CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Engine sound perceived louder and different after full exhaust replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

We can certainly move it to the 900RR section, not a problem. Also, feel free to open another topic too.

I'll move after this post.

Old 12-03-2021, 04:25 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
We can certainly move it to the 900RR section, not a problem. Also, feel free to open another topic too.

I'll move after this post.
Thanks very much !

I think i forgot to say that i also tried that S-H9H2-HZC Akrapovic Full exhaust Racing system ( i mean with its E-H9H2 header / collector) with another Akrapovic muffler i bought second hand but like new never used , although the seller did not know for which bike it had been made .
It is an oval carbon long muffler , looking like the M-TCR1 made for the ZRX12100 and like the M-TCE2 ( i think those are the right references for the mufflers i talk about ) which was made for 2001-2002 or 2002-2003 ( not sure which year ) CBR900RR ( 954 ?? ) , although it had no db killer ( so, not street legal) and had not been sold with one as there is no screw hole to install one .

All that to say that the consequences on the sound were exactly the same as with the stock S-H9H2-HZC full exhaust system when i used the hexagonal provided with that exhaust .
Except that , as i used it first with the E-H9H2 header/ collector , before trying with the hexagonal muffler that had been made specificaly, or at least, included with the S-H9H2-HZC exhaust system for CBR 900 RR , i wondered if maybe the bike's engine sounded like that because i used a muffler which was not designed to be used with it ( as i did not know for which bike it had been made ) , although i did not really believe it could have such result , cause i don't think that in a full exhaust system , it is really the muffler that is designed for a specific bike but more the header/ collector but as i didn't see what could be the reason , it was the only thing i could think about which was not used exactly as it had been designed .
Then i replaced the oval muffler with the H9H2-HZC muffler designed to be used with the E-H9H2 header / collector included in that S-H9H2-HZC full exhaust system , made for the CBR900RR and got exactly the same sound and problem !

About the other topic i would like to open , about good full exhausts Racing systems available for sale , new in shops ( or if with luck i can find one that interests me , in excellent condition , second hand ) , in 2021 for the 94-95 CBR 900 RR , should i post it here ( in the 900RR sub forum ) as well or in the 900 & + modifications ?

Last edited by Highway to Hell; 12-03-2021 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:26 PM
Welcome crew
Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts

I try to pay attention to all noises emanating from my various machines and there have been more than a few times I've thought "What is THAT NOISE?" only to realize that nothing is wrong and I am over analyzing or getting all OCD. Happens frequently after: Doing a mod, going awhile without using the machine, or going through a stretch of road that has different acoustics. So, I feel your frustration!

Old 12-04-2021, 03:22 AM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

If you have a metallic ticking sound it will be a leak at the header, sounds like a tappet ticking but it’s just high velocity exhaust gas escaping where the pipes join the head, if you get some plastic tube approx 10mm ID and put one end to your ear and the other end to each joint in turn you’ll find out which one is “blowing”.

Old 12-04-2021, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mark9
If you have a metallic ticking sound it will be a leak at the header, sounds like a tappet ticking but it’s just high velocity exhaust gas escaping where the pipes join the head, if you get some plastic tube approx 10mm ID and put one end to your ear and the other end to each joint in turn you’ll find out which one is “blowing”.
thanks for your answer and trying to help me as well !
This is not a ticking sound but more of a big sound , hard to describe but what comes to my mind is some sort a mix between a big machinery sound , and some sort of big fan sound !
A mechanic in the Kawasaki workshop where they serviced my CBR900RR and installed that Akrapovic full exhaust Racing system ( and where they do all the maintenance on all my bikes including my GSX-R 750 K8 ) , as we were talking about that problem and i was trying to describe him the engine sound i was hearing on the CBR900RR since the Akrapovic exhaust system had been installed, told me it was making him think about some RAM AiR system sound , although i don't know if he heard the engine sound i talk about on my CBR900RR or if it was just what i was telling him that was making him think so .
But i think it is more the second option , that is to say me speaking about that engine sound changes on my CBR900 RR , that mde him think about the RAM AIR system, although i can't judge as i don't see what the RAM AIR system sounds like !
Is there a RAM AIR system on a GSX-R 750 K8 ?

The guy who sold The S-H9H2-HZC Akrapovic Full exhaust Racing system to me , at Performance Part Limited in Uk , told me i have that feeling because the MIG muffler i had on the bike ( a normal length MIG dual output muffler which has been shortened by more or less 1/3 rd by a previous owner ) before installing that Akrapovic Full exhaust Racing System , was shorter than the hexagonal Akrapovic H9H2-HZC muffler , so the muffler sound is now maybe 20cm farther from my ears and he thinks that is why i hear less the exhaust and more the engine but i dont' buy that answer/ reason for the simple reason that the engine sound i hear now since that Akrapovic exhaust system has been installed , is different from the engine sound i was hearing with the previous exhaust system, not just louder !
Also, it seems to come more from the front of the Engine !

On my GSX-R 750 K8 , i also replaced a small muffer , GP style , an SC project GPM2 which was instaled on the bike when i bought it , with an Akrapovic Hexagonal S-S6SO6-HZC muffler ( same type and looking exactly like the muffler of the Akrapovic S-H9H2-HZC full exhaust Racing system , except the one on my GSX-R is slightly less long , maybe 5 to 10 cm ) which s quite longer than the GP style GPM2 muffer but i do not have the feeling the engine sound is different , nor louder , despite the end of the muffler is also farther frol my hears about 20cm or more and i only hera a different exhaust/ muffler sound , as when i replaced the mufflers on my two ZRX1200Rs , it did not make the sound of the engine change !
and when i replaced the stock full exhaust system of one of my ZRX1200Rs , with a Devil Full exhaust Racing system , the sound of the exhaust changed drastically but not the engine sound !

