CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

First time laydown

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time laydown

Well, It finally happened, at about50 MPH, tight right hand turn,hit the gastoo hard, spun out the rear tire,

I ended up in a ditch afterbouncing across the asphalt,and my 1998 900RR went sliding down the street and almost under an oncoming SUV.When I got upthe bystanders were in shock, as was I. I can now testify to the importance of body armor, and frame sliders.

My bike is scaped up pretty good but the frame sliders saved it. and so is my gear, but I walked away smiling. I spent alot, alot of money on spine protection, a good jacket with shoulder and elbow armor, pants with hip and knee armor, gloves, boots, knee armor by Icon. I was wearing it all and it was WORTH THE MONEY!!!. Both knees were saved, left elbow saved, bothe palms and left knuckles saved, both hips saved. Ican't imagine going through that in jeans and a sweater, I'd be in the hospital FOR SURE. I'm a bit sore from impact, but no cuts or bruises, or breaks. Just a bit of whiplash and sore muscles.

Point is.....Please please wear your protective gear.... and put frame sliders on your bike.

My question....I bought my bike and it came with the sliders, now that I need new ones which brand of frame slider is best?

Old 10-26-2008, 11:28 PM
Default RE: First time laydown

sorry to hear that you went down man, but at least you were wearing gear!!!

Personally on my 98 9 i like the shogun extended frame sliders, they stick out a bit more but it helps with the bigger tank of the 900 etc

Old 10-26-2008, 11:35 PM

That's really funny, I had no idea what brand sliders but the one name that did pop into my head was Shogun.

Great job wearing your gear!

Old 10-27-2008, 12:21 AM

ORIGINAL: txn_driver

sorry to hear that you went down man, but at least you were wearing gear!!!

Personally on my 98 9 i like the shogun extended frame sliders, they stick out a bit more but it helps with the bigger tank of the 900 etc
Yeah and to brake a motor mount.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:49 AM

a motor mount is a small price to pay all things considered.=)

Old 10-27-2008, 07:24 AM

Many thanks for the Shogun info.

Very sore muscles today, the day after.

Thanks again.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:07 PM

yeah they will be soreeeeee for awhile but it beats having chunks missing

Old 10-27-2008, 01:58 PM

Its tragic that u had to experience it, but personally Im glad u were smart and wearing ur gear. I hope moreriders get to read your post andsee the truth bout gearing up and making it to ride another day. I've yet to get some pants, but im gonna look into that right NOW! Did your gear survive to ride again??

Old 10-27-2008, 04:20 PM

Suprisingly my gear actually did survive to ride again!...wel, all but my right glove, do they selljust one glove anywhere, lol. I wear textile armored pants and jacket, gaerne boots. The bike would have crushed my right foot, with these boots I hardly felt the crunch, and the boots are fine. It was cold so I had all the liners in, so I was sorta puffed up anyway.

Feels like someone ripped my right arm outta socket today, but I can move no prob.

I am a bit mentally rattled, It took me several mile to get comfortable with tight right turns, and I'mskittish.I wrecked about 100 miles from home in a national forest, lots of twisties, and getting back on the bike was spooky. But on the other side of the equation, at least I know what its like now, and I understand how valuable protective gear is, and I'm not sooooooo **** about scratching up my bike, it has battle wounds now. Plus, I feel like I truly got my money's worth outta the bike, after all, that is why I bought it....to ride hard, BUT SAFE. WEAR THE GEAR EVERYONE.

Thanks

Old 10-27-2008, 04:25 PM

Silverman925, I look up to for your positive spirit, always ride safe

Quick Reply: First time laydown