CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Many questions from a new owner!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Many questions from a new owner!

Hi there, i am new to the forum and am currently building myself a 1996 cbr900 sc33 to race for next year, i got it in a bit of a state for very little money, when i got it it looked like this:

It is currently in the workshop getting an alloy subframe made up for it to fit a honda rs125 (my main race bike) tail unit, a battery box, and a new link pipe for the exhaust to lift it up.

i have a fair few questions to ask, so any help would be appreciated, so here goes:

What adjustments do what on the forks and shock

what do the 2 other outlets on the bottom of the tank behind the fuel tap achieve?
(i am guessing they are just breathers but i wouldn't like to pour 5 litres of fuel in to find out!)

there is no fuel pump, should there be?
(when we cut the wiring loom down to the bare essentials there was the provision to work a fuel pump, but often manufacturers use the same loom for different years that use different componants)

i think that should get me by for now.

many thanks
Andy
race website

Old 12-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the CBR Forum Andy,

Looks like you have a fair task ahead of you, but are well on the way.

You replaced the single sided swiing are and went to a braced double side. What is that from?

The tail unit looks good too.

I'm not knowledgable in the set up of CBR900's, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly who can answer your questions.

Good luck with the bike.

Cheers, SB

Old 12-02-2012, 03:55 PM

its the original swing arm, as i am going to be racing it it needs to be as stiff and strong as possible! thanks bud, it seems to be coming along nicely, once the exhaust, tail unit and battery are all attached there shall be much less of a mountain to climb!

Old 12-02-2012, 04:04 PM

There is alot to do but getting the subframe made and the link pipe and batt box is a good step forward. heres annother pic of the subframe (work of art)
the swing arm is the standard cbr900 one, actually the original one from the bike other than needing new swing arm bearings which i now have its in good nick.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ajracing94
what do the 2 other outlets on the bottom of the tank behind the fuel tap achieve?
(i am guessing they are just breathers but i wouldn't like to pour 5 litres of fuel in to find out!)
overflow drain and breather.

[/QUOTE]

there is no fuel pump, should there be?
The only 900RRs with fuel pumps were the 93-95's (893cc). They took it off in '96 (918cc).

good luck w/ the project.

Attached Thumbnails Many questions from a new owner!-96rr-tank-fiche-ron-ayers.jpg  
Old 12-02-2012, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

There is alot to do but getting the subframe made and the link pipe and batt box is a good step forward. heres annother pic of the subframe (work of art)
the swing arm is the standard cbr900 one, actually the original one from the bike other than needing new swing arm bearings which i now have its in good nick.

That subframe looks great! And thanks for explaining the swing arm.

Cheers, SB

Old 12-02-2012, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear
That subframe looks great! And thanks for explaining the swing arm.

Cheers, SB
Originally Posted by splash
overflow drain and breather.

The only 900RRs with fuel pumps were the 93-95's (893cc). They took it off in '96 (918cc).

good luck w/ the project. [/QUOTE]

Thankyou very much, so i will just run those into a catch tank along with the rad overflow.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

hey nice to see you in here...
you should start a build thread or actually just keep adding to this as you make progress...

what are you doing with the single sided swing am???
..jay..

Old 12-03-2012, 03:32 PM

the swing arm is actually the wrong type for the blade conversion, it is the one to use on bandits ect, it had a home made linkage that didnt work very well. I will be ebaying all the things i remove to try and get back as much as i can to go into the race fund! i will start a build thread when i have a few more decent pics with the new subframe/seat unit.

thanks guys, i did some more digging on the suspesion, the adjuster on the bottom of the shock is rebound, anti clock wise for less rebound damping and clockwise for more, the adjuster on the top is for compression adjustment with clockwise adding and anti clockwise lessening.

anyone in the knowledge about the adjustment on the forks?

many thanks
Andy

Old 12-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yes, if the front is stock... you'll probably have to get a rebuild kit.. theres olins and a couple other companys out there that sell complete kits w/ springs and larger oil flow for rebound and dampning.. its still a pain tuning them in and a little bit time consuming especially if your just learning now.. I have a Clymer book ill go through today to see if I can throw you anything else useful..
basically with mine I turned the top settings and bottom to soft and worked my way up from there after several test rides but you plan on racing and I don't think a lot of guys care for the stock ones for several reasons..

Quick Reply: Many questions from a new owner!