CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 06:22 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch problem

Ok, so my clutch out of the blue quits working??? Started today went to start bike, and engaged clutch put into gear and the bike started pulling with clutch still engaged. So I rode for a few minuites shifting through gears fine, and stopped and this issue went away. So I let bike cool down and repeated, same problem did not seem to hold at first then worked fine after warm up. So I go to take bike out again and pull in clutch and shift into first and bang it stalls, try again same result??? Is my clutch fried, or did something come loose?

Old 04-18-2011, 10:25 PM

I had this once, and it was because my cable was stretched a bit. so even though I had my clutch engaged (As I understand it in your use= clutch lever all the way to the clip on) do Dis-engaged, it was still "Operating" somewhat. causing the pull. A little adjustment sorted it out.
Another time I had to replace it.
Start cheap and move forward to expensive.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:22 AM

Another thing you may want to check sometime is the clutch springs. Over time, they can wear out. This may not be the exact cause of your problem here, but it sounds very similar to a problem I had on an old ATV I had once. The clutches were old as were the clutch springs. I had a hydraulic clutch lever on that bike so I knew it wasn't the cable being stretched. It would do the same thing as your bike is doing, so I ended up putting in new clutch plates and springs and the problem was solved.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Registered Users

adjusted cables with no change, so I pulled cover and inspected, everything looked fine? replaced pressure plate, and *$%#$% snapped off one the bolts that hold on (5) springs. Can I easyout this? Or will I need new clutch center? Do I dare drive bike at all with only (4) springs?

Old 04-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Registered Users

got bolt out phew! Measured disks, they were all within tolerance, but the 2 of the 5 springs fell a little short of the tolerance, so I guess I am going to replace the springs and test again

Old 04-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Registered Users
Default reply please!!!

Ok, I changed springs, and oil, still wants to creep forward when shifting into gear? What would cause this, the lifter looks fine, the oil is changed, the springs are new...? HELP this doesn't make any sense to me

Old 04-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Default Clutch issue

Well if you were that far in your clutch did you bother to spin the shaft that the inner basket is mounted with the trans in neutral. this should spin freely if it doesnt then you will need to look at the inners of the trans. if the shaft is free then look to make sure the plates and disks are not warped.reassemble the clutch check the medal rod that accuates the clutch this also should move freely. put the cover on and check the cable freeplay adjust the cable according to the manual the test ride. see if this helps you find your problem.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:57 PM

also check to make sure the metal plates are not bluing if they are you need to replace them. i would recomend getting a clutch kit a couple hundred bucks and you will not have to do it five times cause you really need to know what you are looking at to tell if clutch plates are still good!! and when you set the cable free play just make sure that the distance between the lever and the perch is about the thickness of a nickle! if the cable is too tight your clutch will not engage all the way and your bike will creep in gear!

Old 05-10-2011, 08:55 AM
Registered Users

I checked all of the above, there doesnt seem to be any warpage, or discoloration, and I did loosen the nut on clutch lever to get recomended free play, but It is still "creeping" and sometimes stalling off start interimitatly. BUT... after I ride for a few minuites,(after coasting down driveway fast enough to get into first gear without stalling) this problem goes away??? I did notice that the clutch center had some grooving at the back, is this normal? would this cause this? Thanks everyone!

Old 05-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Default groove

are you talking about the oil grove on the back of the center basket?

These are suggestions in the manual

Incorrect clutch adjustments
Clutch Plate Warped
Loose Clutch Lock Nut
Oil Level Too High
Improper oil Viscosity
Damaged Clutch Lifter Mechanism
Clutch Lifter Piece installed Improperly

I will send you a PM

Quick Reply: clutch problem