CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Frame Sliders on a 93

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Frame Sliders on a 93

thanks stynky also has anyone ever laid a 900 down with sliders? what is protected because ive been reading around and everyone says that diff bikes are protected differently. my main concern is the fairing and the levers i guess so any imput would be nice
thanks
JonBrown

Old 09-23-2007, 03:46 PM

Okay, here's another question. If the bike tips over, would it land on the slider, putting its entire weight onto a single point...the point at which the engine mounts to the frame...and crack the mount?

Old 09-23-2007, 10:58 PM

ORIGINAL: SpiritRR

Okay, here's another question. If the bike tips over, would it land on the slider, putting its entire weight onto a single point...the point at which the engine mounts to the frame...and crack the mount?
I remember reading something about that and it has to do with how long they are (aka how far they stick out.) and what they are made of. Delrin sliders are designed to absorb some impact and they shred away slowing the bike down on a slide. There are some aluminum ones out there and some are extended, those I think would screw your bike up. I've not heard of anyone with sliders bending their frames from dropping their bike on them, usually thats when they come in the handiest. At speed though all bets are off. If your bike flips or hits a ditch nothing will help it.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ your absolutely right. I've got a 93 red/black/grey with sliders (see sig)Man, if you do it right it can look like a very clean installation. Believe me I had no desire to cut my pristine fairing up. I didn't use a hole saw, I used a dremel and just made the hole bigger and bigger till it fit perfect. I have almost no gap between the slider and the fairing, and IMO, looks tuffer with sliders on it. My bike has never been down, but I'm gonna invest in sliders (got em for 25 bucks) to help save the major components of the bike. If you do go down, your fairings will probably get scratched but your not gotta destroy other major components. My 2 cents, do it. Take your time, measure three times cut once. It CAN look good.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:44 PM

Thanks Crazy, I was hoping you'd chime in. Your bike is the single best looking 900 anywhere...black frame and black swingarm are just SICK. If you can cut holes in that babe, then, well...Here's what I'll do, I'll take the spares that I have (they ain't perfect) and cut those, then I'll have both!

If you haven't seen Crazy's bike, check out https://cbrforum.com/m_381050/mpage_2/key_/tm.htm
at the bottom of the page. It was the whole reason I joined this forum...

Old 09-24-2007, 12:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks man ... I'm honored really. Wasn't easy gettin that frame to powdercoat!! haha. and i'd do exactly what you are doin with the spares. way to use your head. Good luck and keep us posted

Old 09-24-2007, 01:23 PM

yea i do agree that crazy's 900 is the most beautifull thing to grace this forum but i think that mine isnt that bad. lol
ohand i have a ? what jets did you get with ur D&D? that is the exhaust i am goin to but in a week or so
but i will have the carbon can cause the tex flag pisses me off
lol
JonBrown

Old 09-24-2007, 01:34 PM

Ummm...she has elbows? Must've missed them, sorry. Forget frame sliders - don't drop your bike! And if you wanna protect it, I mean seriously keep it safe, as well as have a much better look than some pegs sticking out of your sides like a Frankenbike, get the freestyle cages. They're sexier, bigger, and better for a soft landing...sorta like that girl doesn't land on her elbows when she's headed for a faceplant.

Dave

Old 09-24-2007, 02:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: halfwayd

Ummm...she has elbows? Must've missed them, sorry. Forget frame sliders - don't drop your bike! And if you wanna protect it, I mean seriously keep it safe, as well as have a much better look than some pegs sticking out of your sides like a Frankenbike, get the freestyle cages. They're sexier, bigger, and better for a soft landing...sorta like that girl doesn't land on her elbows when she's headed for a faceplant.

Dave
crash cages are fugly. My sliders save me alot of money yesterday. And the only way to make sure ya dont drop ya bike is not own one.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:30 PM

Glad to hear you're okay after the fall...and I never claimed frame sliders don't work (though occasionally they don't do that well), just that the cages work better...check my bike out and tell me if you really think they're all that fugly; I kinda like mine(hey, I won't have my feelings hurt if you don't like them *shrug* yellow isn't my favorite color, doesn't say anything less about you having a nice bike, ya know?). I put some pics under Bike of the Month, November.

Quick Reply: Frame Sliders on a 93