CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

New owner needing help

Old 03-08-2017, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner needing help

Hey y'all I am now the proud owner of a 93 900rr. I am stoked and will be even more so once I get her running. I was told the fuel pump was shot. After checking the fuel pump is operating well. The carbs however seem to be having issues. I've rebuilt twice already and still doesn't seem like anything is getting through the carbs to the engine curious if I'm missing something. Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance.
PS as soon as I can I will add some pics

Old 03-11-2017, 09:11 PM

Howdy...
From reading your post, I've come up with just as many questions as comments...

For one thing, are we certain that it is a fuel issue?
If it is a fuel issue (no fuel) going to the carbs, then I'll add what can stop the fuel going to the carbs and maybe there is something you overlooked.

Here is every possibility that I can think of:
Enough fuel in the tank? Good fuel (not old and stale fuel)?
There is a petcock filter that is in the tank, if that clogs up enough, then that will stop things. Sometimes rust from inside the tank can clog it up.
Are you sure that you have the petcock open?
The next component is the fuel filter; has that ever been changed? Is it possible that it is clogged?
How do you know that the fuel pump is fine?
Next is the carbs; in rebuilding them you mean you cleaned them (jets are clean now?)

I'm in the process of cleaning my carbs now and have all those parts that I just mentioned to you in my house. heheh So I know all these parts from start to finish.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:14 AM

Sorry I wasn't thinking 100% when I posted. I put a new tank on her and have gone through the petcock and filter at the bottom of the tank. There is a new fuel filter in line now as well. As far as the fuel pump I'm not sure. I've still got allot of questions there. When I direct wire while testing to the battery it pumps fine but when ran through the pigtail it doesn't function at all. I've got new one ordered just in case. But even with it straight wired and working it's getting to the carbs but bike won't start on its own. If I spray starting fluid in the carbs it'll start but won't stay running. And as far as fuel level I've been keeping that semi low because I'm continually removing and remounting the tank

Old 03-13-2017, 01:32 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigtex85
But even with it straight wired and working it's getting to the carbs but bike won't start on its own. If I spray starting fluid in the carbs it'll start but won't stay running. And as far as fuel level I've been keeping that semi low because I'm continually removing and remounting the tank
Well, if it starts on starter fluid it's not electrical.

If the fuel is getting to the carbs, the pump would seem to be ruled out (though you could have a wiring issue).

That only leaves the carbs themselves. Are you 100% sure they went back together properly?

Old 03-13-2017, 01:35 PM

Unfortunately no I'm not 100% sure so I'm having my buddy that owns a shop check em for me cause I'm at a loss

Old 03-13-2017, 01:55 PM

There are some useful YouTube videos, might point you in the right direction.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:51 PM

I found some full detail videos on YouTube so I'm going to pull the carbs back apart this weekend and go through it again. And we'll see what comes of it.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:27 AM
Default She lives

So after tearing down the original carbs I found allot of junk in it. Soaked it in purple power overnight and still too much to deal with. So I started looking for a new set and came across a doner bike(95 cbr900rr) so I bought the whole bike for $150 took the carbs off cleaned them and put them in the 93. Then I tried to start her and she sounded weak so I replaced the coils and plugs. (New plugs, coils off doner bike) and then tried again and she started right up.😀😀😀

Old 04-02-2017, 04:51 PM

Bigtex, IF you believe the FP is giving you problems in the future, I would just remove it. I have been running without one for about 30,000 miles and haven't noticed a problem.

Have fun on your newly running 900! and don't throw the old carbs away! who knows when you or someone will need them.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:30 PM

Great news! Glad you got her running

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New owner needing help