CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

bike wont start please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 07:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bike wont start please help

hi guys lately i was having trouble with my new battery fitted few months back it kept going flat. i think it is my alternator as i replaced the r/r just there but battery still dies after a while specially if the lights is on when running. next day flat battery. anyway this morning went out to start her and battery flat again tried to bump start in 2nd gear took a while but she fired up but it sounded like she was running on 2 or 3 cylinders for about 1 minute then she died. put bike battery on charge again went out there to try to start it and she is turning over and over but in the end i drained the battery just doesnt want to start. would a duff alternator cause this what you guys think what can i check. i have took 1 of the ht leads of and connected a spare plug i had sitting around to the ht lead and she is sparking against the cylinder so spark is there. i am thinking fuel pump or vacuim tap at petrol tank . how can i bypass this vacuim to get fuel in is it possible so i can rule it out.thanks guys for your time on my post for any replies

Old 05-03-2012, 11:45 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sometime when battery is dead, you can't even bump start, let alone trying to idle with Bad stator?

Charge the battery up. Start bike and let it idle. When bike is on idle, dis-connect the battery + .......

If bike shuts off....stator is bad. A good stator will keep bike running even battery is disconnected.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:07 AM
Default thanks

hi i charged the battery over night again there and tried starting this morning but bike is turning over but not starting it did try to start but just doesnt want to play. i know before this i did have problems with my bikes battery wont hold its charge after a few days battery dead. i renewed the battery and changed r/r last time still battery goes dead. someone told me the alternator is on its ways out but can i ask if the alternator is dead now would this cause the bike not to start or is it for charging of battery only . thanks again for any help

Old 05-04-2012, 09:31 AM
Nov 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it getting gas to that carbs and beyond?

What bike is it, some have a fuel pump, some don't.

Gas, spark and air and she should go bang.

Somethings odd though if the battery keep dying on its own. Going to have to get it started to find out though.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:15 AM
February 2012 ROTM

Yeah. Even with a bad stator, but fully charge battery can fire up....then battery dies out eventually...

So you maybe dealing with 2 issue...

1. Get the battery full charge. Maybe using a battery tender.

2. Let bike sit for few days, making sure carb is not flooded.

3. When you check the sparks, how did it look? Wa there oil, gas, what color was spark plugs?

Prior to having battery issue, did bike run well? Tell us history of bike???

Old 05-04-2012, 11:20 AM
February 2012 ROTM

In addition: check fuel pump & fuel filter...if filter is old & dirty, gas flow is clog = no start and hesitating...

Also, bad fuel pump is bad...not pumping gas consistently...

Like what zaqwert6 said....air flow + fuel + spark = ignite....

Check all three and get bike running first.

Then work on stator...

Old 05-04-2012, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you need compression too.
but i dont think youre dealing with that.
not starting due to flooded motor.
the manual says u can get it u unflooded by cranking it 5 secs. no choke kill switch on.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Default bike not starting fix now

hi guys and thanks for all who replied to my post. all up and running again simple fix but i will tell you all at end of this post you will laugh your heads of at this one. anyway i did fit new plugs about 2 months back so i desided to pull new plugs out and refit my old ones to try to start bike so i went at the plugs from the side casing area with the wrong plug socket at first as i knew this by letting go of the socket and the bloody thing fell below the head down where the plug fits. problem was getting the plug socket back out . so of with the tank air box ht coils and black plastic thingy thats sits at front of head. got a wire coat hanger bend at end and hooked the plug socket out what a releif that was. so i changed the plugs this time with a longer socket bit tight but think its better to change the plugs from the top by taking fuel tank air box ht coils and black plastic cover of anyway 2 hours later new plugs out and old plugs in. now comes the funny bit fitted black plastic bit ht coils air box then i went to lift the tank to fit and guess what tank felt a bit light. infact very very light the kinda light you might get when there is no petrol in tank at all lol. i was near in tears at this time . this is the first and last time this will ever happen to me i am 46 years old been riding bikes all my life and still cant beleive there was no petrol in my tank. the last time i filled tank up i didnt switch back to full tank but left her on the reserve. now that bike is running again i now have to remove the old plugs and refit the nice new plugs i took out lol. you guys are now laughing your heads of now at this right?. ah well i could of kept this to myself but i thought i would give you guys a laugh at my expence. ah well just my battery issue to sort out now

Old 05-05-2012, 05:10 PM

LOL. Glad the starting issue was as simple as no fuel. Now try the "removing the positive battery cable while the bike is idling" trick. If it dies, your stator/alternator is bad, if not you may have a short or a wiring problem.

Does a fully charged battery go flat after sitting for several days? If so, check for a short.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:56 PM
February 2012 ROTM

Glad you got firing up issue sorted out

Quick Reply: bike wont start please help