CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

new 900rr owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 12:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new 900rr owner

Hi everyone... I just bought my first bike a couple of weeks ago and ran across this site when I was looking for information and parts. I got a 1996 cbr 900rr. I knew this bike had problems when I got it but didnt know everything... I dont know a whole lot about this bike but have picked up a few things here and there..

2 questions (to start with)

1. I can not run my bike with the headlights plugged in... if i do it kills the battery and the bike dies, right now I have been riding with the headlights unplugged but it sucks because I cannot ride at night... i have heard this might be a stater... does this sound right?

2. does anyone know where to order a cheap radiator for this bike... mine has a hole in it (but it is fine for now)...

thanks...

Old 06-16-2010, 01:51 PM

Welcome to CBR, Post a wanted ad here for the radiator or check ebaymotors. I would highly recommend buying a factory service manual, Once again here or Ebay. As to your charging system problems it could be the stator or regulator/rectifier. It is located under the tail fairing on the right side, Look to see if the plug is melted. An easy test for the charging system is to remove your rider seat, And put a volt meter on the battery with the bike running. As you rev it up the voltage should go up to around 14 volts or so
Good Luck
Jim

Old 06-16-2010, 02:43 PM

Thanks for that info... it was the rectifier that someone else said just couldnt remember that... is there an easy way to tell which of the two things it is... i had the shop hook up the volt meter when i had the rear tire replaced (ran over something, that was a wasted $300)... when the head lights are unplugged they said it was fine, when the left head lights was plugged in it was really close to the line but fine, when they were both plugged in though it wasn't charging... does this still sound like the stator or rectifier???

Old 06-16-2010, 04:01 PM

yeah it sounds like your Stator and/or Regulator-Rectifier might need to be replaced.

Sounds like the battery is not being charged or not being charged enough.

Sometimes the rectifer-regulator will go bad....and it will not control the electrical output and thus, the Stator is damaged.

Try ebay or craigslist for a radiator. That's the thing with our bikes, parts are getting harder to find.

Good luck!

Old 06-16-2010, 06:26 PM

thanks,

if i replace the stator and the rectifier is bad will this ruin the new stator?

Old 06-16-2010, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by taznut
thanks,

if i replace the stator and the rectifier is bad will this ruin the new stator?
Yes, if you only change the stator and if you leave the old rectifier in....and if it turns out that the rectifier is bad...chances are good that the bad rectifier will not regulate the electricity properly and the stator will be damaged.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:00 AM

thanks again i will just order both parts then to be safe

Old 06-18-2010, 02:27 AM

You're welcome! I'm no mechanic, thats just from my experience.

With my '93 Blade, I also had to have the mechanic repair my wiring harness, because the old owner had spliced into it to hook up extra kill switches, and I think lights too.

Hopefully you won't need to do any of that.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:29 AM

Taznut, how is your battery? If it kept dying out and dying out, it might not be as good as a brand new one.

Just something to keep in mind...maybe get the battery tested to see if it still does/can hold a good charge.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:03 PM

nice to have you here if you post its cool to have help in getting something done..have fun on it always looks out for idiots

Quick Reply: new 900rr owner