on a fuel pump, I'll just go buy one... without getting my old one tested." Turns out, probably a bad idea. I installed my new pump and still nothing. So, I busted out my tester to see if it was getting any power... none. Now, I don't know what to do. I ordered a manual, but it won't be here for awhile. So, I decided to see if I could get some help here too. PLEASE! :) A little more on the problem: 1) The fuel filter isn't getting power. 2) The Speedometer (I think - Refer to picture for more details) isn't getting any power 3) The green "loop" isn't getting any power I've included a couple of pictures to help out. The second one is the regulator rectifier. The only reason I bring this up is that I matched the 3 yellow wires (also neg. on power) from this to the speedometer (maybe) Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry that I'm kinda new to all of this. Thanks, Chris

camaropower 04-30-2009 09:18 PM

The one in your picture that you say is maybe your speedometer actually goes to your stator, thats why some of the wires go to the regulator/rectifier. Mine doesn't have a fuel pump on it so sorry I can't really help with that.

MT_900RR 04-30-2009 09:51 PM

Hey. Thanks for the reply. Seems a little slow in here.

f3BikeR 05-01-2009 01:32 AM

Not a fuse or relay issue? Did it just stop working while cranking?

MT_900RR 05-01-2009 01:40 AM

It could be. I'm not sure. To me, it seemed like it progressively got worse, but I don't see how that could be. If it was a fuse, then it would be all or none, right?

Note: 1) The fuel filter isn't getting power... I meant fuel pump :D

f3BikeR 05-01-2009 01:43 AM

So if you hook up the existing pump to a 12v battery directly, is it spinning? The new one should do this too...

MT_900RR 05-01-2009 01:46 AM

I haven't tried that. But, the new one didn't work when I hooked it up. The reason I know that I'm not getting any power is because I tested the connector on the harness to see if it was getting any juice, and it wasn't.

Thanks for the responses!

MT_900RR 05-01-2009 01:51 AM

Is there a fuse or circuit or something that could be causing this? I don't currently have a diagram, but it's coming in the mail.

Thanks,
C

900FighterRR 05-02-2009 08:36 AM

one issue that could be your problem is the fuel pump relay. This is a small black module wired in series before the pump. I would use your tester to see tht power is going into that relay and then coming out. Now, the other thing I m thinking here is that maybe you are checking for power to the pump at the wrong time. As I recall the pump doesn't just come on when the key is on, or it would build pressure without the engine running and probably mess up your float arrangment. I think that it works when the engine is running but I will have to confirm this on my bike. Now, its been mentioned above but an easy way to troubleshoot and norrow your problem is to check the fuses first, don't guess on that, then the relay, and then power up your pump directly. I would take your main fuel line going into the cars off and put that in a can so you can actually see the pump moving fuel. If all the checks out then you really need to a get a wiring diagram. I will hook up my test equipment today and let you know when the pump is supposed to come on. And so you know a fuse can go slowly. If it melts partially because your old pump was pulling too many amps then the blades of the fuse can sometimes partially melt and create impedance that will "slowly" burn the rest of the fuse out. Never assume with electricity. I'll get back to you later with solid stuff.

900FighterRR 05-02-2009 08:50 AM

ok, I checked my bike and the pump shows ground on both wires while cranking. That is as far as I can go because my gas tank is off and my exhaust is removed so as I said I am going to assume that the pump comes on once the relay get a signal from the ignition or some other Key On Engine Running (KOER) source. So unfortunately I am not sure that your having any issue with your pump at all. You need to hot wire that first or buy a power probe to see that the pump is working, then you can backtrack from there. The fuel pump relay is the black box in the very top center of your picture, the one with the 4 wire connector attached to the battery tray. You will need the diagram look into the relays functionality. Does the bike not start at all? This could be something totally unrelated to the pump. If you can fire the bike up you should see the pump run, and at idle the carbs should get fuel through the system. Check your furl filter, and make sure you have a enough gas or switch your tank to reserve if your not sure. I need more info to help you any more but hope that some of this info will get you somewhere. Good luck