CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Bike died on me in traffic

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 11:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bike died on me in traffic

ORIGINAL: MI900RR

I had the same exact problem on mine about a week ago. Hadn't worked out the problem yet (thanks for the tip on the rectifier!), so I bought about 6 ft. of 12 gauge wire at Home depot and 4 replacement small charger clamps at Napa to make a mini jumper cable to stow in the trunk. Jumping a motorcycle battery from a car is a big no-no (think it is not as bad if the car is off when you do it). But when it comes to being stranded 50 miles from home, wearing leathers and it is freakin' 100 degrees outside, **** THE BATTERY!
That's a great idea keeping jumper cables when you ride.

Very smart. Wish they sold them at the local shop. Now THAT would sell for sure.

Any entrepeneurs out there?

Old 07-11-2008, 01:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MT Wallet

Bikes can be a blast, but once they stop running, they are a couple hundred pounds of useless metal. [:@]
I had once stranded for 6 hours; clutch cable parted! I was hopeless, waiting for help in the rain and shine, hungry, tired, pisst, paid for some unreasonable cash for the on the spot replacement (a scooter cable) [&:]

Old 07-12-2008, 02:13 AM

ORIGINAL: dinez74

ORIGINAL: MT Wallet

Bikes can be a blast, but once they stop running, they are a couple hundred pounds of useless metal. [:@]
I had once stranded for 6 hours; clutch cable parted! I was hopeless, waiting for help in the rain and shine, hungry, tired, pisst, paid for some unreasonable cash for the on the spot replacement (a scooter cable) [&:]
6 hours!??!! Wow, that is a long time to be out in the middle of nowhere.

Sorry you had to go through that man, and for the money spent.

I was out $37 for cab fare and another $60 for the new battery. [:'(]

Old 07-12-2008, 07:52 PM

Seems to be the time of year for charging issues. Mine died at the track 3 weeks ago. Stator, reg/rec and battery all took a crap. I think the stator and rec were original so 13 years on a part isn't so bad. My stator was only throwing out 30 volts AC. I don't know if the stator killed the rec or the rec killed the stator but I've been seeing a lot of posts with bad charging systems. Replaced the battery and reg/rec just saving pennies for the new stator.

In the meantime I have to ride the wife's 125 scooter to get my 2 wheel fix. Man I can't wait to get my blade running again.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:16 PM

ORIGINAL: stynkmonkey

Seems to be the time of year for charging issues. Mine died at the track 3 weeks ago. Stator, reg/rec and battery all took a crap. I think the stator and rec were original so 13 years on a part isn't so bad. My stator was only throwing out 30 volts AC. I don't know if the stator killed the rec or the rec killed the stator but I've been seeing a lot of posts with bad charging systems. Replaced the battery and reg/rec just saving pennies for the new stator.

In the meantime I have to ride the wife's 125 scooter to get my 2 wheel fix. Man I can't wait to get my blade running again.

Sorry to hear about your troubles [&o]

My charging system seems kaput. I tested it last night and it's barely charging my battery if at all, and my brand new battery that I just bought to ride home with? It's nearly dead!

Old 07-16-2008, 04:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So how is the outcome MT?

Old 07-16-2008, 09:54 PM

ORIGINAL: dinez74

So how is the outcome MT?
Dinez, I am going to take the bike to a Honda mechanic next month.

Meanwhile, I will remove the battery and keep it charged.

I will let the Honda mechanics check the bike and see if it really is the stator or regulator/rectifier or something else.

I also need a new headlight too, since the former owner broke one of them when he crashed the bike.

I'll keep you and everyone else posted!