CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Cbr 918 rattling noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 11:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cbr 918 rattling noise

Hi guys have a 96 cbr 918 fire blade ita making a rattling noise when you load the engine up in a low gear as you pull up the revs ive replaced the cam chain tensioner and ive since had a bike mechanic look at it and he has assured me my engine is healthy but the noise is driving me mad i have noticed it is not there when bike is idling its when your pulling away and de acclerating in gear if i pull the clutch in the noise goes away any help would be appreciated

Old 05-24-2022, 04:14 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

That does sound very much like it’s the cam chain, very probably it’s the cam chain tensioner that is at fault, in the UK you can get an original Honda tensioner for £79 + vat and delivery from David Silver, it’s not a lot of money, fitting is easy a home mechanic can do it in less than 30 minutes, given the risk of engine damage from a loose cam chain I’d change it as a precaution, the symptoms you describe, rattling under acceleration and deceleration are exactly what I experienced when my cam chain tensioner became faulty, ignore you mechanic, change the tensioner 👍

Old 05-24-2022, 04:19 PM
Default Engine rattle

Thanks mate ive allready replaced cam chain tensioner with a brand new genuine honda one and its still the same iam wondering is it the clutch basket springs worn as when i out hand over exhaust there s no noise from engine

Old 05-24-2022, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Topmechanic84
Thanks mate ive allready replaced cam chain tensioner with a brand new genuine honda one and its still the same iam wondering is it the clutch basket springs worn as when i out hand over exhaust there s no noise from engine
Sorry I missed the line where you said you’d changed the tensioner!, clutch rumble is common but what your describing doesn’t sound like that, are you sure it’s not a header leaking, that can sound like a metallic tap tap tap sound.

Old 05-24-2022, 04:33 PM
Default Rattling noise

Yea mate the noise goes when you pull the clutch in if you rev the bike from low down revs up theres no noise only when the engine is loaded up in gear

Old 05-24-2022, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Topmechanic84
Yea mate the noise goes when you pull the clutch in if you rev the bike from low down revs up theres no noise only when the engine is loaded up in gear
Engine noises can drive you crazy and be very hard to pin down, one thing I would say is when I pulled the clutch in on mine the rattling stopped, on mine it was definitely the cam chain, I can only assume that as I pulled the clutch in I was dropping the revs and that’s why the rattling stopped as I pulled the clutch in , cos obviously there’s no link between the clutch and cam chain, but you’ve changed your cam chain tensioner so unless the new unit is faulty you’ve covered that, good luck finding what it is an report back when you’ve found it so everyone learns 👍

Old 05-24-2022, 04:44 PM
Default Engine noise

I will do mate thanks for the help and advice

Old 05-24-2022, 04:54 PM

Found this on another forum, worth a read, at least it tells you what it probably isn’t!, also mentions cam chain guide wear, possible?, worth a read .

https://www.fireblades.org/threads/c...rattle.132236/

Old 05-24-2022, 05:03 PM
Default Engine noise

Thanks mate i must take bike to my mechanic as its difficult to get 3rd gear when ridden hard he rekons ive a bent selector so ill get him to check chain and stuff when engine is out of bike

Old 05-25-2022, 05:34 PM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Engine doesn't need to come out of the bike to change shift drum and forks...

Quick Reply: Cbr 918 rattling noise