CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 900RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-900rr-19/)
-   -   No Power to my Fuel pump (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-900rr-19/no-power-my-fuel-pump-92537/)

MT_900RR 04-29-2009 08:45 PM

No Power to my Fuel pump

2 Attachment(s)
So, I'm new to both this forum and to my bike... so please hang in there with me. Recently, my 1995 Honda CBR 900RR bike stopped working. After a little digging, I found that my fuel pump wasn't working. Being a complete idiot, I said "Oh, I don't mind blowing 160 bucks on a fuel pump, I'll just go buy one... without getting my old one tested." Turns out, probably a bad idea. I installed my new pump and still nothing. So, I busted out my tester to see if it was getting any power... none. Now, I don't know what to do. I ordered a manual, but it won't be here for awhile. So, I decided to see if I could get some help here too. PLEASE! :) A little more on the problem: 1) The fuel filter isn't getting power. 2) The Speedometer (I think - Refer to picture for more details) isn't getting any power 3) The green "loop" isn't getting any power I've included a couple of pictures to help out. The second one is the regulator rectifier. The only reason I bring this up is that I matched the 3 yellow wires (also neg. on power) from this to the speedometer (maybe) Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry that I'm kinda new to all of this. Thanks, Chris

camaropower 04-30-2009 09:18 PM

The one in your picture that you say is maybe your speedometer actually goes to your stator, thats why some of the wires go to the regulator/rectifier. Mine doesn't have a fuel pump on it so sorry I can't really help with that.

MT_900RR 04-30-2009 09:51 PM

Hey. Thanks for the reply. Seems a little slow in here.

f3BikeR 05-01-2009 01:32 AM

Not a fuse or relay issue? Did it just stop working while cranking?

MT_900RR 05-01-2009 01:40 AM

It could be. I'm not sure. To me, it seemed like it progressively got worse, but I don't see how that could be. If it was a fuse, then it would be all or none, right?

Note: 1) The fuel filter isn't getting power... I meant fuel pump :D

f3BikeR 05-01-2009 01:43 AM

So if you hook up the existing pump to a 12v battery directly, is it spinning? The new one should do this too...

MT_900RR 05-01-2009 01:46 AM

I haven't tried that. But, the new one didn't work when I hooked it up. The reason I know that I'm not getting any power is because I tested the connector on the harness to see if it was getting any juice, and it wasn't.

Thanks for the responses!

MT_900RR 05-01-2009 01:51 AM

Is there a fuse or circuit or something that could be causing this? I don't currently have a diagram, but it's coming in the mail.

Thanks,
C

900FighterRR 05-02-2009 08:36 AM

one issue that could be your problem is the fuel pump relay. This is a small black module wired in series before the pump. I would use your tester to see tht power is going into that relay and then coming out. Now, the other thing I m thinking here is that maybe you are checking for power to the pump at the wrong time. As I recall the pump doesn't just come on when the key is on, or it would build pressure without the engine running and probably mess up your float arrangment. I think that it works when the engine is running but I will have to confirm this on my bike. Now, its been mentioned above but an easy way to troubleshoot and norrow your problem is to check the fuses first, don't guess on that, then the relay, and then power up your pump directly. I would take your main fuel line going into the cars off and put that in a can so you can actually see the pump moving fuel. If all the checks out then you really need to a get a wiring diagram. I will hook up my test equipment today and let you know when the pump is supposed to come on. And so you know a fuse can go slowly. If it melts partially because your old pump was pulling too many amps then the blades of the fuse can sometimes partially melt and create impedance that will "slowly" burn the rest of the fuse out. Never assume with electricity. I'll get back to you later with solid stuff.

