CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

96 CBR 900 wont start this is complicated

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 96 CBR 900 wont start this is complicated

Last year i was riding it and was doing about 80mph down a straight away coming upto a stop sign and all of a sudden the bike just bogged out and i tried to get it started and would not start up so i went and got my truck and took it home now since the weather is nice ive pulled it out today and looked at it i get the clicking from the starter sol. under the seat and all the fuses are good so here i was thinking it was my starter so i removed that and grounded while it was removed to see if it would turn over it sure did the starter works and the ign button works lights come on everything but when i installed the starter it wouldnt crank over the engine so i kept the stator cover off to see what was going on internally i could see the starter moving just a little (like just enough to know it works but it seemed like the gears behind the wheel where the stator goes on to is like seized or something)could it be something internal from there that isnt allowing the engine to turn over? i cant even turn the wheel by hand any suggestions and this all happend last year it just bogged out when i was riding i tried giving it gas and it would bogg out faster so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:14 AM

Wow that was hard to read.

1. Test the battery. Disconnect all the cables and use a volt-meter to see if it still has a charge, and if so, how much charge does it have?

2. If it's bad, it could be just a bad battery that needs to be replaced or charged.

3. Assuming the battery is fine, connect it to the bike again and turn the engine ON.

Use the volt-meter on the battery again and see if the bike is charging the battery at the proper level.

4. If the battery is not getting a good charge, it could mean your charging system is bad....regulator/rectifier, stator or both....also maybe the wiring harness needs to be checked too.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:36 PM

If the flywheel isnt turning be careful that the engine hasnt seized up altogether.

Not what anyone wants to hear but it may be a possibility.
especially if it just locked up on you. If the engine was still running when it locked up i would lean toward and engine problem. If it was turned off and wouldnt restart i would lean toward a starting/charging fault.

Just my 2c but i hope its something easy.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:47 PM

Yeah its not the battery had the cover off for the fly wheel took the chain of and had the bike in my bike harness could not spin the flywheel by hand so i put the chain back on and put it in 5th rocked it back and fourth put it back in neutral and still nothing my assumption after reading a lot into this my rings might of melted to the cylinder but ppl have been saying that mystery oil or wd40 of pjb spray and let it soak into the engine a little if its not the rings and something else like a bearing' itll help break it loose but either way its ganna have to be rebuilt bored over over size rings ect any idea on price for this i mean i got another engine that through a rod through the bottom end of the motor so maybe just changing the tops out?

Old 06-22-2010, 03:33 PM

Sorry man that sucks . If you look at eBay there are a couple of engine listed right now. I plan to buy another engine and rebuild it for a replacement in case mine ever takes a dump on me. One way or another it's major surgery for your engine. Pull the head and have a look and see if it's messed up or just the pistons. You may " get away " with an over size rebore and piston/ring set.

Good luck

Old 06-22-2010, 04:07 PM

Pull a sparkplug and see if you can detect any aluminum fragments on it. Then drain the oil and see if you can see any gold flakes/particles in the oil. As for cost, aftermarket piston kit will run you around 5-600 bucks for a 1mm over (945). Boring around here runs you about 200. Not sure what year they started doing it, but later model RR's were nikisil coated so that's more money if yours has to be coated. As someone already suggested, you might be better off financially buying a used motor off ebay.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:23 PM

well what about not buying a new/used motor and buying a engine case everything but the guts?

Old 06-23-2010, 10:27 PM

If that's all that was damaged, that would work. I've seen them go for 150-200 on ebay before. I have a set, but it's an 893 not a 919 and wouldn't do you any good.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by jrzy211
well what about not buying a new/used motor and buying a engine case everything but the guts?

But then why would you fit your old piston etc to a new bottom end?
Or am I misunderstanding what you mean?
As I read it there is a good possibility that pistons/rings may have welded themselves to the cylinder liner. In that case you would need to replace everything including bearing ( mains and rods ). It's all going to depends on what has actually caused the failure.

Also cbrracer what engine parts do you have for the 893????? I might be looking for some just shortly

Old 06-25-2010, 08:23 PM

Assorted internals...rods, oil pumps, shift drums, forks, good set of cases (has been decked 25 thousandths...should really scream). Got a guy in GA wanting me to put his 945 together for him in exchange for complete but torn down 893. I was planning on putting it together with the decked case and new bearings/rings and selling it complete. What are you looking for? I may have 2 of something. I had 2 virgin cranks but guy from SC bought both of them (talk about something hard to find). Just stick a Blackbird motor in there, you'll be glad you did

Quick Reply: 96 CBR 900 wont start this is complicated