CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

First time laydown

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: First time laydown

****, that sucks dude. But awesome job with the gear plug. I am always in awe of how many guys hit the road in tank tops and jeans, really very scary. I guess no one thinks it will happen to them, but as you have experience, all it take is one slight miscalculation and your along for a bad ride. Your damn right you would be in the hospital, missing about a 1/4" of skin from most of the contact surfaces. Chicks dig scars, sure, but not the scars that look like uncooked chicken skin and cover half your body. Good luck with the repairs and ride safe from here on out, eh?

Old 10-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Silverman, did you get checked out at a hospital anyway just in case?

Esp. for your arm and you never know, re: your insides or hairline fractures. Better safe than sorry.

I'm glad you had all your gear on too, and very sorry you went down. It happens to many riders.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:42 AM

I've got the same story but the other way around on the gear. I found out the hard way. I found out that there are other ways to remove tattoos than just laser.............pavement. That really sucked. Yes, now I recomend spending the money on gear to ride on one of these beasts. What really was amazing, is the fact that you think it can't happen to the experienced riders....lol. I've been riding for almost 12 years with no mishaps, and bang, I entered the tattoo removal operating room....aka, the road rash operation bike dump, lol. Hope all goes well for you.

Keep life rolling.........on two wheels of course.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:38 PM

When I picked up my bike from the Honda dealer last week, after getting the new headlight, I noticed the salesguys teasing this one cashier.

Only then did I notice he had his right forearm heavily bandaged. He had just gone down recently and it looked like a serious case of road rash.

This one lady pointed at my leather suit and said to him, "See?This is what you should have been wearing."

Although leather still won't save your body from broken bones or internal bleeding.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:42 PM

LOL all too true MT. when me and the ex wife crashed we were both geared up and got away with only minor bruising and a major hurt ego.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:51 PM

Thanks all....no I haven't gone to a hospital. Still sore but I can tell I am going to be fine. It's amazing how right after a wreck you can't tell how hurt you are until several hours later. I'm guessing the adrenaline does that. I carried my sleeping 16 month old daughter around today and had no probs.

I just bought my wife a 2007 Ninja 250. She has a helmet and a Scorpion EXO Electra jacket. We areshopping foralpinestar SMX 5 boots, Textile overpants and Knee/Shin Armor for her. I'd like to find the boots used if I can. I got my Gaernes for $40 used and they go for almost $300. I like the Idea of leather, but more importantly for me is the armor on the knees and elbows etc. If I go down again my feelings wont be hurt if I have to replace an item. The leather doesnt seem to include much extra padding/armor. I know it is tough stuff, but I worry about impact more that abrasion.

Anyway I'm rambling on now, thanks again for the support. I'm excited about throwing the bike around again, this weekend is gonna be sunny and 65 in East TN.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:16 PM

Right on Silverman! Glad to hear the good news!

Lemme ask you a question, is it pretty normal to see riders in full leather, boots, gloves and helmet? Or is it rare?

Where I live, people believe it or not are often seen riding sportbikes, cruisers, whatever in jeans and a short sleeve t-shirt ANDa helmet!

I get strange looks when I wear my full leather gear and I don't understand why more riders don't do it too.

Makes absolutely no sense to me. [&o]

Old 10-28-2008, 10:20 PM

the most interesting are riders who wear NO helmet, and shorts, tank top and slippers [&o]

Old 10-29-2008, 08:18 AM

MT, It seems to be about 50/50 by numbers here. By age it seems that the younger the rider the less protected they are. I'm 34 and always the most protected on group rides. Most of the people on cruisers around here are underprotected, but they are not going mach 3 around hairpin turns, but in the even that they go down they are usually underdressed, but they look good!!! IMO I look like a power ranger, all pure Red and Black and Grey in color. Mirror shield. I draw more attention with all my gear on, I feel that it is positive attention, insted of people saying "look at thet fool riding naked on a rocket, they are saying, thats dangerous but he's thinking and prepared for consequences. After all....wasn't the primary job of our parents to teach us to make good judgements and understand consequences? Too often it is too late before riders truelly understand how important it is to be prepared, even if it is inconvenient.

If you ride as much as I do, it's not a question of if I go down, It's a question of when I go down. I'm planning my next encounter with the asphalt presently.

Like I said though, I concentrate more on IMPACT protection instead of worrying about how many slides my gear will stand up to before it needs replacing. I have no problem replacing inexpensive textile gear after every fall, it's worth it. Leather is more expensive, stands up to sliding on the road more times, but it wont protect from impact.

Anyway that is a debate that could go on forever, as it has in the past.

Finally answer....Half of the riders here are crazy ignorant, regardless of what kind of bike they are riding. A person could lose a nipple out there!

Old 10-29-2008, 10:37 AM

very well said silverman. Do you have pics of the damage/gear? i wish the best luck to you. Oh! i bought my SHoguns off ebay for like 20 bucks including shipping. thought id throw that out there so you didnt spend too much on them

Quick Reply: First time laydown