CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Can someone who really knows please help??

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 05:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone who really knows please help??

So, I've had a few issues with the 93 engine in the 98 900rr. Put a 97 speed sensor driven off the sprocket bolt on, and it doesn't read out correctly. tried a second sensor and still nothing. Did more research and found the output signal is different. Been told many times to use a 97 gage and everything will be ok. Got gage and wiring is different, mounts are different, etc. SO, Could someone PLEASE tell me what i need to do to make the 97 sensor read out correctly on the 98 gages!!??? Appreciate the help guys, really. I'm selling this thing and it would be awesome to have the gages working!

Old 09-25-2008, 06:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Can someone who really knows please help??

What is the discrepancy in the two outputs. How does the guage read? Is it off calibration or just not reading? Is the output NPN vs. PNP? I don't have two to compare but with something like this you might just want to bite the bullet and look on Ebay for the appropriate guage to match up with your sensor. I don't know why 97' sensors would be special and automatically work with a 98' guage but maybe the potentiometer is not calibrated between the two for different years. For 50 bucks you can avoid all this guessing and wire cutting headaches and get your asking price when you sell. This is probably not what you want to hear but this is what I would do. Good luck and sorry I can't help you more.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:13 PM

Make a streetfighter.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

97 and 98 speedo and their wirings are completely different. The speedo sensor however is the same. THe problem should be some wirings going from the side cover to some regulator mounted in the engine before transfered to the gauge. I guess your 893 engine does not come with this wiring to support either the 97 or 98 sensor.

And yes the 97 gauge won't go to the 98 wiring vice versa.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:57 PM

Actually the speed sensors are also different from 95-97 to 98-99. The later ones plug into the top of the upper crankcase, near where the starter motor sits (at least in America, dinez, could be different in your location).

Doc, there are a couple guys on here (namely Jeff1980) that have built up all model years of the 900RR, pretty much from scratch. If anyone knows how to make an 893 work with MAS gauges...it is them.

So don't give up, but I'm guessing start making friends with electrical engineers...

And whomever told you to get 95-97 sensor/gauges should be hung with a flaming wire harness...the 893 never had any bolt-on speed sensor.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:28 AM

Yes, SpiritRR, thank you for acknowledging the fact that they are different. Too many people on here are just guessing on this subject and feeding false info. I know the differrences of the years on the speedo sensors, and how they all work. Problem is, from what i've found out more on digging deeper, the 97 sensor uses a 1:1 output, while the 98 sensor uses a 4:1 output. When i'm riding from what i can guess is around 100, the speedo registers 15 mph. Put the 97 sensor onto a die grinder and it will spin the needle around. Put it on a drill and will only deflect a little. Got in touch with the guys at speedo healer and they are unsure if their units will correct for the roughly 566% difference. Waiting on word back from them. Short of cutting a hole in the tranny and mounting the 98 sensor in place, i'm not sure what else would work. Even with that I'm not sure if the 93-95 engines have the same pickup on the output shaft as the 98. My guess is probably not. Thanks for the input guys. -Polaris Doc

Old 09-26-2008, 08:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My 97 900 had been hooked up with a 98 speedo sensor when the speedo was not working when I bought her. It is working perfectly well since then.
Maybe I'm wrong but i saw the shop taking it out from a salvaged 98 and fix it on my bike.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its funny (but not really) how much mis-information gets around when it comes to technical stuff. I think people forget that its not helpful if your not sure of your sources. I say that if you haven't done it yourself or seen it with your own eyes then you should save the advice for someone who has. It just seems like there are so many people out there who go on the advice of individuals who are just trying to sounds smart and knowledgable. Now, for my own knowledge I am reading above that the 893 never had a bolt on speed sensor. When you say this are you reffering to the hall effect sensor that bolts to the front sprocket cover. I only ask because I have been slowly unraveling what mods were done to my bike for the last 3 years. When i got it it had (and still does) the speed sensor on the sprocket cover. I suspect that someone may have swapped motors or done some other shady proceedure prior to my purchasing this bike. If someone can clarify who own an orgianal 95' I would appreciate. Lets all keep up the good advice. THANKS

Old 09-27-2008, 05:24 PM

You are welcome. The 893 never had a bolt-on sensor, except 95. An omission, to be sure, but most owners of 893 engines have MW0 harnesses (three production years compared to one), which do not accomodate the sprocket sensor plug-in. Your 95 is an exception, including a unique wire harness, and is the most difficult of all years to correctly source parts. In the future, I will always leave a footnote describing whatever exception is applicable for the 95 stepchild model. What do you mean by shady?