CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 10:24 AM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Cutting out

Afternoon people.
i got my bike out for a quick spin today and didn’t envisage any issues. She’s been running fine with no issues.
Choke on (habit), fired up no problem, choke immediately reduced to off. Rpm seemed marginally low as I pulled away but no issues. Rode on till coffee stop 30 mins later ( told you it was a quick spin !) , no problems.
Restart and ride home time, arriving at a set of lights the bike nearly died very quickly as she came to a stop, I managed to pick it up on the throttle and continued. All fine the rest of the way (pulled cleanly with no faltering on open roads with no junctions or stops) home but having owned her for nearly 20 years I can tell when something’s not right.
Just before I got home whist making a slow right hand turn she just died. She immediately fired up without me even stopping.
Pulled up outside my home and she idles perfectly. Rode around my block and she seems to have an issue at low rpms. It’s a momentary complete fail.
The bike has 3/4 of a tank of fuel and 13.5v @ the battery whilst running. Fires up cleanly but those rpms seem to have dropped and she’s “hunting” a little.
In line fuel filters not new but lower rpm issue steers me away from this being the cause. Does anyone have any other suggestions other than carb removal and clean.
Cheers for reading and any thoughts appreciated.

Last edited by wes 17; 05-27-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Wes , usually suspects eh? , cant remember what year your bike was though does it have a fuel pump

Old 05-27-2019, 11:14 AM

A ‘95 my friend.
Off to bed now as night shift beckons

Old 05-27-2019, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Will get the manual out matey, I'm done with shift's had 40 years of them

Old 05-28-2019, 11:31 AM

I knew I wouldn’t be satisfied until I’d checked my carbs.
Although you could clearly see fuel flow through my sparkling clean in line filter I wasn’t expecting the amount of brown paste sitting in the float bowls. Not good but I’m in there now and hopefully cleaning will resolve my issue.
Sonic bath at work will do nicely.
Cheers

Old 05-28-2019, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by wes 17
I knew I wouldn’t be satisfied until I’d checked my carbs.
Although you could clearly see fuel flow through my sparkling clean in line filter I wasn’t expecting the amount of brown paste sitting in the float bowls. Not good but I’m in there now and hopefully cleaning will resolve my issue.
Sonic bath at work will do nicely.
Cheers
At least that's one good reason to go work tonight Wes, nice shiney clean carbs

Old 05-28-2019, 02:33 PM

Quite right. Looking forward to seeing how they will look.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:38 PM

Carb cleaning completed and reinstalled but not without issue.
Unbelievably the cleaning went too well. The float bowls had pink and green marking dots that corresponded with like markings on the brass T piece on fuel pipe set up.
I went with what I thought was right due to bowl drain screws accessibility. If I got this wrong, can someone tell me if it can cause an issue ?
All back together, and she fired up without a problem and no fuel leaks. Relieved, took her round the block and all was good.
Back home and changed so I didn’t look like I had stolen it and expanded my ride. Twenty minutes later I’m a corner from home and she cut out again !! Same as before, no warning.
As I sat there, I’m looking down at my dead clocks and thought hold on, been here before ! Touched my key and lamps illuminated. Gentle touches to the key knocked ignition off and on.
Anyways, carbs are sparking, probably going to be told I need to swap bowls, and.....I’ve got to buy new ignition.
Could of gone worse, but not by much.
Cheers.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Least the problem (apart from the Ignition) is sorted, must be well worn Wes

Old 05-30-2019, 03:02 PM

Replaced with non genuine part 2 years ago. Still have the original and examined both alongside each other today. Honda part is of a much better build quality.
Do you have any thoughts on my bowls ?

Quick Reply: Cutting out