CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Main fuse keeps blowing

Old 11-19-2018, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Main fuse keeps blowing

Hi, little help required, recently I've had a few minor little ****les with my 95 blade, had a new rectifier and solenoid put in, anyway, last week I went to go out on it, started up ok, got about 100 yards down the road and it just died, got it home realising it must have been the solenoid fuse, replaced it, but it blew again as soon as I connected cap on, over the last few days I've tried to narrow down the problem, taken off wiring to alarm, charge lead, checked wiring as much as I can see, but cannot see any problems and the fuse keeps blowing, I'm kinda wondering could it be the rectifier? I'd put a new battery in after it was fitted " motobatt" I'm just wondering if it's knackered the rectifier, I've put the old battery back in but it's still blowing main fuse...... Help

Old 11-19-2018, 11:28 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Unplug the R/R and see if the fuse still blows. There's your answer on that.

If it's not that, keep looking at all your wiring for a place that it has rubbed through and is now touching metal.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Leswats
Hi, little help required, recently I've had a few minor little ****les with my 95 blade, had a new rectifier and solenoid put in, anyway, last week I went to go out on it, started up ok, got about 100 yards down the road and it just died, got it home realising it must have been the solenoid fuse, replaced it, but it blew again as soon as I connected cap on, over the last few days I've tried to narrow down the problem, taken off wiring to alarm, charge lead, checked wiring as much as I can see, but cannot see any problems and the fuse keeps blowing, I'm kinda wondering could it be the rectifier? I'd put a new battery in after it was fitted " motobatt" I'm just wondering if it's knackered the rectifier, I've put the old battery back in but it's still blowing main fuse...... Help
ok, cheers mate

Old 11-21-2018, 08:06 AM

ok, cheers mate
hi, just unplugged RR, put the cap on the solenoid and the fuse didn't blow, so I'm assuming the new RR I've had fitted as blown , I'm just wondering if the new Motobatt battery I've had fitted is the problem, it was ok until I put it on charge for just a few hours because it hasn't had much of a run, due to work & weather. I contacted the seller of the battery and they said it wouldn't be a problem

Old 11-21-2018, 08:45 AM

hi, just unplugged RR, put the cap on the solenoid and the fuse didn't blow, so I'm assuming the new RR I've had fitted as blown , I'm just wondering if the new Motobatt battery I've had fitted is the problem, it was ok until I put it on charge for just a few hours because it hasn't had much of a run, due to work & weather. I contacted the seller of the battery and they said it wouldn't be a problem
Just don't get it, had bike 3 years and only recently had the following issue, bike starts ok, put instrument lights on, still runs ok, but as soon as I put headlights on, it intermittently cuts out, I've just put a new RR on so the bike started up ok, let it warm up a bit coz it's been stood for nearly 2 weeks, put instrument lights on, no probs, put headlights on, cut out straight away, turned them off, started bike up, no probs, gave it 20 seconds tried again, this time headlights stayed on.... never had this issue before,... I've read other posts saying they've put a RR on from a bigger bike 1000cc would this help ? But wouldn't the connector be different ? So I'm assuming I'd have to buy a separate connector to rewire and fit accordingly

Old 11-21-2018, 09:05 AM

The battery is not the problem. Motobatt are good batteries. I've been using them for years.
What kind or r\r did you get? If you put one from a different bike, you will most likely need to change the connector or hardwire it.

How are you able to turn off the headlights?

Old 11-21-2018, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by 74demon
The battery is not the problem. Motobatt are good batteries. I've been using them for years.
What kind or r\r did you get? If you put one from a different bike, you will most likely need to change the connector or hardwire it.

How are you able to turn off the headlights?
to be honest, the RR I've just fitted is a after market one, basically just to get it back on road as I'm selling it, but the previous new RR was a more expensive one ,about £70, but that lasted barely 2 weeks, after it was fitted I put the new battery in coz the old one was virtually knackered, everything was ok until I put it on charge for a few hours, then as per my previous post it died just 100 yards up road, as for your headlight question, I just turn them on and off with the headlight switch as normal

Old 11-21-2018, 09:23 AM

to be honest, the RR I've just fitted is a after market one, basically just to get it back on road as I'm selling it, but the previous new RR was a more expensive one ,about £70, but that lasted barely 2 weeks, after it was fitted I put the new battery in coz the old one was virtually knackered, everything was ok until I put it on charge for a few hours, then as per my previous post it died just 100 yards up road, as for your headlight question, I just turn them on and off with the headlight switch as normal
Just seams strange to suddenly start having this problem now after 3 years

Old 11-21-2018, 11:52 AM

We can't turn the headlights off here. I was thinking that it may have been a modification.

Have you ever checked the stator? A bad stator can mess up a new r/r quickly. I usually replace the stator and r/r as a pair, with the OEM parts, just to make the charging system as reliable as it can be. Cheap aftermarket charging parts are hit or miss.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
We can't turn the headlights off here. I was thinking that it may have been a modification.

Have you ever checked the stator? A bad stator can mess up a new r/r quickly. I usually replace the stator and r/r as a pair, with the OEM parts, just to make the charging system as reliable as it can be. Cheap aftermarket charging parts are hit or miss.
When the mechanic fitted the new RR he checked all the charging system and everything seemed to be in good working order

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Main fuse keeps blowing