900FighterRR 05-02-2009 08:50 AM

ok, I checked my bike and the pump shows ground on both wires while cranking. That is as far as I can go because my gas tank is off and my exhaust is removed so as I said I am going to assume that the pump comes on once the relay get a signal from the ignition or some other Key On Engine Running (KOER) source. So unfortunately I am not sure that your having any issue with your pump at all. You need to hot wire that first or buy a power probe to see that the pump is working, then you can backtrack from there. The fuel pump relay is the black box in the very top center of your picture, the one with the 4 wire connector attached to the battery tray. You will need the diagram look into the relays functionality. Does the bike not start at all? This could be something totally unrelated to the pump. If you can fire the bike up you should see the pump run, and at idle the carbs should get fuel through the system. Check your furl filter, and make sure you have a enough gas or switch your tank to reserve if your not sure. I need more info to help you any more but hope that some of this info will get you somewhere. Good luck

MT_900RR 05-02-2009 09:59 AM

No, the bike doesn't start. It just turns over. I put fuel directly into the carbs and it "almost" started... it was a definite difference between just trying to start it normally. That's what led me to check the fuel filter. I tested the connections and they weren't any good. I'll test the pump, but as I've tried both my old pump AND my new pump with negative results. You say check the fuses. Where are they?

Again, thanks for the help. Your posts were awesome and I appreciate it! Hopefully I can be on my bike soon!

MT_900RR 05-02-2009 10:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, so I've checked the relay. Here's how I checked it: I removed the relay and checked each of the 4 wires for power (going in) and 3 were hot. The way I check to see if power was going out of the relay was to plug it in and check the back side of the connector. I figured I would get power from the forth wire, but I didn't. I've attached a picture of what I'm talking about. I have a question: If it DOES appear to be the relay, that doesn't account for the two other connections - the stator (previous post said that's what it was going to) and I think the other one is for the kick stand sensor (I think it was just looped so that the bike would run with the kickstand down.) So, that's the latest. Again, thanks for the help and tips!

luckboxx74 05-02-2009 03:37 PM

If all else fails, cut off the fuel pump and throw it away. You don't need it. My 93 runs without one and I'm sure there are lots of others on here without pumps as well. The 96 to 99 models dont have a fuel pump either. Seems backwards to have something the first 3 years and not the last 4.

MT_900RR 05-04-2009 08:51 AM

Anymore thoughts 900FighterRR?

900FighterRR 05-04-2009 05:52 PM

alright here is the thing. Your focused on the pump being the reason that the bike is not running but the bike should be able to start without the pump. So lets rule one big thing out here...the problem is pump related at all. Take an axillary line from your gas tank or any tank that is safe for gas handling and start the bike with a direct gravity fed connection to the carbs. Obviously put your filter in line and lets see if the bike starts then. Make sure the container can vent and is not seal and just hang it somehwere over the bike and have the line go to the filter then right into the carbs. If the bike doesn't run then the pump is not the issue. If the engine starts and runs and all that then look at the relay again. If you give power to the Black/Blue wire that is one of the two wires going into the pump the pump should run (careful with the gas coming out). If the pump runs then lets work backwards. You have power going to the right places on your relay. The yellow/blue and blue/yellow wires are from the ignition control module and I am not sure of their interaction with the relay once the bike is running. These same wires power up the two coils on the bike so they might be a pulsing circuit once the engine fires. I wish I could tell you more but I am still doing odds and ends on my bike and she is not running yet. What I can tell you is that the pump DOES NOT come on until the engine is running. If it came on before the engine ran it would kill batteries of the folks who are complacent and probably not function properly with the float bowls in the carbs. Only on FI bikes is a pre-start fuel pressure required. The black wire is from your kill switch and the other wire goes to the pump. So like I said get the bike to run first because I am starting to question whether this is a pump issue at all. If the bike runs then let me know, if it doesn't then let me know too. Good luck.

Sherrod Murray 04-10-2018 04:44 AM

Hey you guys I have a 96 CBR F3 and it is doing the same thing...... But but in my case I have made it as far as taking the gas tank off it's spraying carburetor cleaner in the carbs and the bike cranks... But but it doesn't stay running because the fuel pump never kicks in I don't know if it's the relay I see some people say it could be the ignition switch but one thing I do know the fuel pump is not priming how often is it a bad fuel pump and not a wiring issue

CaBaRet 04-10-2018 04:58 AM

First you could try swapping the indicator relay with the fuel cut relay to see if that works, if not isolate the fuel pump and put a direct feed of 12v to it to see if it runs, I take it your bike is a 96 cbr600

K.Black 06-04-2020 10:03 PM

Try checking your bank angle sensor. Mine had gone out and did the same thing.