CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Carburetor Sea Foam/Carburetor Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carburetor Sea Foam/Carburetor Cleaner

The other night, I had by bike idling fine. I poured some Sea Foam into my carburetor and then my bike died. Now, I have to spray Starter Fluid into the carburetor for it to fire up only for a second. It doesnt want to run. The starter fluid will burn up in a second or two and then the bike dies again. Any ideas? Did I flood the bike? I also poured some Gumout Fuel Injector - Carburetor Cleaner into the gas tank RIGHT before I started to pour the Sea Foam into the carburator.

1999 CBR 900RR with a 1996 motor/carburetor

Old 12-06-2007, 07:42 PM
Default RE: Carburetor Sea Foam/Carburetor Cleaner

did you pour it into the carb directly? if so how much. and to which carbs?and how did you pour the seafoam into the carb(s) with the gas tank on? i would try and run some straight gas instead of the gumout but get back to me then i will be able to help ya hopefully
take it easy and hope it helped
JonBrown

Old 12-06-2007, 08:27 PM

I took my air box off. I then poured about 1/3 of a PINT of the Sea Foam into all four chambers directly. (I would kind of lift my gas tank up and out of the way.) The engine stuttered, choked and died. Now,I have an issue with it starting. I pull the choke all the way out and hit the ignition button. The engine turns but does NOT fire. If I spray STARTER FLUID into all four chambers, then the bike ROARS alive, goes up to like 7,000 RPM and dies after a second. Apparently there is spark, since the Starter Fluidignites. But yes, my gas tank has 12oz of the GUMOUT and about 2 1/2 gallons of 91 octane gasoline.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:51 PM

Put down the starting fluid, it's not doing anything good for you.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:30 PM

Uhm, ok... Any HELPFUL tips?

Old 12-06-2007, 10:38 PM

Well, you said you added Seafoam directly into the carbs and after that the bike didn't run, correct?

Empty the bowls and add the Seafoam to the tank instead.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:02 PM

bergs that is what i thought but if he poured the seafoam into the carb throats directly then it wouldnt have gone into the bowlsit would just go throught into the engine.
you need to remove a bowl of A carb and check to see if there is any gas because that is your prob. the engine isnt getting gas. check for gas in a carb then get back to me plz
and was the engine running when u did this? if so when did the bike die?1-2-3- or 4?
thanks
JonBrown

Old 12-07-2007, 08:04 PM

ORIGINAL: JonBrown

bergs that is what i thought but if he poured the seafoam into the carb throats directly then it wouldnt have gone into the bowlsit would just go throught into the engine.
Doh! I misread what he said.

I saw the word "directly" and thought "oh, he added it directly into the fuel line"...bad reading on my part.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it says on the can that the motor is supposed to be running when you pour it into your carbs I could be wrong tho. Ive allways just put it in the tank...runs like crap for a while but run that tank through the refill w/Super and you should be golden.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:26 AM

Thanks for all of your advice guys! I am actually getting on a plane to Hawaii right now (its snowing here in DENVER). Be back thursday, so I should let you know what happens with the bike after I try a few more things this next weekend.

Quick Reply: Carburetor Sea Foam/Carburetor Cleaner