CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Just a few easy Q's for a new 900RR

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just a few easy Q's for a new 900RR

Hi guys/gals!

I'm a reborn 900 RR rider. I will post some pics soon but I found a SUPER MINTY 1 owner 93 CBR 900RR with a Red, white and blue scheme!!! This was literally my first bike and I taught myself on this bike 10 years ago but had to sell when my daughter was born.

The bike has been sitting for a while so I wanted to start it off right and change the oil, plugs and coolant. I guess the one I am most concerned about is the coolant change. Does anyone have any tips or procedures for this? I ordered a Honda Service manual off ebay but it wont be here for a week and I kinda can't wait that long! haha Also are plugs a pain? I have never done them on a bike before.

One other question I have is, on my first bike my rear tails lights would pulse whenever I hit the brakes, and they would continue to pulse until they were released. I really liked that cuz drivers definitely noticed me more.

Also, should I get the carbs balanced just cuz? Bike has 13k on it and it idles a little rough, not sure why yet. Possibly just low idle and needs to be adjusted but I figure if I am in there already why not just do it all, no?

And also my rear blinkers were wired into the tail lights some how too. So if I put on the left blinker the bulbs on the left would light up and vice versa for the right. Cuz I Have to get rid of these ugly blinkers that are on there now. Any ideas how that is wired?

Thanks and I will post some pics today when I get home from work.

Oh, I am also looking for Second Look seats (red,white blue) if anyone knows of any, seems Second Look went chapter 11 I don't like my black seats.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:56 PM

Taillights sound like you had some sort of "back off" module installed, which also probably worked with the turnsignal deal your talking about. Could have also been a integrated setup.

If your tearing it down far enough to do the plugs might as well sync the carbs while your there it can make a difference.

The seat i'm pretty sure i have seen covers on ebay to match the bike i'd start there.

Welcome back

Old 07-19-2010, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by kryznic
Oh, I am also looking for Second Look seats (red,white blue) if anyone knows of any, seems Second Look went chapter 11 I don't like my black seats.
Nice score. My favorite bike of all time (year and color scheme). Started with a 93 CBR 600F2 , same scheme (wish I held on to her), had my 93 900RR for over 12 years now and still running strong. You can still score those second look skins here (if they still have them):

http://www.exoticsportbike.com/cbr900_(93-99).htm

Old 07-21-2010, 09:05 AM

Thanks DP, I think I tried calling them numerous times and only get voicemail, their live chat goes to a 'leave a message' thing and they don't reply to emails. Oh and their 800 number is disconnected. I think I might be beat and it sucks cuz I really want those skins. But here is a better pic, I haven't taken any good ones yet cuz I am a bit depressed that there is something wrong with the bike and I haven't even gotten to ride it once yet.

crappy photo but it is 100% stock, 13k on the clock.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  19.0 KB

Last edited by kryznic; 07-21-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:31 AM
December 2011 ROTM

Nice find kryznic!! It is rare to find one untouched like that. I wouldn't change a thing on it...but that's just me. ;-)

Old 08-04-2010, 09:21 AM

Thanks! I don't have any big plans for it except to get it running. Sigh....I just bought a D&D slip on for now. Maybe next year I will hack off the blinkers but that would be the most mods it ever sees. I love it, I just wish I could ride it

Old 08-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Smile

Wow what a great find!

I also have a '93 same colors....you will love that bike once you have it tuned/cleaned.

If you don't mind me asking, how/where did you find it?

Old 08-13-2010, 04:07 PM

Hey MT, Actually this is my second red, white and blue 900RR. 10 years ago I drove past a local bike shop and this was in the window, I went to buy it the next day and it was gone. It was on consignment and the owner took it home. I tracked him down and bought it. It was my FIRST BIKE EVER! I learned on a 900 and kept riding for a few years when I had my daughter, sold it to buy a new car. Fast forward a bunch of years and my girlfriend says she wants to learn how to ride, so naturally I used that as an excuse to get me a bike. I was hunting around craigslist and ebay for a few weeks and I saw a few on both, ebay had a black version that was nice but then on a total random search of Maryland's craigslist I found this gem. It has 13k and is literally MINT, no scratches, totally unmolested. Nothing wrong cept this clutch issue which I am hoping to resolve myself but if not I found a shop close to my job that sounds like they can handle the problem.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:19 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kryznic
Hey MT, Actually this is my second red, white and blue 900RR. 10 years ago I drove past a local bike shop and this was in the window, I went to buy it the next day and it was gone. It was on consignment and the owner took it home. I tracked him down and bought it. It was my FIRST BIKE EVER! I learned on a 900 and kept riding for a few years when I had my daughter, sold it to buy a new car. Fast forward a bunch of years and my girlfriend says she wants to learn how to ride, so naturally I used that as an excuse to get me a bike. I was hunting around craigslist and ebay for a few weeks and I saw a few on both, ebay had a black version that was nice but then on a total random search of Maryland's craigslist I found this gem. It has 13k and is literally MINT, no scratches, totally unmolested. Nothing wrong cept this clutch issue which I am hoping to resolve myself but if not I found a shop close to my job that sounds like they can handle the problem.
kryznic that is awesome to have not one, but two Blades in your life!

Good job hunting your newest Blade down, and by getting creative and being persistent.

Sometimes that's how those treasures are found, at least from my humble experience.

Anyway I hope you can post more pictures later, and that you get all of the things that need to be done, taken care of!

Ride safe!