CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Acceleration Noises?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 02:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Acceleration Noises?

Whats up guys. I got a 95' with around 14K on the clock and I'm a little bit confused at a noise I experience under hard acceleration. The best way I can describe it is if you are in a stick shift car going up hill and your in too high a gear you will gear kind of a clatter "too low RPM for load conditon" noise. That is kind of what I feel like is going on with my bike. it could be that I am making poor gear selection when I want to open her up, but from what I have heard you should be able to put our bikes in 6th and give them full throttle with nnoises or "bogging." Its a very light clattering noise that I hear from the left side of the bike. Now, some backround on the bike is that it has a factory pro carb kit and perfectly synched carbs. Also, this noise will not happen if I start in first and give ehr full throttle through the gears, it only happens if I am cruising in second or third and open the throttle aggressively instead of rolling it on. Can anybody at least ell me if they have s imilar noise and then I will know that I have an issue and can keep diaosing. I have anew chain as well and maybe I have too little slack, so I will check that this afternoon. Let me know and any help is appreciated.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:19 PM
Default RE: Acceleration Noises?

Ok, a quick fallow up here. I just checked the chain, its perfect. However, When I was looking at the chain I remembered that the front drive sprocket has always been loose on my bike. THats not to say that the bolts that holds it isn't at 40 LB/FT but the sprocket is just think enough to allow it to move and wiggle. Now I got the bike this way, is there any chance I am missing a spacer or washer that would allow this sprocket to be tight? Is the sprocket supposed to have a little wiggle room? EIther way I am thinking this is the noise I hear, the sprocket must be rattling under had acceleration. That makes me feel better because I know it will not hurt anything, I still don't like the noise but if you guys say that its supposed to have a little wiggle room even when the bolt it fully toqued then I sill be satisfied. Any help or advisment is appreciated. Ride safe and enjoy this awesome three day weekend. We laborors deserve it!

Old 08-30-2008, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you mean that it moves side to side across the shaft, or that it wiggles side to side in the direction that the shaft rotates? Either way it doesn't sound right. I just replaced the sprocket and chain on mine and everything fit together really snug, even had to tap softly with a mallet to make the sprocket seat. But there might be a little play in between the gears if you try to rotate the shaft, but not between the shaft and the sprocket. Possibly you have an aftermarket sprocket that is a little narrower than spec?

Old 08-30-2008, 06:11 PM

The sprocket has play out and in if in the direction of the shaft. That is to say that the sprocket will go in and out maybe 1-2MMs if you slide it back and fourth on the shaft. And this is an RK sporck so maybe they sent me one for different year or something. I went for a ride this afternoon and the problem seems to be no big deal if I roll the throttle on. I remeber now when Is tarted the bike in the spring all I had on it was the front sprocket and no chain. I remember whne I had it running that the sprock was rattlling. I think thats my noise and I could easily put another washer washer or spacer on the shaft to eliminate the side play. Anyone else have any thoughts, or can anyone go to their bike and check?

Old 08-30-2008, 09:17 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should not have that much side play. Get good measurements and have a machine shop (or a buddy with access to a machine shop)make you a spacer to take out that play. The output shaft itself can have .005 or so play but the sprocket should not slide.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:00 AM

alright good info, thats what I wanted to know. I always assumed that the sprocket was supposed to float of the shaft but now I wonder what the hell I was thinking. When I got the bike it had an aftermarket sprocket and I replaced it with an aftermarket sprocket so who knows, maybe their tolerances are different. Either way I work with two machinists and I can probably find something in my garage today to take up that space. It will be nice to have that damn noise in the past. If anyone else has a suggestion on something I've missed then let me know.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:12 AM

When is the last time you adjusted your valve lash?

Old 08-31-2008, 09:22 AM

what type of fuel ur using ? and yes my 954 will do it as well if I put it in much higher gear and expect it to just catch that quick

Old 08-31-2008, 12:09 PM

the bike has around 14K and I checked the valves in the spring. They all seemed pretty good, one or two may have had tight clearances but I think that is better than having slack. I run 93octane, but yesterday I put a quarter bottle of Chevron Techron Fuel system cleaner into my tank and rode hard for about 45 minutes. By the time I got home I found that the idle and overall running of the bike felt much smoother. For instance, when i use the engine braking down hill I find the bike will be a little rough, but by the end of the ride yesterday the thing was really smooth and I was impressed. I know its posslbe that a lot of buildup in the cumbustion chambers can cause pinging and I thought that was it, but now I will try the spacer idea you guys have suggested and if that still doesn't kill the noise I will have one more thing off the list. Kiai, thanks for that insight because I really think that I might be overreacting to a normal noise associated with too much load in the wrong gear. Because like I said, if I go froma dead stop through the gears the noise never appears, its only when I am in part throttle conditons and open her up heavy. I will be riding tonight and will let you guys know if I can get a sapcer on the sprocket and how that works out. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:20 PM

well that wasn't it either, but is actually getting a bit better now that I am really paying attention to gear selection and I've been running the techron in this tank full. It could very well be pining but I use high octane and it happens in the upper revs so i'm moving quickly by the time it happens, makes it hard to really observe the noise and whatnot. But the aded a spacer to the sprocket and that has no play now so its off the list. I will keep using the techron and in the fall I will start to run Amsoil synthitic because I use mineral Repsol right now and I would rather be safe. THe bike runs awesome, so as long as I can punch it in the right gear I don't think it will bother me. Oh, and you know it also occured to me that I have a 4 degree ignition advancer and even though I called and asked about detination the guys there still said it wouldn't cause it. Who knows?

Quick Reply: Acceleration Noises?