CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Dies when I put it in gear?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dies when I put it in gear?

So I went out to ride my bike around the block last. Stopped and got the mail, got back on my bike, pulled in clutch, put the bike in gear and the bike died. I did this a few time before pushing it home. It almost sounds like the clutch is not pulled in when I'm doing it, could it be a clutch adjustement?

Old 02-16-2005, 12:30 PM
Default RE: Dies when I put it in gear?

Probably your sidestand safety switch went out. Mine was aparently going out for awhile and causing the bike to act funny, then it totally died. I replaced it and the bike runs like a champ. I think the part was like $59 from Ron Ayers website. My local Honda dealer matched their price and I had it in 2 days. You can bypass the switch as well. If you pull up your seat, you can see where the switch connects. It has a green plug with 3 wires. I'm at work right now, so I don't know the colors off the top of my head. I took a paperclip and stuck it into the first and last connector to bypass the switch. The bike fired right up and ran in gear. Thats how I knew it was the switch.

Old 02-16-2005, 01:45 PM

Will the bike still start fine if that is the problem?
It start just fine and sounds good, just when I put it in gear it dies. That's why I thought it was a clutch issue. I just bought the bike and the guy gave me the receipt for the new clutch he just put in. I will try the swithch and see, just wondering if your bike ran fine when that was the problem?

Old 02-16-2005, 02:29 PM
L8X

yeah, i'd bet on the sidestand.

Old 02-16-2005, 03:40 PM

The bike will run like a champ in neutral. You can rev it, it sounds just fine. As soon as you put it in gear, it just dies. It will sit there and idle or rev all day long with the bike in neutral. As soon as you put it in gear, dead. Perfect description of the sidestand switch. It's not hard to replace at all. I think it took me 30 minutes to do. If you need to ride the bike in the meantime, just bypass the sidestand switch. It will work fine, your neutral light will stay on, but it will go into gear just fine with the switch bypassed.

Old 02-18-2005, 07:52 PM

It was the kickstand, thanks everyone.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:25 PM

ok.. similar problem here.. I'm helping a friend rebuild his 97 600 f3.. keep in mind.. I'm not savy in repairing bikes by any means..

So.. to the problem and steps ahed of it.. my friend acquired this bike from a methhead.. who has absolutely destroyed the wiring in it.. we're talking speaker wire for wiring.. needless to say.. the bike finally friend the wiring and the voltage rectifier... we have since replaced the rectifier and the entire wiring harness.. however.. after doing so.. the bike has the exact same symptoms as described above.. runs great in neutral, revs, the whole nine yards.. however.. when we put it into gear. the bike just dies.. I've locating this switch.. however.. it seems to be MIA... we have the plug on the wiring harness (the green plug with three connections) Where is this kickstand switch located?? and would the wiring to bridge the switch be the same on the 600f3 as the 900?? Thanks in advance.. I'll continue my search in locating material that can shed some light on the switches location.. hopefully someone can shed some light for me soon.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gicon, welcome to the forum.

Sounds like your friend needs a manual.
Manuals can be downloaded here -> Click Here
Look on page 1-24 for switch, wiring and connector location.
The kickstand switch can be found near the kickstand.
Replace all speaker wiring if there are no speakers on the bike. .

Old 09-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tweekers do some amazing things.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:23 PM

thanks.. I found the location of the switch based from a manual for a CA model online.. good old picture pdf.. can't search. .but it did the job.. thanks for the links for the manual.. I have it opened in another tab.. but havn't looked at it yet mate.. I've already replaced all the speaker wire with installing the new wiring harness... what A nightmare the old one was.. I sure wish i took pictures.. I'm sure you guys would have had a blast seeing them...

However.. It's my understanding that you can bypass the switch altogether.. can anyone shed some light on how to go about doing so with this bike? (cbr 600 f3)

thanks in advance

Quick Reply: Dies when I put it in gear?