CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Kill switch questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kill switch questions

So I have tore my bike apart again trying to find why it wont start and I have found that none of the plugs are getting spark. I even checked the coils with a multimeter and only got a reading of .1 on one. The battery has a full charge and everything, so I know that is not the case. However when I turn the bike to on with the key and everything works (lights, singnals, brake light, headlight) and turn the engine over with switch turned to run, i still dont get any readings from the wires that plug into the coils. So I don't think they are the issue.

So one question for you all?? Should the bike still turn over when the kill switch is in the off position?? I am wondering if it is the cause of all my grief. I get no spark even with a screwdriver up every plug wire when it is in the on or off position.

Any ideas would be great all!!

Thanks,

Jon

Old 06-20-2008, 01:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Kill switch questions

yes the bike still turns over when in the "OFF" position. but it wont start or give any spark at the plugs.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:54 PM

So would it be safe to saythatthe kill switch ismy best place to start when I am not getting any power to coils or plugs whether it is in the on or off position. Or should I start somewhere else 1st? It is not even getting power to the coils from the battery. It has to be that or a fuse or broken line somewhere. Would the ICM not working right cause the coils not to get power??

Oh and thank you for help!!

Jon

Old 06-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yes the main brain will cause it but i would look at the wiring in the plug housing for the kill swith an eliminate from there back before opening your wallet any more

Old 06-20-2008, 03:37 PM

Great! Thanks bud and I will give er a look tonight after work. Worst case I found a used ICM on ebay for like $179.00 which beats the $440.00 for a new one. But am still just hoping that it is a bad wire somewhere.

I will try and let you know what I find out.

Thanks,

Jon

Old 06-20-2008, 04:06 PM

Mine did the same thing, Turmed over great but would not start.
I was not getting voltage to the coils and if you follow the wiring diagram, you will find that the power goes out of the controller to the start/stop switch and then to the coils.
I just bypassed the switch as I did not use it anyway.
You can just pull two screws out of the switch housing and check the contacts with your ohm meter, and if need be you can bypass it in the housing.
Brian

Old 06-20-2008, 09:54 PM

JJMiller35,

Yea +1 from the guys there are on the money. If you jumper pass the kill switch you should get spark if the kill switch is shot, and it sounds like it is. Sometimes you can clean them with a little WD40 and they will work, I had one that the wires going into the switch one had a cut and would short out as if I hit the kill switch when turning all the way to the stop on a left turn, it would pull the wire and short out and kill the motor.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 07-01-2008, 01:43 PM

Well crap. So I took er apart again and checked everything and ran through the troubleshooting again and I still can't place it! Errr!! Frustrating. I found that the wires that go into the coils get power when the switch is in run and doesnt when it is off, So the kill switch must be working properely and I checked the ICM with the power at the coil wires with and without it plugged in and got the same reading. So that should be working... and I say should because you never know with those things. But if it wasn't working right it probably would have had different readings on the meter with it plugged in or not according to the book. huh, I am at a loss for where to start next. Everything gets power and it will turn over just fine, but the plugs wires will not give spark on any of them. I tried changing switching wires on coils to make sure they weren't backwards. And like I have said, the wires that go to the coils have power. Just not getting a response. I highly doubt that I have two bad coils all at once, but just to be sure I ordered a pair of ebay that come with new plug wires too!! If that doesn't do it though I am at a loss.

Does anybody know if the pulse generator being bad would do this??

Thanks all for any and all advice.

-Jon

Old 07-01-2008, 02:43 PM

This may not be helpful, but you should really check the continuity on the kickstand sensor before you go blowing cash on an ECM. Not sure if it fails open or closed, but my guess would be that it fails open. Does the kickstand keep it from cranking? Can't remember, just know that it kills the motor on mine when I put it down.

Also, I would double and triple check the 20 amp ignition fuse in the fuse block and the connections between the fuseblock to the ECM and coil. I have had the end of fuses oxidize and break the connection without blowing them.