CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Engine problem - What to try next?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MM900RR
That is a really good idea... take as many things out of the equation as possible. Also, thank you very much for the PM. I attempted to reply but it said your settings prevent receiving PMs.
Morning , sorry about the PM , wondered why I dont get as many messages , think I have sorted that now, as for the slides , I think they are working as they should ,wouldn't need them for Idling,when you cleaned the carbs did you split them and re-assemble, they can be a pig to get back together ( I know), not knowing the history of the bike , have you done a compression test, also if the Spark plugs get wet it will never start, how do they look, I'm sure we will get to the bottom of this

Old 03-14-2019, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Subjectively, that's pretty much what I've observed. (I knew they'd be damped as they descended closed, but I have no frame of reference with regard to how much resistance there should be to raise them.)

Back to fuel... would you know what this feeds?

I can blow through it (although it's fairly restrictive), and I hear the air quietly exit elsewhere, but can't locate its destination... perhaps the fuel enrichment circuit? Trying to determine if it's clogged or if the restriction is normal.
Thanks for all your help & suggestions!

Old 03-14-2019, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

That is the Cold Start Jet

Old 03-14-2019, 11:17 PM

Ah, thanks.. I figured that's probably what it was. As to carb cleaning, yes, I split them, stripped them completely, soaked the body and metal parts in carb cleaning fluid. Reassembly wasn't too bad until it came to getting the little springs between each carb back in place. Then I began wondering if converting to fuel injection was an option.

Have not done a compression test, nor looked at plugs yet. Failing to resolve the problem by addressing the induction system, I'll expand diagnostics to those (or switch to bicycles.)

Old 03-14-2019, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

Think it's part of the fun ,trying to get the bike going , frustrating too but a sense of achievement when its done, did you bench sync the carbs as there is a good piece in chapter 6 of how to set the butterfly's and to have the butterfly the right side of the idle bypass holes in the venturi

Old 03-14-2019, 11:54 PM

I bought a CarbSync Pro and did a proper sync. The really odd thing is, after cleaning/reassembling/syncing, engine *seemed* to run well (responded to throttle, etc.) I was in the process of completing its resurrection which lasted another month or so after the sync. Got the tank back on and last body panel fitted, started it, and, back to the off idle bog/quitting.

I did enjoy the refurbishment/upgrade process (new hoses, brake lines, R/R, LED lights, etc.) when it was pouring outside. But now, riding weather has arrived, and I'm anxious for the tedious fiddling to end.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator

I know what you mean , a few years ago did the same , put everything back together , started it up wouldn't run, scratched my head for a couple of days, then found I had connected the fuel pump inlets and outlets the wrong way round, it was sucking instead of blowing, bloody carbs

Old 03-15-2019, 01:03 AM

Hmm, could I perhaps have the carbs on the wrong way round?

Old 03-15-2019, 01:48 AM
Super Moderator

Just one more thing to add, when you try starting again turn the idle speed **** right off to give the cold start a chance to work

Old 03-15-2019, 02:12 AM

Will do (hopefully tomorrow). Thanks!

Quick Reply: Engine problem - What to try next?