CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Need a little help with a little mirror stay problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a little help with a little mirror stay problem

When I highsided my bike a while back part of the damage was the little threaded part on the frame that holds the mirror stay bolt has broken off and fallen in the frame. So now I have only one bolt on my mirror stay. Does anyone have any idea on how to fix that? I tried a litte JB weld in the hole to recreate the threads and i was able to get the bolt to stay for a while but for some reason it does not harden like it's supposed to so after a while it breaks the bond and I have to reapply or figure something else out. It's not worth the expense of taking it to a shop and having them do their expensive magic so I'm looking for a home remedy. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 10-20-2007, 06:06 PM
Default RE: Need a little help with a little mirror stay problem

That sucks, sorry man. I can't really picture it though, you're saying the threaded hole has sunk into the frame and won't hold anymore? Is the broken bolt still in it? If it's fubar, maybe, just maybe you could get a mirror bracket from a 95-97 and mount it where they go on top of the frame behind the triple clamp. The only thing is that those models tanks have two bolts instead of just one like 93-94. I've never done it, but it doesn't sound impossible to drill two new threaded holes on either side of where the tank bolt goes and secure the new bracket.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:49 PM

Yeah basically on the frame it looks like a hole with a threaded bit that sits in the frame, the mirror stay screws into that. That's the part that broke off, I guess the stress broke the weld or something. The bolt is still nice and straight but it has nothing to bolt onto. It's the same as the part where the seat screws in just on the frame.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:08 PM

It appears that part is replaceable, check number 4:

The part is called a setting collar and is # 61104-422-000 and is $4.17. Hopefully you can get the old one out and just replace it!

Old 10-20-2007, 07:29 PM

i will try that, thanks

Old 10-22-2007, 08:04 AM

Well that setting collar is just a metal sleve that runs into the rubber bushing that mounts up to the frame so I'm still out of luck. I might just glue it in place.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:45 PM

ORIGINAL: stynkmonkey

Well that setting collar is just a metal sleve that runs into the rubber bushing that mounts up to the frame so I'm still out of luck. I might just glue it in place.
You could get some quicksteel, fill the hole, then tap and die that. It might work. I've used quicksteel on my car quite a bit. You can get it walmart. Its like puddy before you mix it then it dries solid like steel. Might be better than glue anyway.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:01 PM

Quicksteel is an excellent product. You can drill it, tap it, paint it, and it is chemical resistant.

Far superior to JB Weld...

Old 12-03-2007, 11:57 AM

That little threaded fitting is called a Riv-nut. It works like a rivet. You can buy a riv-nut gun that will come with various size riv-nuts for less than $20. It's kind of difficult to find metric riv-nuts so you may have to buy a new fastener as well and settle for having an sae fastener in that particular location. I've had to replace a few of these. The ones on the subframe that hold the seat will give out sometimes because the seat is installed and removed a little more often than most other parts.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:43 PM

stynkmonkey,

The other option is to have a Heli-coil put in, if you have not installed one before have the local machine shop do it.They do make them in metric you can use the same size bolt. They will drill out the orginal hole a little bigger and install the heli-coil and you are ready to go...... I checked with my buds here that have a mechine shop, they said it'sa Twenty dollar billand you are out the door...... [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Quick Reply: Need a little help with a little mirror stay problem