The only modification i did which could have a little bit of similarity with that engine sound changes on my CBR900RR , was when i had a Dynojet stage 3 kit installed on my first ZRX1200R ( that i still have ) as well as 4 individual K&N filters to replace the stock air filter on my ZRX1200R , i heard the air intake sound changed drasticaly , especialy when i was riding in 3rd , 4th and 5th gear , starting from low rpm and going up full throttle at once , past the 7000 rpm !
i can then hear the air intake making a weird noise when i am under 5000rpm or so and then when i go over 5000 rpm, the air intake sound toes back to " normal ".
But in no way did i hear a change in the souhd of the ZRX1200R engine either !

One more thing i cà say to try to understand why i have this engine sound changes on my CHR900RR since the Akrapovic full exhaust system has been installed is, that when my chief of workshop removed the previous exhaust system , he noticed that when that other full exhaust system had been installed , especialy , when the header / collector of that full exhaust system had been installed by a previous owner's mechanic, the mechanic did not remove the 4 header's gaskets on each of the 4 pipes going out of the 4 cylinders , as maybe he was too lazy and found it too difficult and tme consuming to remove them , so he left those 4 old worn gaskets in place and forced another set of 4 new gaskets above the 4 older ones which were already in there and installed the 4 new gaskets , as if he had removed the previous gaskkets !

So , my chief of workshop took the time to remove the 8 worn / used exhaust gaskets ( the 2 sets of 4 gaskets that were inside, one set above the other ) ,then he installed a brand new set of 4 gaskets i had bought from the Honda dealer where i bought all the Honda parts for my chief of Kawasaki workshop could do all the maintenance on my CBR 900 RR .

Could this have had enough influence on the CBR900RR engine sound , for i hear such engine sound difference , once the Akrapovic full exhaust system was installed instead of the previous one , with " only " the 4 regular exhaust gaskets instead of the 2 sets that were instaled one above the other in the previous full exhaust system ?

Old 12-05-2021, 08:32 AM
Welcome crew

Originally Posted by Highway to Hell
Could this have had enough influence on the CBR900RR engine sound , for i hear such engine sound difference , once the Akrapovic full exhaust system was installed instead of the previous one , with " only " the 4 regular exhaust gaskets instead of the 2 sets that were instaled one above the other in the previous full exhaust system ?
Oh, absolutely! Gaskets on top of gaskets is almost always a sure recipe for exhaust leaks!

Enjoy your "new" exhaust sound!

Old 12-05-2021, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Samson
Oh, absolutely! Gaskets on top of gaskets is almost always a sure recipe for exhaust leaks!

What do .you mean , the double Gasket sets'could have been the reason for a quieter motorbike Engine sound ?'

Old 12-05-2021, 10:26 AM
Welcome crew

Originally Posted by Highway to Hell
What do .you mean , the double Gasket sets'could have been the reason for a quieter motorbike Engine sound ?'
Oh, sorry! Thought you meant it was quieter now with a single gasket... If it's louder, then I'm clueless! lol

Old 12-05-2021, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Samson

one sure thing is that i really do not enjoy my new exhaust sound , it really disturbs me to have this sound reaplaced the full exhaust and even thought about putting back the previous exhaust even if i disn't like the sound that much but at least i didn't hear my bike sound like a giant refrigerator or a huge Fan !
i dien't ride it since i have this problem, so much it gets on my nerves !
so i can't saty like that but if an Akrapovic full exhaust system can't make it sound good ,what could make it sound good ?
the problem is nit the sound of the exhzust but the sound of the engine !

what they did on it is replace the spark plugs , replace the air filter , replace the brake hoses and the brake liquid , drained the oil and replaced oil filter , replaced the cooling liquid , remove the carbs ramp to clean it a bit ( but did not put it through an ultra sound bath ) and replaced the 4 gaskets ( gaskets set A 16010-MWO-600/) inside the carburators ( between the bottom of the carb where there is the float and the part above I believe, i think they are called carburators tanks gaskets or something like that , ) , 4 O-rings for richness screw , the 4 valve comp, float 16155-413-751 ,, also the 4 carburators needle valves ( not sure how you call it as it seems to also be called conical needle or anular float valve ) , the rubbur support for suel pump, fuel filter and a set of spy gasket, dust cover, metal clips for the fork, to drain and replace the fork's oil , which has been totaly cleaned inside including the cartridge .

So i really don't see in all that , what could have caused the enfine sound to change except maybe the carburators ramp .
My chief of workshop thought at first the bike might have been working only on 3 cylinders , what could have make the engine have a differejt sound but when i brought back my bike at the workshop , he saw all 4 cylinders were working correctly ans disn't see anything not working which could make the engine sound different .

It really bothers me as it really takes away all the pleasure to ride that bike when i hear such sound and don't hear any cool exhaust sound whereas i just bought an Akrapovic full exhaust Racing system for it !

Old 12-05-2021, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 312 Likes on 256 Posts

Can you post up a video so we can hear what you are experiencing? That might aid those who are trying to help figure out the issue.

Quick Reply: Engine sound perceived louder and different after full exhaust replacement