CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel problem

Ok, so after replacing my r/r with a gsxr (because battery died/wasn't charging ) I have another issue. I'm not sure if its because of bad battery or not. My fuel pump doesn't start going when my ignition is turned on. Tried fuel pump directly to battery for a quick second to make sure it kicked in. It did. Started it by popping clutch. Reservoir that holds gas drained and bike shut off. Still has a little gas in tank.

Going to charge battery tonight, fill tank, and try again tomorrow. I hope the charging battery is fixed with new gsxr r/r and gas/pump issues are resolved. I'll keep u all posted. If you have suggestions of what to test or do, please let me know. Thanks.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:49 PM

Ok... so fuel pump kicked in when I put more gas (Was about a gallon in the tank right now), charged the battery all night. Turned the key, kill switch to on, kickstand up, neutral, clutch in, pressed starter.... and .... clicks. :/ I think my battery is toast after charging all night. Might just loose a charge quickly. Going to do a quick hour charge, put it back on the bike, and try the starter again. Now I was able to get it to run by popping the clutch. But I look rediculous whenever I do it.... SO.... hope a new battery will fix the issue.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:31 PM

Ok update. So it did not work. I think this battery is just fried, but IDK for sure. Full charge last night. Unplugged charger. Left for 6hrs. Did not turn starter over. Charged for an hour and immediately put on the bike. Starter did not turn over with the starter switch. :/ FAIL. I am able to pop the clutch tho. I really hope that it's just the battery. Hope my starter is fine.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:42 PM

do you have a multimeter? test the voltage of the batt before and after charge to see if its actually taking a charge or not

Old 09-01-2011, 03:30 PM

Grrr... 13.5v and 13.6v with bike turned off. 12.7v when key is turned on, but bike is shut off. So sounds like the battery isn't what's wrong. Maybe my starter relay? How do I check the relay?

Old 09-01-2011, 05:17 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you hear a click? Can it be the start itself that's bad and not the battery???

Old 09-01-2011, 05:19 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You hear a click? But won't turn over. Push/pop clutch does work and runs...can it be the starter that's bad???

Originally Posted by Paranoia
Ok... so fuel pump kicked in when I put more gas (Was about a gallon in the tank right now), charged the battery all night. Turned the key, kill switch to on, kickstand up, neutral, clutch in, pressed starter.... and .... clicks. :/ I think my battery is toast after charging all night. Might just loose a charge quickly. Going to do a quick hour charge, put it back on the bike, and try the starter again. Now I was able to get it to run by popping the clutch. But I look rediculous whenever I do it.... SO.... hope a new battery will fix the issue.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:43 PM

If it is clicking then i would say your batter y is toast. How old is the battery? I would take your battery to go and get tested. To test the relay you can jump the terminals. just follow your positive wire to the starter selenoid. also borrow a good battery and see if the bike turns over. 12.7 sounds a little low for a battery to turn over a bike. And if you charged it all night then i think the problem is the battery. I would start there before anywhere else.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:34 PM

Its a brand new battery. Problem is that my old rectifier was bad I think. replaced it and this is what my battery is sitting at. :/

Old 09-02-2011, 02:49 PM

i would just get it tested still just ot be safe. also did you try to jump the starter selenoid at all? Do the steps that have been recommended to you or even try to take a video of what it is doing and then we could maybe help you better

Quick Reply: fuel problem