CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Advice on 900RR Motor (New to CBR's)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 03:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on 900RR Motor (New to CBR's)

Hey whats going on everyone. Im new to the forum and to CBR's. Im in Iraq right now and had my dad go pick me up a banshee atv with a 97' CBR 900RR motor. The atv is very ruff. Needs alot of work but I got a great deal on it. Ill be home this summer and will cut up and change the design of the frame, currently its UGLY as ****. Changing shocks to drag struts, adding drag slicks and a fe wother small things, it also has an air shifter on it already. Now I have some questions about the motor. What advice can you guys that are knowledgable on these give me? Heres a pic of it. This winter I do plan on tearing the whole motor apart and rebuilding it all. But Id like to ride it a few times this fall after I do some work on it. Thanks everyone.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:57 AM

here is the pic

Attached Thumbnails Advice on 900RR Motor (New to CBR's)-4wheeler_9.jpg  
Old 04-24-2010, 10:27 AM

I've never did any work on the motor of my bike, but they have a reputation of being close to bullet proof.

Long as the oil was changed regularly and the engine was not beaten to death, and even so, they still last a long time.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:37 PM

Hey thanks for the info, thats def good news. Wheres the best place to get performance parts online? Also what advice do you guys have for jetting the carbs for some more power. Any on ehave any advice on these motors?

Old 04-24-2010, 03:53 PM

Hey does anyone know if the carbs on there are stock? When I zoom in on the pic they say Keihin Japan??

Old 04-27-2010, 04:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

doing a jet upgrade and clutch upgrade would be a great start. RR motors are SOLID and will take some punishment. I did however grenade 1, but that was a mechanics fault and got a new motor out of the deal....thats insane though, ive thought about doing what you got going on over there, but thats a little insane for my old lady to handle

Old 04-27-2010, 07:07 PM

Wanna get to know a motor really well?...Drag race it for a few years LOL. I've been running my RR since 02. Yes, those are stock carbs. Should be 38mm Keihins. Do you have the airbox for it? If not, get one. They are very sensitive about having airbox on and properly sealed. You "could" get it to run with individual filters, but why drive yourself crazy with the jetting when in the end it will make very little (if any) more power than with the box. In bone stock form, they are dependable motors. When you start modifying them and running the crap outta them, sooner or later #3 rod bearing is going to spin on you. For some reason, it gets less oil than the others. I've built 2 945's (one nitrous and one motor only) and 1 997. If you're going to go crazy with mods or add a power adder, get a set of good rods (I ran Falicon). Even then you'll need to freshen up the bearings at least every other winter. I got tired of it and just stuck a Blackbird motor in mine.
On that lightweight rocket, bone stock should be PLENTY fast!! Personally, I'd just stick an airbox on it and be done with it. What kinda exhaust is on it? Do some plug checks near redline (actually riding it, not sitting still) and see how she's running (lean or fat). Hope that helps.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:10 PM

Also, if you're going to be dragracing it alot...do yourself a favor and have transmission undercut while you have cases split. If you want good work with reasonable price, call APE. They can do it for under 400 easily. If you want the absolute best transmission, call R&R. I had mine done back in 02 and it still looked new when I sold motor late last year. They cost a little more, but they magnuflux it, undercut both dogs and the window gears, and they reshim it all back to factory specs. You can run it stock, but you'll have a jumping 2nd gear before long.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:03 AM

I plan on having the trans undercut this winter probablly and just rebuilding the motor prob. stock not doing anything to crazy. Im starting a powedercoating business and will be using this as my rolling business card. U guys know wheres best place to get the rejet kits for the carbs online? Ill be trying to get a used airbox off ebay sometime soon as well with a k&nfilter.